Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Turning CsNO3 to other cesium salts.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 11:38

If I had the money to buy CsNO3 I'd simply buy CsCl and circumvent all this chemical juggling, to be honest! ;)

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 11:57

Incidentally, what do biochemistry labs do with the CsCl after they use it?
I'm thinking a bit of drying down then roasting to degrade organics followed by a recrystallisation would get me CsCl almost for free.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 11:58

The problem is that I don't have money to buy CsCl, only CsNO3 from a handy Russian dealer that sells it surprisingly cheap (200g of CsNO3, 10-20 of sodium metavanadate and 1g of luminol) for 34$ including shipping. The next best thing is companies as NYliquidation on eBay, the'r prices and purity is good, but the shipping price is ridiculously high (35-55 if I remember correctly, and just for a 200g package).

Also, I find the chemical juggling quite fun (at least for the first time of each type of juggling). :)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:17

The juggling is what we're here for but if e.g. you wanted CsOH (for reduction with Mg/t-butanol) then the additional step of converting CsNO3 to CsCl is just a pain.

Watch for a U2U.

Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:15

Actually I would prefer CsOH over CsCl, because it will be easier to transform it to CsBr/CsI for other experiments (HI/HBr is quite costly). Can you give me a brief explanation of the process of converting CsNO3 to CsOH (note that I don't have access to high temperatures)?

[Edited on 10-10-2011 by Mixell]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:05

I believe CsOH is prepared the same way as most alkali hydroxides: electrolysis of a Cs salt in controlled conditions, followed by contration of the CsOH solution. Yum, yum!

For small quantities this displacement can be used: Cs2CO3(aq, s) + Ca(OH)2(sq, s) === > 2 CsOH(aq) + CaCO3(s) which exploits the great insolubility of CaCO3. KOH can be made this way. But you're still left with concentrating the most caustic of all hydroxides! :o

Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:24

What kind of electrodes and voltage will one need to perform such an electrolysis? I assume something in the direction of MMO coated titanium? Cs2CO3 would be nice too, may be even better then CsOH (less caustic).
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:37

At the moment you have the option of buying CsOH if you live in Europe. I just purchased 20 grams of this and will try the making of Cs-metal from this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CESIUM-HYDROXIDE-10g-/280748109872...

It is not really cheap, but it is quite affordable. I hope to be able to make a few grams of Cs-metal from this.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 10:27

Fantastic, woelen. How will you try and make the metal? Prometheus?

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 23:22

I'll try the same method as with making potassium, based on POK's procedure. First I'll try on a very small scale, due to the dangerous nature of Cs-metal. I'll also test wether glass can be used for this experiment. I have read lots of nasty stories about the ease at which CsOH attacks glass. I expect that it will not differ much from NaOH or KOH in this, but before I make a lot of Cs I have to be sure that no accidents happen.

Now I am waiting for the CsOH to arrive... it probably takes 1 to 2 weeks, based on previous experience with the same seller.

[Edited on 11-10-11 by woelen]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 04:20

Woelen:

If I recall well the patented method differs somewhat for caesium (starts from the Cs butoxide), so please refresh memory. Look forward to your trailblazing effort!

I can’t see CsOH being much more aggressive to glass than KOH, assuming we’re below MP.

And NOW look what you’ve made me go and do: buy some CsOH too (10 g)! Sheesh… life’s not fair… :P

[Edited on 11-10-2011 by blogfast25]

Also woelen, considering how dangerous Cs metal is, I'd be prepared well to ampoule any metal obtained. I've got some nice mini glass bulb pipettes (1, 2 ml and less too), if you're interested...:cool:

[Edited on 11-10-2011 by blogfast25]

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 09:33

Good to read that you also purchased some of the CsOH. I'm quite sure it can be used for many interesting experiments. In my first attempt I indeed think of making 1 gram or so and then a 2 ml ampoule would be nice. How do these ampoules look like?

When the CsOH arrives, then I'll first try the experiment on a test tube scale and if this gives promising (and safe) results, then I'll scale up.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2011 at 11:26

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
How do these ampoules look like?

When the CsOH arrives, then I'll first try the experiment on a test tube scale and if this gives promising (and safe) results, then I'll scale up.

I would use a small bulb pipette, 1 or 2 ml depending on scale:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.eloh.com.sg...

I've quite a few to spare, if you're interested.

Warm slightly, suck up (using pipette pear) some kerosene, then some molten metal, then some more kerosene, thereby trapping the metal between 2 layers of inert solvent, allow to cool. It should reveal the slightly golden hue of the metal. Practice with your K stockpile first!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top