Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: quite the silly question: Tellerium
chemisch
Harmless

Mood: Needing of mind expansion

[*] posted on 5-2-2013 at 23:28
quite the silly question: Tellerium

Because Tellerium is know as the most stinky element and its not that toxic how dumb would it be to ingest a small amount i have a 300 dollar milligram scale so any opinions :)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 02:38

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2005/03/03/things_i_won...

"You neglected to mention the granddaddy of them all,
one row down: tellurium. Inhalation of even trace amounts causes "tellurium breath", which is worse than garlic breath and lasts for months."

So, yeah, it's a perfectly sensible idea if you don't plan on using your dick for the next year.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 02:54

Quote: Originally posted by chemisch  
Because Tellerium is know as the most stinky element and its not that toxic how dumb would it be to ingest a small amount i have a 300 dollar milligram scale so any opinions :)

I think the scimad rank system is reversed. Those with the highest post counts should be ranked the least hazardous not vice versa as is obvious from the typical things low post count members often do (or are wanting to do).

Tellurium has no odor whatsoever. Ingestion results in various compounds being formed which do. While the LD/50 for rats is 5 gm/Kg what makes you think that your sample is so pure, and what makes you think any products of breakdown in the body are so harmless? Your question is my vote for the Darwin award. One of the incompatibilities is strong acids. IIRC soon after you eat it this is precisely what the Te encounters.

The element itself from an MSDS:

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Very hazardous in case of ingestion. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of inhalation.

The Dioxide:

Skin: May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Ingestion:
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Ingestion of tellurium and its compounds
has produced symptoms such as "garlic-like" odor of the breath and sweat, metallic taste, sleepiness, anorexia,
cyanosis, restlessness, tremor, diminished reflexes, paralysis, convulsions, liver damage, and nausea
Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
Chronic: Possible risk of harm to the unborn child. Prolonged or repeated exposure affects the nervous system.

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Very hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant).
Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. TeO2 is a possible teratogen.

Common impurities with Te are SeTe and CdTe. So, look up CdTe:

Ingestion: May cause abdominal cramps. Tellurium has produced teratogenic effects (fetal death) in experimental animals.

Inhalation: Chronic inhalation produces dyspnea, weight loss and decolonization of teeth. Damage to the lungs may be irreversible and there may be kidney, liver and blood disorders, may cause death.
Other: May increase the risk of prostate, respiratory and genitourinary cancers.

Exposure to tellurium compounds produces a garlic-like odor on the breath, caused by the formation of ethyl telluride. So going further if as you say Te is ingested and you notice as you said it is a "stinky" substance we might assume ethyl telluride has been formed in your body. So next you would study the MSDS for this "stinky" chemical:

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS

Short Term: garlic odor, metallic taste, drowsiness, death
Long Term: hair loss, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blood disorders, paralysis, brain damage

You should glean from this that to survive in chemistry you always study not only the dangers of your starting materials, but also anything which may be created in your experiments and what new hazards they pose.

Do you people even bother to study before doing stupid things like eating elements you are not familiar with? Do you even bother to look up and study MSDS sheets? To answer your question, how dumb do you think it is?

Or to quote the female spy in one of my favorite movies:

"were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?"

Last: A $300 scale sounds like a nice one. Can you send it to me before brain damage, liver and kidney failure, drowsiness, death, hair loss, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blood disorders, paralysis, damage to the lungs, and prostate, respiratory and genitourinary cancers keep you from making it to the post office?

Edit: took so long in looking all this up Lambda beat me to the first reply. Also, I forget to look up the chloride. I did not study the possibility of it's formation from the HCl in the stomach but all things possible should be considered in any experiment. Especially if said experiment in going on internally.

[Edited on 2-6-2013 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 05:40

Quote: Originally posted by chemisch  

What would be the ultimate goal of doing this though? I don't quite understand... Is it to try and do a mini study on how long it takes to not stink anymore, creating graphs and spreadsheets and having volunteers smell you and rate the stink? lol

When you don't stink anymore and if you are well enough to give it another go, then maybe give it a go with 150mg and compare the results, could be interesting ;) I wouldn't do it, but you might be on to a trailblazing study that nobody has ever been sane enough to do on purpose!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 10:32

Please do it! Be sure to not post the results. We don't care.

