Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: teflon tape ingredients
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-2-2008 at 23:15
teflon tape ingredients

I assume there's something besides teflon in the tape of commerce. But maybe its just the way it's extruded. I found some MSDS, googling aroun but no data on other components or composition other than the fluorocarbon itself. I did notice one of the data sheets came from "Chagrin Falls" OH. Does anyone have any other information? I have found it fairly convenient for sealing ST joints. Was looking for reasons not to use it thus.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 00:54

If it is not an adhesive tape, then it is basically Teflom. The white tape is natural Teflon. pigment is added to get the coloured tapes such as yellow and red. The coloured tapes are generally less porous than the white, and better for use as a seal wrapped around the outside of container and its lid; also they may be better as thread packing when sealing off real nasty stuff.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 24-2-2008 at 12:56

In australia the coloured tapes indicate a thicker tape, with the pink and yellow the same thickness however the yellow is manufactured to a more stringent standard (for gas line work) and is far less porous.
All teflon tape is porous because it is manufactured through sintering, however its physical properties are used well in the design of the tape. When using it intended that the user 'necks' the tape to the point of failure, (this just means stretching it until just almost breaks). This way the porosity is greatly removed and if properly compressed upon itself, and kept clean during application one can simulate cold welding of the polymer.

With practice and if one has access to the wider 1'' tape is is a fairly simple procedure to very easily increase ground glass joint sizes by one increment, especially the smaller ones that require no overlapping just a circular run of the tape upon itself.

and oh yes the only ingredient is ptfe and dyes, the dyes difuse readily out, if they bother you, by soaking in dcm. The standards do not allow for water soluble dyes.

[Edited on 24-2-2008 by Panache]

Go To Top