Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is this a potential mercuric acetate synthesis?
Ax165Xj
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 16:37
Is this a potential mercuric acetate synthesis?

First post, thanks for your patience.
I attempted to find this answer but did not succeed, the other thread I found was regarding a synthesis starting from Hg metal.

Could Hg(SO4) be used to create Hg(Ac2) by a simple metathesis using solubility differences? The sulfate is insoluble in water but the acetate is.

Essentially, could I add an aqueous solution of Ba(Ac2) to solid Hg(SO4), producing Hg(Ac2) and BaSO4?

It seems to me a priori that this would work but I am not positive the mercuric sulfate would dissolve into solution to even participate in the reaction.

If this would not work, is there another good route from mercuric sulfate?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 16:42

Not necessarily. A better method would be to start with a soluble mercury compound and work from there - much more likely to get a reaction.
I have no experience in mercury, but I wouldn't think a reaction between a soluble barium compound and an insoluble mercury compound would react - any equilibrium would be too far to the left.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 16:44

Reference Information

MERCURY COMPOUNDS

Attachment: Mercury-Compounds.pdf (123kB)
This file has been downloaded 619 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Ax165Xj
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 17:43

Quote: Originally posted by solo  
Reference Information

MERCURY COMPOUNDS

Very informative, thank you.

Unfortunately the only mercury I have is the sulfate. I suppose the peracetic acid oxidation of the metal is a decent possibility.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 12:56

Quote: Originally posted by Ax165Xj  

Essentially, could I add an aqueous solution of Ba(Ac2) to solid Hg(SO4), producing Hg(Ac2) and BaSO4?

It seems to me a priori that this would work but I am not positive the mercuric sulfate would dissolve into solution to even participate in the reaction.

Essentially, yes. The extreme insolubility of BaSO4 will cause the also insoluble HgSO4 to convert. This is only true if the solubility product Ksp of BaSO4 is significantly smaller than that of HgSO4, which I'm 95 % certain is the case.

Analogous is the preparation of small amounts of KOH solution from slaked lime (poorly soluble) and potash because calcium carbonate is so insoluble:

Ca(OH)2(s) + K2CO3(aq) === > CaCO3(s) + 2 KOH(aq)

You'll need to simmer the Ba(OAc)2 and HgSO4 in stoichiometric amounts for some time, because this reaction will take time to achieve full conversion.

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
[...] but I wouldn't think a reaction between a soluble barium compound and an insoluble mercury compound would react - any equilibrium would be too far to the left.

Where the equilibrium is depends in this case very simply on the Ksp of both insoluble products: the one with lowest Ksp is the one that is formed in equilibrium conditions, provided there is of course a significant difference in Ksp.

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by blogfast25]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 18:11

Simmering either salt or merely adding them to water will not proceed in a desirable way, due to hydrolysis.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top