Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good book on bonding theory?
Luciangamer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 20:12
Good book on bonding theory?

Since bonding is so important in chemistry, I want to get a book strictly on bonding theory to help my understanding. Chem 207 I'm taking now touches on hybridization and molecular orbitals so minimally it hurts.

So specifically, a book that deals strictly with chemical bonding that a noob might be able to understand, so the more qualitative than quantitative aspects. A cheap price wouldn't hurt either seeing as I'm broke
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 20:57

Pretty much any book with Molecular Orbital Theory in the title that isn't too loaded with math (unless you enjoy quantum theory). Look for one that is well illustrated and has clear, concise writing. Sorry I on't have titles at hand. But a lot of people here will. A college bookstore should have used copies of a good book on the subject. What is Chem 207?
Luciangamer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 21:02

It's an intro chem course for freshman. I took AP chem junior year of HS but it was a joke. Chem 207 is much more intensive but it's still very basic.

I will take a quantitative approach later but I won't be taking quantum mechanics until junior year or maybe sophomore year if I try and squeeze in the prerequisites over the summer, but I'm already planning on taking a summer course.

The reason I'm asking people on this forum is because I'm kind of skeptical of what Amazon.com tells you. I feel I've been duped by their descriptions a couple of times in the past and hopefully someone here can understand what I'm looking for
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2007 at 21:59

Right you are- don't trust advertisements by people who don't know the material. The level of MO book you're looking for is usually one of the texts in the first or second college chem course in the chem major (pre-med) series. I'l try t find the one I used .. I liked it so much I kept it all these years, tutored from it .. taught from it .. and there are others like it. Don't neglect the net either.. I just found this:

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch8/mo....

not bad as an introduction.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 23:05

We've been learning some more advanced bonding theory in my Inorganic Chem class from a symetry perspective. I can't recomend the book really, as we are being taught another method. I will see if I can find where the proceedure comes from. It is based upon group theory. The math is excedingly less complex(at least at this point) that it may appear to be on the surface. It's actually very neat to see how things actually interact, but not so neat when having to use these to make real molecular orbital diagrams. I believe what we are using is called the method of unmoved orbitals, kinda weird, but it seems to work alright.

Nitrogen monoxide suddenly goes from this: http://employees.csbsju.edu/hjakubowski/classes/ch331/oxphos...

To this: http://www.chm.davidson.edu/ChemistryApplets/MolecularOrbita...
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 15:22

The Conservation of Orbital Symmetry

Woodward, R.B. and Hoffmann, R. (1970)

Academic Press

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 15:48

FYI, hybridization is not really how bonding works, its just useful for predicting geometries of organic and other simple compounds.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 19:33
MO Book - very good one

I found a book, quite a few years ago, that I consider a really good one on MO theory. It covers al the background, did I say, "all?" Shame on me. It covers the bakground in sufficient mathematical detail and addresses the areas most useful to chemists very well. The graphics are good and that's imprtant to me. It talks about group theory which is necessary to spectroscopists, but doesn't require a thorough appreciation in order to apprehend the essential concepts. It is not for the mathematically challenged but what physical chemistry book is? It is, Quanta, by PW Atkins, Oxford University Press, Oxford, etc.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top