Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ballotechnics
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 14:36

I can slap CuO + Al with a hammer and get a bang. Axt has video of such a charge being fired upon, producing an impressive sparking explosion. It probably also goes off by shock waves (pressure or friction merely being an easier way to generate a similar effect). Is it, therefore, a "ballotechnic" thermite?

Fe2O3 + Al probably doesn't ignite under such "simple" conditions though, so "thermite" (unqualified, unlike specifically copper thermite or others) wouldn't be such.

Tim

P.S. Liquified phlogistion is quite easy to come by, better known as CO2. It isn't the negative-mass type, though.

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 14:50

Phlogiston is the " fifth " element after earth , water , air , and fire.
These represent the four common states of matter , soild , liquid ,
gas , and plasma. Being the alchemical transforming element ,
one could regard phlogiston as energy. Clearly a cup of photons
has no mass.

halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 15:16

@Sauron:
Quote:
I do not see phlogiston in the Periodic Table, I can buy a tank of compressed oxygen but not compressed phlogiston...

Technically speaking, all phlogiston is is the opposite of our ordinary conception of oxygen. Sort of like "un-oxygen" or "anti-oxygen" (Of course the latter not being antimatter which is different) Hence phlogiston theory being plausible if you can wrap your head around negative mass. And plus Newtons theories thought to be laws were overturned by Einstein. Einstein's theories (though quite beautiful) now thought to be law might so be overturned by someone else. The point is, you never know. This is a basic understanding in science.
Seeing as there is no universal reference in the universe, and thus everything being relative, it would make some sense in a way to describe the sun as moving around the earth. It all comes down to perspective much in the same way you could describe oxygen (or fluorine, or other such materials) as the opposite of phlogiston. (Hence making it a workable theory)
As for the flat earth, there is a place for people that cling to familar notions and refuses to acknowledge alternative perspectives. Sauron, this looks like it may become your new home: www.theflatearthsociety.org

@12AX7
Unfortunately, the pressures usually required by ballotechnic materials are quite high, but technically (I seem to use that word quite often!) it would be admissible. However, the key criterion (or is it criteria???) would be change in volume. Do you have any data on that specific? And CO2 Phlogiston, ;) Funny.

@franklyn
classically, Phlogiston was the substance that was released to explain fire, so the existence of Phlogiston and Fire as separate elements wopuld seem to be a very fine if at all existant one. Though it is an interesting parallel.

And now, back to Ballotechnics. Which is even more interesting than Phlogiston theory!

[Edited on 18-8-2007 by halogen]

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 16:26

Where was your post?

What's so hard to people about sorting through these quote tags, anyway? You put "quote"'s around what you want quoted!

Edit: and if you want an example, you can hit "quote" on that post and get its entire contents, bbcode and all, in your edit window to view. Which also works for seeing how to do images or links (not that those are any different in syntax).

Tim

[Edited on 8-17-2007 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 21:07

Sorry. Theory that remains unshakeable over time and against all challenges is something more than theory.

Until a better theory comes along.

Phlogiston is bullshit. Fifth element my ass. Alchemy schmalchemy. This is science not mysticism. Science progresses, it does not regress.

If you think otherwise perhaps you should apply to be potionsmaster at Hogwarts. I hear there's a vacancy.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2007 at 21:43

@12AX7, is that hitting of CuO and Al with a hammer, ignition by shock, or perhaps by friction?

I am not at all convinced that what you are describing is a ballotechnic process. Sounds to me like a very conventional thermite reaction.

O3 and not_important did their best early on in this thread to get goblin on the track of what ballotechnics is, rather than what ir is NOT. But he was reluctant, and needed harsher convincing. Sometimes it takes a pounding, like your copper oxide and aluminum powder.

Nickel and aluminum, not nickel oxide, now that is not a thermite reaction. If that is induced by shock absent friction, spark, flame, etc. then perhaps it quaifies.

