Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Filtering Chemicals
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 12:04
Filtering Chemicals

I have just recently obtained some coffee filters for filtering off allot of my reacted chemicals that are full of particles and gunk. Recently, I have been filtering off a solution of sodium aluminate (and various other salts that I mentioned in another post). No matter how many times I filter it, I always seem to be left with a bunch of goopy particles floating around in the solution after letting it sit for a while. Would this have something to do with the fact that sodium aluminate is corrosive, and is slowly eating away at the filter? I don't believe that the other salts (sodium nitrate and sodium chloride for those who are curious) should really affect anything.

Similarly, I have also been filtering a solution of iron three chloride with the same filters, and after letting it sit for a while, a brighter orange liquid seems to settle at the bottom of the solution. I tried filtering it out a couple times, but it passes right through the filter just like the rest of the liquid. Although, I do not seem to notice the particles like in the sodium aluminate solution (although they may still be there and I just don't notice them, because the iron three chloride solution is very dark).

Anyway, if the gunk in the sodium aluminate solution is from the filters, what kind or brand of filter would you suggest? I use No Name basket coffee filters, so if you believe there are better kinds out there, please tell me. As for the brighter orange liquid that settles at the bottom of the of the iron three chloride solution, do you think a separatory funnel would get rid of it? All advice is greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 17-2-2013 by Chemistry_Keegan]
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 13:34

The particulate matter might be from Al(OH)3, but if it's from particulate that doesn't get caught by the filter have you tried using multiple filters in one run? You could try purchasing fine-grade filter papers. They take longer to work, will clog easily, and are quite a bit more expensive than coffee filters, but work much better at catching particulates.

As for the "orange liquid", can you take a picture? I haven't heard of anything of the sort happening.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 13:50

i bought some bedsheets awhile ago and i cant say i regret it, i actually think it might be even better at filtering than coffee filters, to avoid loss of a liquid you just wetten it slightly before use

but you could do this to avoid loss due to it dripping off from the beaker etc.
2 litre bottle: cut it in half somewhat
now you have a funnel you can put filter paper in and something to collect the liquid in
but i think to get better results in filtering try other materials / more layers

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 13:56

Coffee filters are adequate for most hobbyist needs and not fundamentall different from 'lab grade' paper filtering media. The coarser pores can be an adantage for coffee filters, in some cases.

Re. the orange liquid, are you sure this isn't an optical effect? Dark solutions on a light or white coloured surface can appear to have a lighter bottom. Does it go away when you stir things up? And does it come back again after a while?

[Edited on 17-2-2013 by blogfast25]

Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 15:17

Thank you everyone for all the great information. I transferred the solution into an opaque container since I posted this question, so I would rather not take a picture of it right now, but I will probably be moving it back into a transparent beaker soon so I can use it, and when I do I will be sure to take a picture of it. And yes, I am sure this isn't just an optical effect, because when I go to poor the solution (to filter it or whatnot) I always encounter the brighter liquid at the bottom. Immediately after pooring it into a new container, I do not notice it right away, but after a few minutes it appears again. Stirring will make it go away temporarily, but it eventually settles back.

Go To Top