Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Need a new vacuum gauge... suggestions?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 05:12

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
What the vacuum pump does is remove all the air so that the mercury can be poured through that restriction without having to fight air trying to escape countercurrently.
You might be able to get it filled in stages. Your pump will evacuate to about 1/15 of atmospheric, which is to stay that it will evacuate 14 parts out of 15 of whatever gas is there. So instead of fighting counterflows, just get most of the air out and compress the rest with the mercury column. After that, invert the column and the remaining air will bubble up, but this time through wide tubing in the close end. Now evacuate again and repeat. Two or three rounds of this should get you enough fill. You should be able to get about 3/4 fill, say, in the first round.

Another idea. I'm not sure you want to try this one. If you seal off the system while evacuated, a heat gun should decrease the viscosity of the mercury, while not generating significant overpressure to the glass. You'd really have to heat it to get back to 1 atm of internal gas pressure; there looks to be a gasket that would fail first. Let it cool while sealed in a position so that the bits of condensing mercury vapor coalesce toward the reservoir.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-9-2011 at 08:46

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  

You might be able to get it filled in stages. Your pump will evacuate to about 1/15 of atmospheric, which is to stay that it will evacuate 14 parts out of 15 of whatever gas is there. So instead of fighting counterflows, just get most of the air out and compress the rest with the mercury column. After that, invert the column and the remaining air will bubble up, but this time through wide tubing in the close end. Now evacuate again and repeat. Two or three rounds of this should get you enough fill. You should be able to get about 3/4 fill, say, in the first round.

That seems like it should work. If my current efforts to acquire use of a hard vacuum through a friend at a university do not pan out I will try it. Thanks.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 21-11-2011 at 19:29

As stated earlier in this thread I acquired a Bennert manometer but it came unfilled with mercury. I had the necessary mercury (~4mL) but also needed to be able to pull a deep vacuum (<1mmHg) for the filling process.

Earlier I had bought a Harbor Freight 2.5CFM single stage vacuum pump (now <$100) rated at 75 micron (0.075mmHg). The pump worked well for vacuum distillations but I was skeptical that it would actually pull a deep vacuum.

After numerous attempts to get others to help me (some sincerely tried, others blew me off) I got fed up and bought my own Pirani vacuum gauge capable of reading down to 1 micron (0.001mmHg).

Today I set up the system I will need to fill my Bennert manometer. I was delighted when the system pulled right down to 121 micron (0.121mmHg). So it looks like I'm good to go.

Below is a picture of the system at 121 micron absolute pressure. I'm sorry that I didn't use a flash for the close-up of the gauge reading. You'll have to trust me on that.

Questions and comments are welcomed. But please don't remind me that now that I have the Pirani I don't need the Bennert.

Bennert fill setup.JPG - 97kB vacuum gauge.JPG - 71kB

[Edited on 22-11-2011 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-11-2011 at 23:07

Hey magpie I have the same pilot plus though directly attached to the pump on a tee.Make sure you always release the vacuum gradually,I did the sensor on mine and fortunately they replaced the unit on warranty.

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 22-11-2011 at 09:09

Quote: Originally posted by starman  
Make sure you always release the vacuum gradually,I did the sensor on mine and fortunately they replaced the unit on warranty.

Thanks for the warning, starman. I will keep that in mind although a globe (or needle) valve would be better for that than my ball valve.

I installed the ball valve for isolation of the gauge prior to shutting off the pump. Hopefully this will help in keeping the gauge sensor from being contaminated with pump oil, etc.

jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 04:51

Can anyone advise me on controlling this pirani gauge.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-three-x-Applied-Materials-Capaci...
Is it simply a matter of putting somewhere between 15 and thirty volts on the correct pins and then perhaps reading the output using a multimeter and converting voltage to pressure (using a chart perhaps)?
Or do I need a precise controller.
Would this elcheepo controler work.
Applied Materials 0190-27313 Capacitance Pirani Gaug

Thanks
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top