Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Nice Videos
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 20:07
Nice Videos

I used the on-site search engine but could not find a thread dedicated to interesting chemistry-themed videos on the forum. Perhaps this should be a companion to the "Pretty Pictures" thread? Here are my contributions:

A nice video on the preparation of uranium yellowcake from ore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdZouC7CRo

A video of what is apparently chlorine trifluoride doing some interesting stuff to common laboratory personal protective equipment (Plexiglass, rubber glove, clean leather, dirty leather, gas mask, wood and wet glove)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 20:37

A lot of guys here on this board have youtube channels dedicated to chemistry. You find them by reading signatures or in some posts there will be links.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 19:28

Ah, but what about those of us who don't have channels and just want to share interesting videos?
chemcam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 20:03

I was just telling you where to find more videos from members here. Not trying to derail your thread.

amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 21:38

My apologies. Can you post your favorite chem-related video?
chemcam
Hazard to Others

shocked.gif posted on 10-5-2013 at 08:13

Lets see, my favorite video..

From my channel probably: Close-Up Deflagrations Mercury Fulminate
If you watch the video change the default setting to 720p HD so you see all the detail. =]

From other channels I don't really have favorites. I like ones that are clean, high definition, they speak clearly and not have a super long intro and music. I hate k3wl videos where kids post videos of stupid and dangerous things with no safety precautions. Don't get me wrong I love energetics but only with proper experience and safety.

EDIT:
That is one of my earlier videos though, before I spoke much and camera quality was less than current. Still One of my favs.

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by chemcam]

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 11:52

Quote: Originally posted by amazingchemistry  

A nice video on the preparation of uranium yellowcake from ore

That video was made by a nutcase: he's processing a 40,000 CPM material with virtually NO protection whatsoever. At one point he even seems dead set to contaminate his own swimming pool! Later he's drying his yellow cake in front of a fan!

Darwin Award or what? :o

Hint: it's not really the uranium in there that causes the high CPM!

chemcam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:04

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

(cut)...That video was made by a nutcase...

In my opinion a lot of the videos made by ReactionFactory seem to be done carelessly; the energetic videos especially. What seems odd to me is he quit posting videos one year ago which is after he started doing energetics, maybe he was injured?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:59

Energetics... you mean explosive stuff?

Injury can't be ruled out: a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 19:54

I agree about the lack of safety precautions and such. Maybe he does not value his own safety, or the environment? My first reaction when I saw him vacuum filter into his swimming pool was "what the HELL are you doing?" I did not mean to encourage any disregard for safety. With those caveats, I still think it's an interesting video because I hadn't seen any uranium ore processing before and this video showed that it can be done rather simply. What's your favorite video blogfast?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 03:27

my favorites would be of sound, tho ther eis this one with cesium and flourine

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 04:25

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Hint: it's not really the uranium in there that causes the high CPM!

Now, this must be a joke, but I don't get it.

For everyone, I recommend Hegelrast's channel. It is very well explained (with the reactions written out too), it has good chemistry and background music. He doesn't speak though.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:52

Quote: Originally posted by amazingchemistry  
I agree about the lack of safety precautions and such. Maybe he does not value his own safety, or the environment? My first reaction when I saw him vacuum filter into his swimming pool was "what the HELL are you doing?" I did not mean to encourage any disregard for safety. With those caveats, I still think it's an interesting video because I hadn't seen any uranium ore processing before and this video showed that it can be done rather simply. What's your favorite video blogfast?

Imagine also if he had accidentally knocked his unsecured filtration set up into the family’s home swimming pool!

On a chemical level I was very surprised that he managed to dissolve the ore in nothing but hydrochloric acid: none of the ores he mentioned in the intro are carbonate based!

My favourite must be the ‘Will it blend?’ series, especially when he puts his 'You have been warned!' award in his blender too. And guess what: it blends! :cool: There' something Situationist about that! The only question remains 'can he blend his own blender?'...

From an ‘instructables’ point of view, I’d say Nurdrage.

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
Now, this must be a joke, but I don't get it.

No joke here Eddygp. Natural uranium is only very weakly radioactive, negligible really. A bit like thoriated TIG electrodes. But natural uranium ORE is a different kettle of fish altogether as his own measurements show all too clearly. This is the stuff Radium is extracted from: nearly the whole U/Th decay series has had about 4 billion years to accumulate in that kind of ore!

The real danger here is not so much touching it (skin is a good barrier to alpha and beta radiation) but airborne particles that could be ingested or inhaled and increase the risk of internal cancers developing enormously. Safely processing small amounts of that kind of ore, taking painstaking precautions re. airborne materials, is possible but the way ReactionFactory is doing it is about as safe as the Radioactive Boyscout’s exploits.

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by blogfast25]

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 06:54

I really prefer Chem study videos than new videos, especially nurdrage ones.

Xenon trioxide video , REAL::

http://archive.org/details/research_problem_inert_gas_compou...

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
maybe he was injured?

Pretty sure he is fine.

[Edited on 11-5-13 by The_Davster]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 08:54

They don't make them like that anymore, Plante! Good find.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 08:57

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
maybe he was injured?

Pretty sure he is fine.

