Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: German's chemical legislation
cyberzed
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 08:35
German's chemical legislation

Does anyone know or has experience in ordering chemicals from Germany?
I have placed orders before in UK and never had any problems but i don't have any experience with Germany.
Someone who can tell a bit more about the German suppliers?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 08:55

I have experience with one German supplier and I had no problems. But you must live in the EU, otherwise you might get problems with customs. Of course, it all depends on the type of chemicals ordered, and on the quantities.

If you live in Germany, then keep in mind that any chemical, marked as T, or T+ cannot be shipped to citizens, without a special permit. If you live in the EU, but outside of Germany, then more chemicals can be shipped. If you pick up chemicals, then also if you are a German citizen, you can obtain them all.

Finally, for some chemicals (marked as T, T+ and O, and a few others, such as acetic anhydride, acetaldehyde), you must complete a so-called "Endverbleibserklärung", in which you state that you will not use the chemical for bad things, and that you will not sell or give the chemical to other persons.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
cyberzed
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 12:18

I do live in a european country, not far away from Germany actually. Normally i procure my through other means but since a few things cannot be found OTC i need to order from a chem supplier.

You mention that chemicals marked as T or T+, that you need a special permit for them, i have already heard about the "eindverbleibsverklarung", it's a paper in which you note the reason for purchasing a specified compound, but i thought that was only required for toxic chemicals if you order in germany. The markers that you indicate, is this a standard which is being used in Germany, or is this some kind of an international standard, also do you happen to know where i can find that list?

I have noticed that some country's do have a lower security policy in place for selling chemicals, you mention if you live in Germany, that you can procure any chemical there is. Also in UK obtaining chemicals seems rather easy, like you said it will all depend on the type and quantity of chems that you try to order.

What would be from your own personal opinion the best country to order chems?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 16-10-2007 at 22:16

Quote:
What would be from your own personal opinion the best country to order chems?

China- they only care about the money. So if you don't mind giving business to the Chinese Communist Imperialist Running Dogs...
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 04:28

Its true, it is forbidden by german law to send chemicals labeled as "T" or "T+" to private individuals. That includes such basic chemicals as sodium nitrite. You will have to buy such chemicals in a pharmacy, and it is best to give the pharmacist a written or printed order with company, catalog page, name, ordering number etc... so that the pharmacist doesnt have to search that all himself.

However, you can buy some substances not available in the US, like red phosphorus.
Though you cant buy category 1 drug precursors (german Grundstoffüberwachungsgesetz), this law is also the reason that an Endverbleibserklärung is required for chemicals like acetic anhydride and potassium permanganate.
Also, you cant buy uranium compounds or other radioactive chemicals, but uranium ore is no problem (if you can get it).

Regulations in germany may soon become stricter though, the focus being on explosives precursors.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 07:36

If I have to choose which country I prefer for ordering chemicals, then I can only say that both the UK and Germany are on a shared first position. From both countries roughly the same set of chemicals can be obtained and for me as a EU-citizen, there is no hassle with customs. The only disadvantage of the UK over Germany for me is the higher shipping cost. Shipping from the UK to mainland Europe is insanely expensive for parcels weighing more than 2 kg.

I definitely would not order chemicals from China, except maybe some very simple non-toxic, non-reactive ones. Parcels, coming from China certainly will be checked when they pass customs. For the same reason I also hardly order anything from the USA. There are many interesting chemicals from suppliers in the USA, but these also have to go through customs.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 17-10-2007 at 08:23

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
Parcels, coming from China certainly will be checked when they pass customs.

TOO TRUE! I lost a pair of 50mw green lasers that way :mad:

although I never recieved notification about this only that a report was made that they were somehow "Stolen" <rollyeyes>

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top