Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Which permits, licenses & regulations to go through for selling acetic acid?
Tao
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 20:18
Which permits, licenses & regulations to go through for selling acetic acid?

Hello Sciencemadness! I was curious as to which permits one must have & which regulations that have to be met to sell ['glacial'] acetic acid? (Also, I'm aware of the shipping regulations, that can easily be figured out depending on the company.) Thanks in advance!
Variscite
Hazard to Self

Mood: diffusing

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 20:14

Are you located in the United States?

Find me on Youtube at - Variscites-lab!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varisciteslab
no videos yet, be some soon.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 02:52

That will depend on where you are.
As far as I know in the UK, there are no controls at all on it's sale.
Shipping should be by an approved carrier eg DHL and a dangerous goods note is required to ship it within the EEC eg to France and that costs an additional £6.00.
Obviously you should make sure that it is in a leak proof container packed securely.
Some people put small amounts in the post but that is thoughtless and against postal regulations.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 03:57

In europe thats a bit strange as obviously for bureaucrazy two things which are are chemically 100% identical are not the same.

Example: Selling or buying 92% H3PO4 from Ebay is a deadly sin and the inquisition will hunt you down. Sending it to a private address is illegal too.
Selling and buying rustremover which consists of 92% H3PO4 and is advertised as being no mixture but one pure thing is no problem at all.

And so if in Europe I - if I would intend to sell GAA or such things, would look for another label to stick on. In times of rising repression creativity in interpreting the rules is asked for. Thats completely legal. Start looking for a product from one EU country which is pure GAA and sell this thats best. As whats legal to sell in Italy must be legal to sell in France, thats fundamental. I said Italy as there still comes the 98%H2SO4 draincleaner from. legal to send by mail too btw. On the bottle they use the ancient 56Be though. Tricky.

what a madhouse
/ORG

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by Organikum]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:25

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
And so if in Europe I - if I would intend to sell GAA or such things, would look for another label to stick on.
Distilled vinegar concentrate. Just add water!
Tao
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 06:44

Haha, thanks for the replies everyone. Apologies, I do actually live in the United States. I was told by Ebay staff that I could go ahead and sell it as long as I ship it the correct way. Although I'm unsure just how reliable that is...

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by Tao]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:54

There are some places that will just take the risk and shove a small amount in the mail.
I have bought chemicals this way and never lost a shipment.
Liquids are a bit tricky as they can leak but calcium carbide, magnesium, etc have been shipped to me this way when they probably should not have been.
If you are buying larger quantities or it has to cross an international border it becomes trickier.
However large amounts have an economy of scale so the dangerous goods note, etc is covered by the cheaper material.
I have also taken large amounts of sodium hypochlorite in the boot of my car on the ferry. All the drums were carefully checked to make sure the caps were secure and then packed into a large plastic box. The ferry security people are red hot on fuel canisters, even if empty, but do not seem to know or care about corrosives.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 03:16

I've bought 500 ml GAA from a UK eBay seller, no problems (I'm UK too). I think the courier is more important than anything else here: it's really something you don't want to ship with Royal Mail.

[Edited on 12-6-2013 by blogfast25]

Go To Top