[Edited on 11-5-13 by The_Davster]

You know this, how? Preparing NI3 for instance with dirty glasswork and no precautions whatsoever isn't smart. Alternatively the family may have gone bankrupt after the Hazmat team had finished cleaning up their dwelling...

amazingchemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 12:20

Thank you VERY much for the Xe video. I agree, they don't make them like that anymore :) Perhaps some of you with channels could do an homage to these nostalgic videos.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 07:48

That uranium video is insanity. Vacuum filtration into the pool, with the setup unsecured teetering on the edge of falling in! In every step of that video I kept thinking how much contamination they are producing, with such a scarily high CPM material too!

Here's some of my favorites:

Slow-motion lithium combustion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZO6BfQf5g
Liquid sulfur crystallization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE0KeZskurI
Ammonium chloride crystallization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRNiagLn9Co
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 11:59

Explosive polymerization of p-nitro-aniline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pNXAtPJp8

Never ceases to wow those who see it for the first time.

Every time someone experiments with uranium compounds this forum goes crazy over it. You guys sneer at chemophobia, but I am sorry to say you sometimes seem a bunch of poorly informed radiophobes yourselves. Radioactivity does not equal instant death.

40,000 counts per minute? of what? gamma/beta/alpha? A number in sieverts would be more informative, and he is holding the detecter against the stone. I am sure the radiation does not pose any significant risk at a small distance.
No, he is not filtering into his pool, he is running an aspirator into his pool. Yes, he may suck up a few droplets and they get diluted into the 100's of liters of pool water. It will not even even come remotely close to exceeding the contamination levels allowable for water for human consumption.
Do you guys realise how much uranium is in kitty litter? Next time the cat makes a dusty mess, go hide in your fallout shelters. Some people live on uranium ore or on a monazite beach. People living in those areas do not suffer from more cancer (in fact, current evidence seems to suggest they there may even be LESS incidences of cancer in those areas).
The excellent sensitivity with which it is possible to detect even tiny spills of radioactive compounds are a great advantage. With the lead/mercury/azides etc I see sometimes here on the forum you will never now where the tiny droplets ended up. Floor->shoe soles->kids bedroom->pacifier?

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 12:31

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Every time someone experiments with uranium compounds this forum goes crazy over it. You guys sneer at chemophobia, but I am sorry to say you sometimes seem a bunch of poorly informed radiophobes yourselves. Radioactivity does not equal instant death.

Start with a strawman argument and then go on as you meant to, eh Phlog? No one claimed "radioactivity equals instant death".

Inhalation/ingestion of particles with a surface count of 40,000 would mean the distance between tissue and source is essentially zero. The risk of this causing cancer is all too real, whatever you think of it.

Follow then some more cartoonish pseudo-arguments, producing more heat than light, designed more to try and offend than enlighten.

One really doesn't have to be a 'radiophobe' (did you come up with that all by yourself?) to understand the inherent dangers of radioactive materials, even in small amounts.

As regards comparing radiological dangers to other forms of hazards (like chemicals), that's a profoundly childish game: each material presents possible hazards of their own and each stands on their own. Truisms like 'X is more dangerous than Y' aren't helpful when it's Y you're dealing with.

Seems the ignoramus here is phlogiston.

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 13-5-2013 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
I really prefer Chem study videos than new videos, especially nurdrage ones.

Xenon trioxide video , REAL::

http://archive.org/details/research_problem_inert_gas_compou...

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by plante1999]

Huh, I thought I already mentioned old ChemStudy films somewhere on SM.
It's been a few years since I've downloaded all of them from archive.org in the maximum possible resolution and quality. They're a true gem.
Sometimes I eat lunch and watch those things. :D

Regarding the uranium thing, that particular video has been discussed before. I've actually attacked the guy in the comment section, but he seems to be ignorant about the danger.

High CMP is due to alpha radiation. He clearly uses a different type of probe so he can pick up such radiation.
If it was beta or gama, 40,000 CPM would be a serious external hazard and some shields would have to be considered even if energies of each particle weren't high.
This way, it's a great inhalation hazard. Dumbass was drying it in front of a fan.

phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2013 at 02:06

Sorry if it offended you blogfast, but I just meant to say let's not overreact to people doing radiochemistry experiments. IMO it's a very interesting video, and do not agree the guy is a 'nutcase'. Ofcourse there is some risk involved (and certainly his methods can be improved upon. I agree the fan is a bad idea, but radiation shielding is really not needed and the pool is no worse than the sewer), but I think it should not be exaggerated. I believe we better not go into the offtopic discussion here to extensively discuss the extent of the risk. I work with radioactive materials professionally on a weekly basis and you can call me childish, 'ignoramus' and whatever if you want but I really don't think that's necessary.

[Edited on 14-5-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2013 at 04:21

Phlogiston:

To insult me you'd have to try a lot harder.

I'll ask you a simple question: would you be happy with poolside filtration of a high CPM material and subsequent drying of the end product with a fan heater if this folly was conducted in YOUR house?

[Edited on 14-5-2013 by blogfast25]

phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2013 at 07:09

I would be allright with the poolside filtration of the amount/type of material he is handling. The few drops/mist that inevitably got aspirated will be not any significant hazard if they get diluted into the whole pool. Worst case: If the whole setup really topples over and the whole mess goes into the pool (he should have used good stand) I would probably drain and clean the pool. An annoyance that could have been avoided, but not a serious hazard to my health.

I think we all agree that the fan heater is a bad idea.

plante1999, thanks for the Xenon chemistry video. Great find!

-----
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top