Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: High temperature/solvent resistant adhesive (?)
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-2-2008 at 07:12

Sodium silicate dries out during the heating, usually puffing up a bit in the process. It's mostly a solution of the silicate in water.

With cement some of the water is more strongly bound into the silicate structure, not just a solvent. Cement tends to sit there getting hot until it explodes.
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 1-2-2008 at 11:07

Thank you not_important...

I buyed right now 1kg of sodium metassilicate that is waiting for me for future attempts..

*Probably* this plus Mg silicate would be a perfect choice , since the only thing is put this aqueous paste on things to gasket and the *possibility* of recovering the material again for next uses, since it is a brittle material, as someone said before..So it only needs grinding , put some water and reuse it again, over and over !!!:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqua_Fortis_100% :
At frogfot's page (acetone synth from calcium acetate), he talks about a special "aluminium paste" used to help in seal the pyrolisis can and able to resist IIRC 1100°C !!!

Where I can obtain this kind of adhesive?

Its only a theoric thinking, but, would be reliable to mix some fine Al powder (bronzing powder) with some sort of gel/cement for small high heat applications.. (?) even maybe some Na silicate..

[Edited on 1-2-2008 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 01:26

@not_important and microcosmicus - thanks.
LSD25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Psychotic (Who said that? I know you're there...)

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 02:06

I recall seeing the use of an alkali fluoride (v.small amounts) with the silicate as a seal for mid-temp. dry distillations.

Whhhoooppps, that sure didn't work
skippy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 20:42

I've seen some exhaust putty with contents listed as sodium silicate, nickel and steel. Probably its sodium silicate and stainless steel powder. I've never used it but it seemed like an interesting product. I don't know exactly why it would be better than straight sodium silicate, but hey, it might be worth a shot.

[Edited on by skippy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top