Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: iron sulfate heptahydrate
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 22-9-2014 at 15:47

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Yellow tint? How'd you source your mineral oil - could something be coordinating to it?

I've had no problems storing ferrous sulfate in a sealed vial. Purging the vial was found to be unnecessary.
I'm starting to realize that now, as the stuff that I had sitting out dry open to the air is completely clean. I'm making a fresh batch. My mineral oil came from Walgreen's.

Also, I noticed that there seem to be some side reactions involved with making it that don't seem to be pointed out usually. This time I tried using stoichiometric amounts of each reactant, and there was a lot of iron left over, as well as the presence of quite a bit of sulfur dioxide. I think that one or both of the following equations might have been occurring in addition to the expected one:

2Fe + 3H2SO4 --> Fe2O3 + 3SO2 + 3H2O

Fe + H2SO4 --> FeO + SO2 + H2O

Please correct me if I am blatantly mistaken. ;)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 03:28

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

Unfortunately you are.

Iron reacts with sulphuric acid (at least 'dilute') to form ferrous sulphate (FeSO<sub>4</sub>;) and hydrogen.

Fe is incapable of reducing sulphate ions (oxidation number +6) to sulphur dioxide (oxidation number +4).

Once crystallised to the heptahydrate, the ferrous sulphate does tend to oxidise by air oxygen to ferric sulphate (Fe<sub>2</sub>(SO<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>3</sub>;) as well as ferric hydroxy sulphates and even ferric hydroxide, but those reactions are a rather slow process.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 09:24

zts16, just make sure the environment the crystals are in is at a low pH, preferably maintained by sulfuric acid. I've had crystals left in sulfuric acid solution for over a month, exposed to the air, and not a hint of oxidation has been detected.

[Edited on 9-23-2014 by No Tears Only Dreams Now]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
zts16, just make sure the environment the crystals are in is at a low pH, preferably maintained by sulfuric acid. I've had crystals left in sulfuric acid solution for over a month, exposed to the air, and not a hint of oxidation has been detected.

Give it time: eventually you'll see the first signs of oxidation. But it your conditions it is slow, for sure.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 15:19

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Unfortunately you are.

Iron reacts with sulphuric acid (at least 'dilute') to form ferrous sulphate (FeSO<sub>4</sub>;) and hydrogen.

Fe is incapable of reducing sulphate ions (oxidation number +6) to sulphur dioxide (oxidation number +4).

Once crystallised to the heptahydrate, the ferrous sulphate does tend to oxidise by air oxygen to ferric sulphate (Fe<sub>2</sub>(SO<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>3</sub>;) as well as ferric hydroxy sulphates and even ferric hydroxide, but those reactions are a rather slow process.
So what then is causing the smell of sulfur dioxide? It's quite strong: far more pungent than the faint fumes normally present over concentrated sulfuric acid. I kept the reaction quite cool to avoid boiling away the acid. The acid that I have is lab grade, so there shouldn't be anything else in there other than the acid, the iron, and whatever else was in the nail which shouldn't be very much.
I'm not saying this in an argumentative way, but rather because it still puzzles me.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 15:41

There are often sulfur impurities in iron, and adding acid in an oxidizing environment will release not sulfur dioxide, but hydrogen sulfide.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 18:03

I've smelled both of those gases before, and this is definitely mostly sulfur dioxide. There might be some hydrogen sulfide, but only a trace amount.

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 19:47

If you're trying to compare sulfuric acid and sulfur dioxide smells, I'm not sure you should do so. They both smell very different, and I believe that it is sulfur TRIoxide coming off of the acid, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Iron sulfide impurities are fairly easily oxidized to ferrous sulfate at higher temperatures.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 03:20

[ It's quite strong: far more pungent than the faint fumes normally present over concentrated sulfuric acid. I kept the reaction quite cool to avoid boiling away the acid. The acid that I have is lab grade, so there shouldn't be anything else in there other than the acid, the iron, and whatever else was in the nail which shouldn't be very much.
I'm not saying this in an argumentative way, but rather because it still puzzles me.

How strong is your concentrated sulphuric acid? 95? 98? Higher?

And why use conc. H2SO4 to dissolve iron, when dilute works perfectly fine?

Dissolving most metals in acid does produce strange, sulphurous smells. A nail is of course not pure iron either...

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 09:11

I didn't use concentrated sulfuric acid. I have 93%, and I diluted a stoichiometric amount of it. I'm not sure exactly what concentration I diluted it to.
After it didn't fully react, I doubled the amount of acid and the reaction proceeded, but the nail was still not fully dissolved.
I dissolved another nail in HCl, and it reacted completely and there was only a faint odor of hydrogen sulfide.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 10:46

I didn't use concentrated sulfuric acid. I have 93%, and I diluted a stoichiometric amount of it. I'm not sure exactly what concentration I diluted it to.
After it didn't fully react, I doubled the amount of acid and the reaction proceeded, but the nail was still not fully dissolved.
I dissolved another nail in HCl, and it reacted completely and there was only a faint odor of hydrogen sulfide.

As I wrote above, with diluted sulphuric acid and iron you can't get SO2: there's simply nothing there to reduce the sulphate ions to sulphurous oxide.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 11:48

Fabulous crystals! Another experiment on my to do in the future list! Interesting reading as well. I have great respect for the shear amount of knowledge floating around on here.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 14:24

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

As I wrote above, with diluted sulphuric acid and iron you can't get SO2: there's simply nothing there to reduce the sulphate ions to sulphurous oxide.
Very well then. I will just assume that the nail is too impure for me to determine what is actually happening in this reaction and leave it at that.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 14:27

Nope.

Get some totally Pure Iron and do comparative tests.

Scientifically.

Then post the results so we can All learn something new.

[Edited on 24-9-2014 by aga]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-9-2014 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Nope.

Get some totally Pure Iron and do comparative tests.

Scientifically.

Then post the results so we can All learn something new.
I plan on doing that to make sure that my sulfuric acid is good. It should be, but you never really know.
I don't currently have any pure iron unfortunately (hence my use of nails in these reactions)

Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
8-5-2018 at 07:16
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Split
8-5-2018 at 07:20
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top