Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oxalic acid extraction?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-8-2007 at 00:07

@Lurker- open a checking account and they'll send you a Visa debit card. Us that as a credit card to order stuff.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 15-8-2007 at 04:27

In the 1907 German article here, there is passing mention of reduction of V+5 to +4 with sugar and acid, with the meat of the article being the highest yielding form of the nitric acid oxidation of sugar, with a small amount of V2O5. Perhaps someone will volunteer details to everyone else.

The other one is one of the IEC sawdust refs from not_important, as the whole thing instead of the first page.

Attachment: oxalic.zip (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 477 times

Per
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2007 at 08:15

Here are the instructions and attemptions:

http://www.versuchschemie.de/topic,6424,-Oxals%E4ure.html

http://www.versuchschemie.de/htopic,9408,.html

As you can see no V2O5 is needed and 65% HNO3 is enought.
Good german practice for you:D
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 16-8-2007 at 14:27

Why should anyone not add a trifling amount of V2O5 to a reaction that eats massive amounts of nitric acid (through I suppose much can be reclaimed in some form) for a small return of oxalic acid, when very nearly double the yield could be obtained with it? It looks more and more like a handy substance that serious oxidation experimenters should have.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 04:38

not_important, thanks for the info.. i will try as soon as possible and post the results (i'm not in my home now).

i'm thinking in use a good vessel (thats give more surface to air), and a metal hose above it , connected to an aquarium pump , to let more fresh air come near it.. and also the time of reaction, as you say, should be keep in mind.. what about ¿ can this hose feeding fresh air be a improvement (or just a waste of energy ¿ ) ¿

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 07:56

The convection currents set up from the heating generally give good air flow. What's more important is the stirring of the fusion mass to insure complete exposure to the air, you're not dealing with a thing liquid but rather a semi-solid mass.

A variant on this would be to pump air through a refluxing mixture of NaOH and ethylene glycol, which also will yield oxalic acid. There's a Japanese patent on recycling PET plastic through alkaline hydrolysis under pressure, giving TPA and sodium oxalate. The pressure is used to get an adequate supply of oxygen in the mix, reflux with a good condenser arrangement should work with the less viscous plain glycol.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 20-8-2007 at 05:50

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important :
A variant on this would be to pump air through a refluxing mixture of NaOH and ethylene glycol, which also will yield oxalic acid. There's a Japanese patent on recycling PET plastic through alkaline hydrolysis under pressure, giving TPA and sodium oxalate. The pressure is used to get an adequate supply of oxygen in the mix, reflux with a good condenser arrangement should work with the less viscous plain glycol.

This would be very promising!!! thank you!
please , what is the patent number?
i`m more and more convinced that PET becomes a very nice and attractive choice for amateur chemist... that`s stuff is pratically of free price! undesired trash for many people...

theoretic speculations:

PET --saponification---> alcaline terephthalate and ethylene glycol

alcaline terephthalate --acid---> TPA

EG ----> EGDN, oxalic acid (credit to you),solvent,etc

TPA ---> benzene (via alcalinization and decarboxylation -- soda lime ) , kevlar (although had to handle thats another "fun project" :D via 1,4-diamino benzene) , etc

benzene ---> many compounds.

not_important, thanks again to advise about stirring the mass.. i will try as soon my holidays comes.. oxalic acid is very attractive

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top