Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mechanism of benzoic acid formation from butyl lithium
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 19:53
mechanism of benzoic acid formation from butyl lithium

The reaction of 2,3,5-trimethoxy bromobenzene with butyl lithium yielded the corresponding trimethoxybenzoic acid as an intermediate in a synthesis I read earlier tody. I'm not seeing why.
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 21:53

Are you sure those are all of the steps?

The only thing that is possible is the formation of 1-Butyl-2,3,5-trimethoxybenzene. There are no other oxygens to make a benzoic acid. The only way to get the benzoic acid is to oxidize the butyl side chain.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2007 at 00:48

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
The reaction of 2,3,5-trimethoxy bromobenzene with butyl lithium yielded the corresponding trimethoxybenzoic acid as an intermediate in a synthesis I read earlier tody. I'm not seeing why.

The reaction of f BuLi with 1-bromo-2,3,5-trimethoxybenzene in THF at -78°C gives 2,3,5-trimethoxyphenyl lithium trough metal-halogen exchange metathesis (a SET driven reaction). You omitted which reagent they used to prepare 2,3,5-trimethoxybenzoic acid from 2,3,5-trimethoxyphenyl lithium. They could have introduced a fast stream of CO2 in the reaction mixture. Other possibilities are to quench the aryl lithium with excess dimethyl carbonate or methyl cyanoformate, following by hydrolysis of the so formed methyl 2,3,5-trimethoxybenzoate. Direct lithiation of 1,2,4-trimethoxybenzene is no option here, since it would form 2,3,6-trimethoxyphenyl lithium, where lithium is coordinated with two MeO groups – the reaction would result in the wrong benzoic acid, 2,3,6-trimethoxybenzoic acid. Hence the use of 1-bromo-2,3,5-trimethoxybenzene.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 19:05

woops, yes you're so right. CO2 was mentioned!

Now I have it .. just like the Grignard using CO2..

thanks to Nicodem and Sauron (U2U)
CRX

PS- I just got a book I'm excited about : The Art of Writing Reasonable Reaction Mechanisms by Grossman, UKY, 2002.

Go To Top