Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: K-formate
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 14:14
K-formate

I need a supply of potassium formate to use as a proton source for a catalytic hydrogenation (STP conditions). I have the acid and KOH so do I simply make a strong KOH solution, say 6M? and mix the appropriate amount of acid with it? Collect and dry the Crx? Re-crx from EtOH? This seems right but is there a subtlety I have forgotten (or never knew?)
Thanks,
CRX

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
This seems right but is there a subtlety I have forgotten (or never knew?)
Thanks,
CRX

You may want to check the solubility of K formate and see if you can take advantage of it, crystallisation wise, in particular solubility/temperature dependency.

[Edited on 11-11-2014 by blogfast25]

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 14:37

Potassium Formate is Deliquescent. If water free product is important I would recomend washing your recristalization product from Ethanol with Ether. Quickly dry the Ether away (easy task) and store away from air and humidity.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 14:18

I'm going to have to start over.. some procedures do it in-situ however the yield of formate is the issue. 30-40% (sorry didn't copy the whole cite). A more efficient method using gaseous formaldehyde and KOH. Seems like a hassle for an intermediate. Especially since the reagent is needed in 2X quantity. TCI might have it. Can't find any on ebay this week. An in-situ method offered by a member uses in situ but the eqs are confusing as the KOH is also used to liberate an amide.hcl so there's KCl to filter out and some leftover KOH to account for. pH will be watched of course. Maybe pH is the key for this hydrodehalogenation. My previously made KOH is mix of KOH (deliquescent) and K salts. Dead bugs too..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top