Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carbolic Soap ?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 08:27
Carbolic Soap ?

as I`m expecting a shipment of Phenol soon, I`v been considering the MSDS for this material, it seems to be quite the "Chemical Nasty".

now I wash with Carbolic Soap daily and have done for Decades, it`s use goes way to the war but has since fell out of favor for more "Girly" soaps, incidentally, there wasn`t as much of that MRSA back then either! (I wonder why ;) ).

is the use of Carbolic soap in anyway Dangerous at all?
are there newly discovered Health risks or anything to be concerned about?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 08:52

MSDS statement tend to the scary side in most cases, the better for keeping the less knowledgeable types from doing something stupid.

The concentration of phenols in carbolic soap is not that high, most domestic use soaps only had a few percent tops, medical grade ones in the later Victorian and Edwardian eras would hit 20 to 30 percent. A soap making book from the 1920s gives the range as 1 to 5 percent.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 09:13

so Long term exposure to a small amount, no harmful effects?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 13:12

Are you in the UK? Back somewhere in the late 1950's to early sixties, it was discovered that phenol was carcinogenic (along with 99% of substances: if you shave a mouse and paint its skin for long enough, you get a reaction!). 'Carbolic Soap' was then very popular with housewives as a GP and antiseptic soap - in fact I believe 'Carbolic Soap' was a registered trade mark (Lever Bros?) When the news came out the manufacturer withdrew the phenol from the soap but it was still called 'Carbolic', IIRC. I thoiught it had disappeared as a brand, but I haven't lived in UK for years.

Der Alte
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 16:32

I have never seen carbolic soap but when I was young my mother used a "tar soap" for hair washing. This was supposed to fight dandruff. I think it contained coal tar, which likely included phenol. It came in a metal box, one of which I used for years to keep a bar of soap in when
camping.

edit: Correction- I just found the metal box. It was Packer's Tar Soap of Mystic, Connecticut . "Pure as the Pines" - so it was most likely made from pine tar. But I think that the original tar soaps were made from coal distillates, at least according to Wikipedia.

As I remember, the soap was black.

[Edited on by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 18:08

"Tar soap", containing pine tar, made by the anaerobic pyrolysis of pine wood, contains pine creosote, which has mostly the three isomeric cresols as its active principles, along with the isomeric xylols, alpha and beta pinene, and methanol.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-1-2008 at 18:12

The dangers are somewhat over exaggerated, phenol is still used in sprays for sore throats, only 1-2% but still I would say cumulative effects must be small, though large exposures to the concentrated material, especially in chloroform solutions can be very dangerous.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 21-1-2008 at 00:10

Yes, Chloraseptic contains 1% phenol. I remember recently buying some shampoo that said it contained coal tar. I was unaware that phenol was so easy to get. I always considered it to be one of those things I would be better off synthesizing because it was nearly impossible to get. Looking through google I found some extremely expensive on sciencestuff. That's it though...

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-1-2008 at 07:33

Ah, coal tar shampoo:

http://www.medicinenet.com/coal_tar_shampoo-topical/article....

We used to use the black tar soap to wash the cats. It knocks the fleas right off, but the cat takes great exception to the treatment:o.

Where 1% phenol is safe to eat in small amounts, I would be less inclined to try the SeS used in Selsun blue (up to 2.5%, IIRC) and it has a LD50 ~140mg/kg (rat, still 9.8g is a lot to eat!).

Paracelsus, again. A small amount is OK, a large amount is not. Phenol burns are usually bad because you don't feel them when they occur (anaesthetic). Pure, deliquescing phenol is one of the few things I have seen embrittle then disintegrate the bottom of PP disposable weighing boats.

So... Soap, not to worry. Pure chemical, respect, standard PPE (gloves, glasses and coat).

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 21-1-2008 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2008 at 18:13

Campho-Phenique : Active Ingredient: Camphorated Phenol (camphor 10.8% and Phenol 4.7% in a light mineral oil).
Noxema Medicated Shaving cream and Noxema may also contain it. I know it used to. It is an anesthetic and antiseptic .

Go To Top