Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: questions about RDX:
the_Immoralist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2007 at 11:57
questions about RDX:

I know that this has probably been talked about to death, so feel free to remove this post if the need is felt, but I've been looking for the "recipe" on how to make RDX, and I found Megalomania's website (as well as some others), and I'm just wondering, does his method actually work? Will that process actually make RDX? Along with that, I'm rather new to the chemistry scene, and I'm wondering, is there any literature out there that I can read (and/or study) t hat will give me a so called 'crash course' so that I know what everyone else is talking about? Anything to help me understand what is being said. If so, and if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Well, I hope you don't mind that I asked these questions and I hope that someone will be nice enough to provide me with an answer.
the_Immoralist
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2007 at 13:52

Here is the recipe:

[01. Add 335 mL of 100% nitric acid, (free of nitrogen oxides in a 500-mL beaker.)

02. Cool the nitric acid to below 30 degrees C.

03. Add 75 g of hexamine in small portions, while stirring the mixture. (NOTE: During the addition toxic fumes will be produced. Also - the temperature must be kept between 20 and 30 degrees C.)

04. After the hexamine has completely dissolved, slowly heat up the mixture to 55 degrees C while stirring. (Keep the mixture between 50-55 degrees C for 5 minutes and keep stirring.)

05. Now cool the mixture down to 20 degrees C and then let it sit for 20 minutes.

06. Slowly dilute the mixture with four times its volume of cool water to precipitate the RDX from solution. The RDX will precipitate in several hours; after 24 hours there will be no additional precipitation of RDX.

07. Filter the RDX that precipitated from the mixture, add 1 L of 5% sodium bicarbonate solution to adjust the pH to neutral.

08. Dry the pH balanced RDX at room temperature; after drying the RDX is ready to be used.]

Does anyone know as to whether or not this will actually make RDX?
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2007 at 15:00

Just as the carpentry hammer is only as good as the hand that weilds it ,
synthesis recipes are only as good as the cook. It's all hands on. Since
instructions are written for skilled chemists important information is not
metioned such as being wary of breathing NO2 emmisions.
There are enough authoritative sources cited throughout this forum already
for a comparative study , including this from the library - See page 397
http://www.sciencemadness.org/library/books/the_chemistry_of...
Although naration is in arabic there is even a link to a movie you can watch here _
Note the brown fumes and the fume hood !
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6500&a...
In particular read the last closing entry of this thread
This , your post , would be more appropriate in the Beginnings forum.
Would you like instruction on how to tie your shoe laces and blow your nose also.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 14-8-2007 at 15:01

Comments:

1.) We don't generally use "recipes". Chemists are into preparation and synthesis. Recipes are for cooks and those with little chemistry knowledge who wish to reduce themselves to red mist trying to make RDX.

2.) Please use the search engine, located in the upper left of the screen. There is undoubtedly much info to be found.

3.) Be careful and harm no one.

OTT, welcome,

O3

[edit] Sorry Franklyn, post overlap!

[Edited on 14-8-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein

Go To Top