Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Lanthanum from pool cleaner
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 09:04

A batch of contaminated La chloride hydrate, crystallised:

Crystallising this chloride hydrate is not easy, due to its high solubility. Boiling in the solution eventually results a syrupy liquid that may or may not solidify on cooling, depending on how much water you evaporated off. Yesterday one such syrupy liquid was poured into a silicone baking mould and I watched it slowly crystallise:

You should be able to see the areas from which crystal growth emanated.

pH selective precipitation of Pr?

Due to the lanthanide contraction, higher REEs have slightly smaller atomic and ionic radii than the lower ones. For La<sup>3+</sup> the ionic radius is 103 pm, for Pr<sup>3+</sup> it’s 99 pm (both Wiki).

As smaller ions (all other things being equal) emit a stronger central electrical field, the deprotonation reaction:

Ln[(H<sub>2</sub>O)<sub>6</sub>]<sup>3+</sup> + OH<sup>-</sup> === > Ln[(H<sub>2</sub>O)<sub>5</sub>(OH)]<sup>2+</sup> + H<sub>2</sub>O

… as well the two subsequent deprotonation steps, can be expected to take place at slightly lower pH for the higher REEs. In plain English, the higher lanthanide hexaqua cations are slightly more acidic.

I prepared a 75 ml solution that was about 0.5 M in La (contaminated) and 3 M in NH<sub>4</sub>Cl, the latter with the aim of buffering the solution somewhat. 1:1 NH3 33%:water was then added from a burette while magnetic stirring and measuring the pH with a calibrated pH meter. Setup:

Starting pH was 2.3 but after just adding 1 ml of NH3 solution it had already gone up to 7.5 and the first permanent precipitate had formed. A few more drops of NH3 took the pH to 7.6 and I stopped adding NH3.

The first precipitate (call it A) was then Buchnered off and the ‘titration’ continued on the filtrate. At about 4 ml NH3 added the pH was 8.5 and no more precipitate appeared to form. This precipitate (call it B) was also Buchnered off.

Precipitate A was the dissolved in a minimum quantity of strong HCl, a few drops only. I expected to see green there but that didn’t happen [edit: the solutions of A and B turned out indistinguishable]. Had A been enriched in Pr with respect to B, a much stronger green would have been observed.

Precipitate B was dissolved somewhat more strong HCl and dissolved to a familiar very light greenish solution.

Conclusion: no separation, however partial, appeared to have been achieved.

[Edited on 26-10-2014 by blogfast25]

Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 17:16

Why do you think that no separation has been achieved? It seems to me that getting two different coloured solutions means that at least some separation occured
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2014 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
Why do you think that no separation has been achieved? It seems to me that getting two different coloured solutions means that at least some separation occured

Because the solution prepared from precipitate B contained all the La AND also Pr (green) and the solution from A was the same colour. Had the solution from B been colourless and the solution from A green (Pr(III)) then separation had occurred. Alas, no.

I may not have made that abundantly clear in the post which has been lightly edited to that effect.

[Edited on 26-10-2014 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top