Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moving to New Orleans in Spring... Good Schools?
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 18-11-2007 at 13:43
Moving to New Orleans in Spring... Good Schools?

I was seeing if anyone knew of a school that they would recommend. Preferably one that has an excellent science/chemistry department. And definitely one who's credits will transfer anywhere because I'm moving back home after the semester is over. Price is an issue but it is not everything. I don't think LSU is an option for me because of distance/price (not to mention I might only be there for a semester) but if it's good enough I might consider the drive... maybe...

I only have 3 semesters of college completed and I "majored" in IT stuff. Mostly networking and some programming. My highest math completed is college algebra so I'll have to start with the basic chem courses. I'm most interested in organic chemistry so that's what I'll be pursuing.

Sauron, I know you are from New Orleans so really, this question is directed towards you.

*P.S. Is this in the right forum?

[Edited on 18-11-2007 by MagicJigPipe]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 18-11-2007 at 15:54

The only good schools in the south are Chapel Hill, Raleigh & Johns Hopkins. Unless you count Texas as part of the south. There are a couple of good ones in TX. Are there actual schools in LA? ;^)

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2007 at 18:39

We don't like for folks to learn us stuff her in the south! We're too preoccupied with marrying our cousins and cookin dope!

But really, some of the best schools in the country are in the south. Maybe not Ivy league but who cares about those schools anyway?

Loyola University, University of Arkansas are good I've heard.

But as far as chemistry and sciences go... I don't know.

Chemrox, don't even get me started on TX! I have a bad experience every time I go there... Except for San Antonio. I like San Antonio.
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 18-11-2007 at 19:03

What about Tulane which is in New Orleans?

Emory University is in Atlanta
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 18-11-2007 at 21:21

I know and the guy whose book I'm reading teaches in KY (the jelly is named after the state). Tulane is a possible choice. I did ug work at a prestigious school and that was a major mistake.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 03:23

Tulane is fine, UNO used to be fine and maybe still is. Loyola is aso good. All in New Orleans. UNO started as LSU-NO.

Tulane is the most expensive, Loyola (a Jesuit institution) in middle and UNO least costly even with out of state fees.

I am not sure to what extent UNO has recovered from Katrina. Damage at Tulane and Loyola would have been a lot less. They are uptown and their campuses adjoin. UNO is at the lakefront.

It is not practical to commute daily to Baton Rouge to attend LSU while living in NO.

I was born and raised and educated in New Orleans and still have some family there. Take it back, chemrox!

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 19-11-2007 at 10:08

Shucks now, every one forgets about Vanderbilt, that's not a bad institution at all! Beautiful campus too!

I have a friend who goes to Tulane and she really likes it there.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 20:51

Speaking of Katrina. The last time I visited NO about 6 months ago I had to go downtown by myself and ended up getting lost. I was amazed to see several burnt cars still sitting in the middle of the street (in different places). It literally looked like someone threw a molotav cocktail through the window and burned it!

I have no idea where it was but it was close to downtown. There were a lot of rectangular, abandoned houses in the area.

Other than that (and all the trash piled up on the banks of the lake and a large building hotel? in Metairie that still had a huge chunk out of it) NO seems to be cleaning up nicely. Especially the French Quarter.

[Edited on 21-11-2007 by MagicJigPipe]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 21:31

The French Quarter, being one of the highest places in the city, topographically, was one of the least flooded, along with the Garden District.

When the city was established the highest points were occupied first and as it expanded people settled in progressively lower lying areas, eventually making the construction of the seawalls and levees necessary; eradication of yellow fever and drainage of swampland facilitated the process. Nevertheless, New Orleans remains mostly below sea level, and trapped between a very large and shallow lake and the Mississippi River. In hindsight, a silly-ass place to build a city. But then that is true of a lot of major city sites.

I left there in 1982 and I will never live there again. When people ask me if I miss New Orleans, I answer "Yes" but they don't really know what they are asking. The New Orleans I miss has not existed for decades. Katrina was just a coup de grace. Thomas F.Wolfe was right. You really can't go home again.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 21:45

Yeah, there seem to be conspiracy theories and rumors floating around that "they" purposefully diverted floodwaters from the french quarter to the poorer residential areas for monetary reasons. I, however, always believed this to be bullshit and theorized that that particular area must be higher than the rest and that's the reason they built there in the first place. I suppose I was right, but my girlfriend's family will never believe me.

[Edited on 21-11-2007 by MagicJigPipe]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 22:56

Like 99.99% of conspiracy theries and rumors, that's a lot of crap. The seawalls broke where they broke, no one arranged it, no one could have diverted the floodwaters from anywhere to anywhere.

The lakeshore residential areas were under 17 feet of water and are among the most exclusive and expensive parts of town (well, they were before Katrina anyway) Lake Vista, Lake Terrace etc. One of my aunts lost a $250,000 home there, it was insured but they were quoted half a mill to rebuild so they bought a house in Metairie instead. The conspiracy theory does not account for the neighborhoods of the rich and powerful being inundated, does it?

Fashist
Hazard to Self

Mood: Powerful

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 12:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Tulane is fine, UNO used to be fine and maybe still is. Loyola is aso good. All in New Orleans. UNO started as LSU-NO.

Tulane is the most expensive, Loyola (a Jesuit institution) in middle and UNO least costly even with out of state fees.

I am not sure to what extent UNO has recovered from Katrina. Damage at Tulane and Loyola would have been a lot less. They are uptown and their campuses adjoin. UNO is at the lakefront.

It is not practical to commute daily to Baton Rouge to attend LSU while living in NO.

I was born and raised and educated in New Orleans and still have some family there. Take it back, chemrox!

Interesting.
Mr sauron you are not in thai?
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 06:51

Yes I am in Thailand. amd have been for almost twenty years.

Go To Top