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 12:18

I always wanted to do this and I could, but I quickly realized what Lambda-Eyde said - I'd like to use my dick during the next year. :D

No, it wouldn't be dangerous. Traces cause the stench, and traces of tellurium aren't poisonous. It's not polonium we're talking about.
Traces of tellurium in the body can be obtained by eating a tiny speck of tellurium. For example, a cube with sides measuring 0.2 milimetres (200 micrometers) is 0.05 mg of tellurium. That should be enough.
Of course, because it's so small, one would have to put it in a solution first to be sure 0.05 mg is consumed entirely.

Some of it would be excreted in the next few hours, and some of it would get absorbed around the body where it would get combined into smelly compounds. Then it would take months to excrete basically all of it, the worst part being the excretion via sweat and breath vapor.

Long story short, if you plan to spend the next year jerking off, or your spouse doesn't mind having sex using air filtering mask and you work at home with someone bringing you food, please do try eating that speck, but then inform us of the consequences. ;)

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Endimion17]

chemisch
Harmless

Mood: Needing of mind expansion

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 01:02

oh my this was great. In response to "Irc" ofcourse its toxic the msds for all the compounds generated look quite scary and would never recommend more than 1 adventure at this. 15 gram samples for 30 bucks i found online :D

Endimion17 your post i love you.... any suggestions? measure the days and the level of stink make a graph. :O
But the real question is because its a metal and i want to ingest it but only the very minimum amount, how would i find a suitable means on measuring 50ugs i could be all hazmatted and surely get a sample of 1-2mg but thats far to much maybe taking the 1-2mg sample and touching it?

[Edited on 7-2-2013 by chemisch]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 03:42

Making a sample of 50 ug is not that difficult.

Take an easily measurable amount (e.g. 100 mg). Use finely powdered Te, which is available through eBay from UK-based sellers at 99.92% purity.

Add a drop of some wetting agent to the Te (e.g. some dishwashing soap) and add the material to 1 liter water. Shake well for several miutes, all Te will be dispersed in the water. Quickly take 20 ml of this bottle and pour this into 1 liter of water. Shake again and again take 20 ml of this bottle. Mix this 20 ml with 100 ml or so of water and you will drink 40 micrograms of Te.

Even better results are obtained by dissolving the 100 mg of Te in a small quantity of nitric acid (1 ml or so). Then add the mix to 1 liter of water. In this way you dilute the acid with a factor of 1000. Take 20 ml of this water and add to a liter of water again. This gives another dilution by a factor of 50. From this take 20 ml of solution, add to 100 ml of water, add a small amount of NaHCO3 and drink. You'll get a few tens if micrograms of nitrate (which has no effect at all in these small quantities) and your 40 micrograms of Te, now in the form of a soluble compound.

This is theory and it works. But I would never do this with my body. Indeed, 40 micrograms is not much and will not have nasty health effects, but I would not like to have the smell of the stuff for a long time. I'm not sure how much is true about these smells. It does smell, but it might well be that the stories about its smell are strongly exaggerated. I, however, do not use my body as a test engine :P

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 04:59

Make a stinkograph! I would love to see something like that!

Finally a experiment I could talk about in a bar. Be sure to measure your sample correctly like the way Woelen suggests, of course it must stay scientifically correct, so it must be reproducible if someone ever questions your results......
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 07:45

I don't endorse such an experiment ...
... but I think that there was a workable smell-surveying protocol in one of the Jack McGurk detective stories >.>
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 10:11

Of all the interesting things you could do with a chunk of Te... 'nowt queerer than folk', as they say in Yorkshire...

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Even better results are obtained by dissolving the 100 mg of Te in a small quantity of nitric acid (1 ml or so). Then add the mix to 1 liter of water. In this way you dilute the acid with a factor of 1000. Take 20 ml of this water and add to a liter of water again. This gives another dilution by a factor of 50. From this take 20 ml of solution, add to 100 ml of water, add a small amount of NaHCO3 and drink. You'll get a few tens if micrograms of nitrate (which has no effect at all in these small quantities) and your 40 micrograms of Te, now in the form of a soluble compound.
Please, after you do this, do not sell the resulting solution as a homeopathic tonic on eBay. The results would be, er, disastrous.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 13:24

Hah, watson.fawkes, I was thinking along the same lines when I read woelen's post.

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HMGIbOGu8q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[edit: fixed typo]

[Edited on 7/6/13 by bfesser]

Go To Top