Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can MnO2 catalyse decomp. of liquid KNO3?
busukxuan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 08:03
Can MnO2 catalyse decomp. of liquid KNO3?

Can MnO2 catalyse decomposition of liquid KNO3?
Is the decomposition mild or vigorous?

[Edited on 8/12/11 by busukxuan]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2011 at 08:22

Fusing MnO2 with KOH and KNO3 leads to the formation of potassium manganate (KMnO3, Mn (VI), green), not to be confused with potassium permanganate.

busukxuan
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 09:01

Nope I'm not asking for that. I'm asking if MnO2 can catalyze decomposition of molten KNO3 like it does to H2O2, and if the reaction is vigorous.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 12:41

Sounds like something to try on a very small scale - just in case . . .

busukxuan
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 22:24

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Sounds like something to try on a very small scale - just in case . . .

Surprisingly, it is what i plan to contribute to the chemistry society of my school. That might be dangerous so I'm only using a few grams of KNO3 in a test tube and add only a tiny amount of MnO2(that is like a pile of dust that takes only 0.5 cm^2 of area). But I have to make sure before I submit the experiment, so help~. I came up with that idea because I realised that our school's lab probably doesn't have 30% H2O2. I want to put a small candle above the test tube to show that it is oxygen, so the gas must be produced fast enough to make a visible effect.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 15-12-2011 at 04:19

Manganese dioxide does not catalyse the decomposition of potassium nitrate to form oxygen.
The best way to make oxygen is with thin bleach and hydrogen peroxide.
Take a large rigid plastic glass and add some bleach, partly cover with a beer mat and then add the peroxide down the side. Completely cover with the beer mat and swirl gently, a vigorous reaction occurs.
Take a small candle and fix it on a piece of wire, light the candle and then plunge it into the glass, it will burn very vigorously.
Joss sticks are good, a smouldering joss stick bursts in to flame when plunged in to a glass full of oxygen. You can tell the class about the accidents that have happened when someone has lit a cigarette in an oxygen tent.
A piece of red hot steel wool burns with a brilliant shower of sparks.
My favourite is hexamine which burns with a very tame flame in air but with a brilliant white light in pure oxygen.
The oxygen should not be inhaled as it will contain corrosive droplets from the reaction for some time.

Go To Top