Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  69    71
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
underground
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 09:43
ETN vs PETN

I did some tests with both ETN and PETN and for some reason, ETN was always more powerfull-brisant than PETN. ETN got a few % of vaseline too. The containers were exactly the same and i hand-pressed them as much as i could. I thought PETN was more powerfull but ETN just did more damage and penetrate even further. It was a small scale test like 4g, maybe ETN is more bristant than PETN but PETN may be better in bigger quantities.

[Edited on 26-12-2019 by underground]
Microtek
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 08:28

Have you checked the purity of the two? Melting point and TLC are good places to start.
underground
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 10:49

I just remembered that PETN was not recrystallized while ETN was. I just recrystallized a few gr of PETN and now it's drying. I will give it a try again.
georgef2545
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 06:29
Methylhydrazine as a ligand?

I appreciate that methylhydrazine, dimethylhydrazine etc are horrible flammable and toxic, react hypergolically with oxidisers, but I was wondering if using it as a ligand in a metal complex explosive would make a good primary explosive? For example complexing it with nickel nitrate or chlorate?

I do acknowledge that organohydrazine compounds are often very dangerous and this is probably stupid.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by georgef2545  
I appreciate that methylhydrazine, dimethylhydrazine etc are horrible flammable and toxic, react hypergolically with oxidisers, but I was wondering if using it as a ligand in a metal complex explosive would make a good primary explosive? For example complexing it with nickel nitrate or chlorate?

I do acknowledge that organohydrazine compounds are often very dangerous and this is probably stupid.

Search the forum for nickel hydrazine nitrate / perchlorate
You'll see there is quite a lot of interesting compounds in addition to NHN.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
 Pages:  1  ..  69    71

Go To Top