Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calibration of mechanical analytic balance.
Furch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 17:24
Calibration of mechanical analytic balance.

Howdy peeps...

I've gotten my hands on a Sartorius mechanical balance, weighing in the range of 0.0001-200 g. I've also got a set of weights dedicated to calibration, which I rely on.

My problem is that the optical scale range (0-1000 mg in 10 mg intervals) projects the weight with a factor of about 1.72. I.e. the control weights, according to my balance, weigh 1.72*X mg.

This means that the resolution of my balance has somehow increased with 1.72, which is great. But I don't want that, I want to calibrate the balance so that I can use it in its intended weighing range.

Now, when it comes to whole grams, it's great. No calibration needed there, but when it's a matter of weighing between whole grams, I need to divide by 1.72, and I can't weigh to more than X+0.5814 grams, because that's when I run out of optic scale...

There are lots of wheels and knobs on the beam, and it's pretty logical what knob does what... But I don't understand how I am to decrease the resolution of the scale so that it starts at 0 and stops at 1000 mg, instead of going beyond it when I'm weighing more than 581 mg.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really REALLY appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Furch

[Edited on 2-9-2007 by Furch]

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu

Go To Top