Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tin (II) Chloride
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 10:11

I have a pot of that stuff (SnCl2.2H2O - bought): it isn't very sensitive or deliquescent. Evaporation gets rid of any HCl.

In my experience the freshly hydrolysed stuff dissolves well in strong HCl: just don't keep heating it any further...
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 11:35

Anyone know solubility of Tin(II) chloride in cold acetone or ethanol.
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 12:17

Wiki states that it is soluble in acetone and ethanol; Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry states that it is "quite soluble" in acetone and absolute ethanol.

hibernating...
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 12:33

If you go to the Internet Archives or Google Books, and search for "solubilities" and the last names of Arthur Messinger Comey & Dorothy Anna Hahn, or Atherton Seidell, you will find books of solubilities for the downloading. Quite helpful for the home experimenter, especially when having to prepare ones own reagents.
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 22:57

Thanks my dear friend Not_important(i am glad to see your post),
I think gasing Hydogen chloride in mixture of small pieces Tin metal and dry Acetone will solve our problem.Hydrogen Chloride react with Tin metal to produce Tin(II)Chloride and will dissolve quickly in acetone.In this case i dont think Tin(IV)Chloride produce and also there is no water and oxygen for hydrolyse and oxidize
also after evaporation acetone under vacuum we will have a nice crystal of Tin(II)chloride

[Edited on 7-7-2011 by Waffles SS]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by Waffles SS  
Thanks my dear friend Not_important(i am glad to see your post),
I think gasing Hydogen chloride in mixture of small pieces Tin metal and dry Acetone will solve our problem.[Edited on 7-7-2011 by Waffles SS]

Not very likely at all, actually. The oxidation of Sn to Sn (II) is carried out by H3O+. Acetone is an aprotic solvent: no H3O+ is present even with much HCl.

Reaction of Sn with HCl gas would proceed only at high temperature, if at all... Anhydrous SnCl2 can be obtained by direct union of Sn metal and Cl2 gas.
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 03:00

Sn + 2 Cl2 → SnCl4

What about this reaction?

hibernating...
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 06:22

Quote: Originally posted by LanthanumK  
Sn + 2 Cl2 → SnCl4

What about this reaction?

Only at higher temp., LaK. Also by leading Cl2 over/through molten SnCl2 (anh.) at elevated temps, IIRW...
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 07:59

Thanks blogfast(it seems you are full of chemistry.you remember @sauron for me)
I think reaction of Tin metal and chlorine occur better if we use suitable solvent and i think this reaction will be done at room temperature

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by Waffles SS]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 12:07

Thanks blogfast(it seems you are full of chemistry.you remember @sauron for me)
I think reaction of Tin metal and chlorine occur better if we use suitable solvent and i think this reaction will be done at room temperature

[Edited on 8-7-2011 by Waffles SS]

Yes but it has to be a protonable solvent and that really is water... water and... water! (there are others but very unlikely to be suitable)

Making some anh. SnCl2 from tin and chlorine gas is something one fine day I'll do.
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 21:47

It seems wiki wrote wrong information:

"Anhydrous SnCl2 is prepared by the action of dry hydrogen chloride gas on tin metal"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin%28II%29_chloride
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 05:05

It seems wiki wrote wrong information:

"Anhydrous SnCl2 is prepared by the action of dry hydrogen chloride gas on tin metal"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin%28II%29_chloride

I'm not sure they're wrong but I feel that chlorine gas would work better...
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 08:45

Tin and Chlorine gas make SnCl4 (Stannic Chloride).There are threads about this.

Tin and Aqua Reiga make SnCl4:5H20 (I believe).
HCl acid + Hydrogen Peroxide will not make SnCl4 but some sort of hydrated Oxide.

You can make SnCl2 using Tin metal and HCl (35% HCl acid).

Some info here may be useful

http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/makesncl4.html

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by dann2]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 12:47

dann2, Interesting point in the *.pdf about using KClO3 as an oxidiser (Sn (II) === > Sn (IV)), instead of HNO3, I hadn't thought of that. It's a simple route to K2SnCl6, for those who want it...
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 7-1-2013 at 12:33

Figured I'd post my experimental results here even though this is straightforward.

Experimental:
1.10g of Sn metal(99.96% pure) "shot" was loaded into a 50mL RBF. 20mL of conc. HCl was added. A vigreux condenser was placed ontop with a gas in-let adapter. The joints were greased to ensure an air-tight fit. Tubing was lead from the gas-inlet to an inverted funnel that is suspended in ice bath chilled beaker with tap-water inside. The heating mantle was turned on and reflux began.

