Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How do I make CsSeSc, any ideas!!
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 06:41

The stoichiometric values you want simply do not appear to occur, there are compounds in the general class but the simple formula all give apparent bonding of arounbd 2, with metal-metal bonds taking up the slack, and nothing like that with A(I) metals.

There was a lot of research on these done in the `90s. In this decade it appears to have moved outside the US, appearing in journals less accessible to those in the US. I've found a number of reports in the field from researchers in China that may not show up in any English language indexes as of yet.

Attachment: 5611x1527.pdf (483kB)
This file has been downloaded 602 times

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 06:43

FWIIW none of those three elements is a netalloid like As or Ge so a semiconductor is a wee bit dubious.

Cs and Se do have optoelectronic properties. As I said earlier. Sc does not.

If this is related to an invention I suggest you do not bandy it about on the Web any further. This thread is already on Google, you know. As is your thread on that other group forum.

Thermionic emitters are simply electron sources for CRTs, usually they are filaments like tungsten wire which can emit electrons when heated resistively. Don't ask me what the Russians or Georgians are up to with Cs2Se in this regard but I doubt it is picture tubes for television sets. Some sort of electron beam device, I guess, not necessarily a weapon but not necessarily NOT so. The Springer link is there if anyone wants to find out. Not my cup of cha. Neither is inorganic chemistry nor materials science. I am an organiker through and through and if it isn't made mostly of carbon, it makes my eyes glaze over.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 08:06

You don't need a metalliod to have a semiconductor. Nickel oxide doped with lithium oxide is a semiconductor, for example. Many of the metal cluster compounds have metallic or semiconductive electrical properties, as do a number of purely organic compounds. Nitrogen doped diamond is a semiconductor.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 08:22

True but none of those are remotely like CsSeSc.

The thread author is I think being a little disingenuous, and he is certainly being coy about his application. That is his prerogative, of course, but it does nothing to reassure me that my alleged conclusion jumping is not spot on.

He does not appear to be equipped to prepare even Cs2Se (CsSeCs) without poisoning himself and his environs. He is pretty vague about what a hood might be and what a scrubber is and how it works.

I'm just dubious about the whole proposition and want nothing to do with it.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 08:49

Gut feel is telling me that what he *really* needs is nothing like that mix he proposes. Or, worse still, someone's already found something that will do what he wants to do, only more cheaply and less complicated. ;)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. I still see no rationale for the selection of those particular three.

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2007 at 09:01

Maybe one of should request that Russian journal article from References, because that is specifically about CsSeCs etc.

That ought to give you your rationale for something, with that sort of structure, but it won't be a semiconductor, methinks. Maybe someone should go further than I did with a Google search, and someone might actually dig in C.A. and Nuclear Science Abstracts.

I think all we are getting from this guy is misdirection, like a stage magician. We are being played for fools. Baffled with bullshit. He won't confide (well, this is no place for it, truely).
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 27-8-2007 at 19:36

There is a software program that I have used before. It searches the literature for ternary compounds of metals and nonmetals. Your search would best start here.

Synthesis should be analagous to this
http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/inocaj/1996/35/i18/...

Have fun finding the compounds which are formed! Usually many are, and x-ray crystalography is required to find which are in your sample.

[Edited on 27-8-2007 by The_Davster]

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2007 at 07:25

I knew some of the rare earth based chalcogenides had semiconductive properties. Here's the likely root of the question behind this thread.
Quote:
Mixed metal chalcogenides formed of lanthanide chalcogenides having the formula MLnX2 where M is selected from the group consisting of Ag, Cu and Au; Ln is one of the elements of the lanthanide family other than Pm and X is selected from the group consisting of S, Se and Te and having electrical properties that range from dielectrics to semiconductors to metallic conductors in a temperature range from -50° C. to in excess of +100° C. T

Note that it is as I suggested - MLnX2.

Attachment: US5458865A1.pdf (648kB)
This file has been downloaded 823 times

perry798
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2011 at 13:40

Be VERY, VERY careful indeed when working with hydrogen selenide!!! I found out why - THE HARD WAY!!! By accident I exposed myself to a HIGH concentration of the gas. The first sign of danger was the change of odor from rotten radishes / 'gas' to STRONG ODOR OF ROTTEN EGGS. I stupidly ignored this warning. Suddenly without any further warning: my nose started STINGING / BURNING UNCONTROLLABLY - NO MATTER HOW QUICKLY I RUSHED TO THE NEAREST WINDOW. Still the UNBEARABLE STINGING / BURNING WOULD NOT GO AWAY, OR EVEN LESSON IN THE SLIGHTEST!!! SEVERAL hours later the stinging / burning in my nose was tolerable and had almost gone - only to be left with a nasty cold that took at least a few days to get over. I could have only been exposed to the gas for a few minutes at the most - while I was transferring some aluminum selenide from one container to another. By the way - always store and handle aluminium selenide away from even air!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top