I'd still like to see some hard lit. on this topic.
goblin
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 05:45
interesting

It seems that these can be used in air breathing units for underwater activity.

http://csat.au.af.mil/2025/concepts/810007.HTM

advancements in innovation has been made already with these types of materials
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 05:57

Read the thing, "submittal by the general public" - it's an anonymous posting.

Red mercury stabilized by buckballs! BALLS!

Stop wasting this forum's time with whatever kitty litter you can drag in from the underbelly of cyberspace.

Furthermore, do you really think a HYPERSONIC AIR BREATHER refers to an underwater system? It refers to a ramjet,. But never mind since it is total bunkum anyway.

[Edited on 18-8-2007 by Sauron]
goblin
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 06:04
yep

you know s I would be more apt to respond to you in a proper manner if you did not make such childish statements like "kitty litter of cyberspace??"

anyway there is realy nothing about that article that is not worthy of at least pondering.

As of right now the only critique I wil take note from is mods not your tom foolery...there one for your vocab bud.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 06:19

You want to hear from a moderator?

You can have it your own way.

Meanwhile here is yet another page of debunking of your magical miracle mercury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_mercury

Meanwhile let me summarize why I object to this thread and to you.

1. You started this thread with spouting off about red mercury, making wild claims about its properties and utility in weapons making. And you asked for help in a synth of similar materials.

I and others questioned the more absurd claims, and your definition of ballotechnics, and eventually, the very existance of your three examples (red mercury Hg2Sb2O7, Osmium-187m and Platinum-186m). And while you failed to produce a shred of evidence for your position, and in fact some of your own references impeached your position, some of us began amassing more and more evidence of the non-existance of these substances and their long history of use in hoaxes and frauds.

2. All this about nuclear weapons has NOTHING to do with amateur science, which is the subject of this forum.

3. Briefly you relented and said you just wated to talk about real ballotechnic materials like Ni/Al

But now you have come up with a spurious web page in an attempt to reintroduce the bogus red mercury.

STOP insulting the intelligence of the members of this forum with all this malarky.

This is not a science fiction forum.

Hg density 13.6
Sb density 6.69

but your Hg2Sb2O7 is supposed to have a density of 20

Must be some very heavy oxygen!

I would expect an alloy of equal proportions of Hg and Sb on a gram-atom basis to have a density of about 10, and any oxide of such an alloy to have a lower density.

SO GET REAL!

Oh, I forgot, it's IRRADIATED. Must be really chock full o'neutrons, to get to d = 20.

Who do you think you are kidding?

There is no such material

There is no Os187m

There is no Pt186m

[Edited on 18-8-2007 by Sauron]
goblin
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 13:06
interesting

nice
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2007 at 18:04
Isotope Explorer software - free

The Table of Isotopes (ToI) compiled by the Isotope Lab at UC Berkeley and published by Wiley, is the definitive reference on all known isotopes and nuclides.

http://ie.lbl.gov/education/isotopes.htm

You will NOT find your phony metastable Os and Pt in there.

Because they do not exist.

You will find them mentioned prominently in several accounts of numerous nuclear hoaxes and frauds or scams. And that is the only place you will find them.

The same goes for "red mercury". LANL (Los Alamos Natl Lab.) did a study on "red mercury" with the same result. HOGWASH.

Stop shovelling this rubbish around here. If you want to discuss ballotechnics, come up with some bona fide ballotechnic materials to discuss and some peer reviewed journal references to support your claims.

Absent that I'd rather watch reruns of Gilligan's Island than read your posts, and I hate Gilligan's Island.

Here is link to home page of the excellent Isotope Explorer software available for FREE download.

http://ie.lbl.gov/isoexpl/isoexpl.htm

Optionally you can download the ENDSF database (Encapsulated Nuclear Data Structure Files) and the References database. Or you can skip this quarter-Gb download and simply access these databases anytime via the web.

A great antidote for nuclear blarney.

Here's the manual for Isotope Explorer. When I first used this it was still DOS and called VuENSDF.

[Edited on 19-8-2007 by Sauron]

Attachment: man.pdf (653kB)
This file has been downloaded 931 times

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top