5 minutes into reflux gas evolution is apparent and the inverted funnel bubbles lightly.

55 minutes later the reaction is still going and the inverted funnel water was tested with a pH strip to be pH 1. No leaks are apparent in the set-up tested with moist pH strips. Reflux is maintained to approximately half of the vigreux height with condensation slightly above this line.

40 minutes later, reaction still going, no leaks. Tin metal still visible.

3 hours later no tin metal remains. Flakes of suspected tin oxide are still apparent. Appears to be a nearly quantitative transformation. Heat is turned off and the solution will be used as is for later transformations.

rtrombetta
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 02:58
Making Tin (II) Chloride

Hi!
I know this is an old post, but I have some doubts about making Tin (II) Chloride and certainly one of you can help me with it.

I followed all the instructions found on the book Inorganic Chemical Preparations with a different proportion (100g of tin/ 150ml HCl).

I tried in two different ways. All of them used a hotplate to heat the baloon.

In the first, I mixed all into a volumetric baloon with a vigreaux column attached at the top and a hose at the top of the column directing the gas into a flask with NaOH solution. I don´t know why, but this method didn´t work. The Tin does not get dissolved by the HCl. The solution was heated for more than 48hours and nothing happened. I´m using a 99% Tin and 36% analytical grade HCl.

I then removed the vigreaux and in a few hours i got all the Tin dissolved following the instructions on the book. I then evaporated into a s.g. 1.985 and the solution was rested for a few hours but nothing happened. I put it into the refrigerator and got nice crystals. I then drain it using a funnel with a glass and put into a desiccator using calcium chloride as desiccant.

Today is 3rd day that the crystals are in the desiccator and apparently it gets more humidity than before. My question is... can I dry these crystals that holds a few portion of HCl in a desiccator or there is another way to do that ? I never worked with a desiccator, so I don´t know how much time it will let to get dryed.

I´m sorry about any mistake writing in english... my primary language is other.

Thank You!

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by rtrombetta]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 05:25

Quote: Originally posted by rtrombetta  
I followed all the instructions [...] with a different proportion (200g of tin/ 150ml HCl).
[...]
I then drain it using a funnel with a glass and put into a desiccator using calcium chloride as desiccant.
Pardon me if I doubt that you've followed all the instructions, given that you immediately state that you're not using the ratio of reagents recommended. The g/ml ratio in the reference is 2:3 and you're using 4:3. No wonder you had trouble dissolving all the tin, and why subsequent results differ. In addition, the desiccant recommended is sulfuric acid, not calcium chloride. I can't tell from your description to other ways that your actual procedure deviated from the instructions. I'd have to guess you didn't bother with the step to "feather" the tin (quotes in original), which increases its surface area and helps the reaction proceed faster. ("Feathering" is melting it and dropping from a moderate height, ~ 1 m, into a bucket filled with water, which you can see by chasing the note in the reference, where it point to this procedure on cadmium(!)).
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 06:55

There should be no problem dissolving relatively pure tin in an excess of 36 % HCl, with reflux and on a steam bath, but it's not a fast process. It took me a few hours to dissolve a few grams of lump metal.

Obtaining the crystalline dihydrate (IIRW) is trickier though because this product is very soluble in water and has a tendency to hydrolyse. It's really a question of evaporating most (95 % or so) of the solution by gentle boiling, then removing the last bits of solvent by atmospheric evaporation or by means of vacuum.

Tin dissolves very quickly in HNO3 + HCl but that yields Sn (IV). Magnesium ribbon will reduce that back to Sn (II), which could then be separated from the Mg (II) with excess strong alkali. This will form soluble stannite, while the Mg(OH)2 precipitates. Filtering separates the two and careful acidification of the stannite filtrate precipitates Sn(OH)2 which can be redissolved in HCl to give SnCl2.

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by blogfast25]

rtrombetta
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 08:35

Sorry... I used 100g of tin, and not 200g like I mentioned before. I didn´t pay attention when I post it, so I will edit and correct the post...

And you are right, I´m not using H2SO4 but other desiccant and I really don´t know if it will work. I saw many desiccators using anhydrous calcium choride as a desiccant, so i tried it... and I "feathed" the tin before put them into the baloon.

And thanks for help... I will try to gently evaporate the portion of HCl that remains in the SnCl2 crystals.

Thanks again!

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by rtrombetta]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top