Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: reaction mechanism-dumbshit question maybe
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 12:44
reaction mechanism-dumbshit question maybe

A compound of the type R-S-CH2-CH2-X is hydrolized in water very rapidly and a cyclic sulfonium intermediate has been proposed as the rate determining step. The writeup (this is from a textbook) indicated formation of one product: RSCH2CH2OH (+HCl). Unfortunatley I can't draw this but its a simple diagram with the two methyls and sulfur atom making a triangle; the sulfur carrying the positive charge. If the only product is the straight RS-ethanol, it seems that one of the methyls was attacked by water preferentially. Yet the intermediate is symmetrical so why not 50% iso-product? I feel like I might be missing something really obvious but since I can't see it, I'm sticking my neck out (and maybe my foot in.) I'm studying up on reactions and mechanisms. It's been a long time ...

Thanks,
CRX

PS added:

The Text is: Miller, Bernard, 1998, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Reactions and Mechanisms, Prentice Hall. The reaction is on page 177.

[Edited on 23-7-2007 by chemrox]
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 14:50

Do you mean like this :

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/addene2.htm

the nucleophile is breaking the C-S bond as it attaches to the C, so that carbon must become 'normal' or beta to the sulfur, right?
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 17:04

Yes and no. In the example of a sulfur mustard the "R" group is attached to the sulfur atom and the two methyls forming the bse of the cyclic sulfonuim ion are completely equivalent.
I tried attaching the page; we'll see how it worked.

sulfonium-shrunk.jpg - 59kB
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 19:57

Because the methyl group that is attacked is the one that breaks away from the sulfur. You can't have an iso-product because it would be something like R-CH2(OH)-CH2 which is impossible.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2007 at 20:11

Same thing - the carbon being attacked gives up its bound with the sulfur, which means the sulfur will be beta to that carbon. The only way to get iso, if by iso you mean something like S-C(OH)-CH3 is for the carbon being attacked to keep the bound to sulfur and lose a hydrogen.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2007 at 15:52

I knew there was something there I wasn't seeing. Now it seems obvious. Thanks to you both!

Go To Top