Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Inexpensive synthesis of Ferric Chloride
Anomalous
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 07:09

I have seen these, thank you. The steel wool approach was attractive at first, until I realized how expensive steel wool is as compared to Fe2O3. That, and there is the added expense of an oxidizer or time spent bubbling air into the FeCl2 solution.

Fe2O3 seemed like a great option to me, as there is no intermediary FeCl2 as I understand it.

I've learned that calcined Fe2O3 is nearly non-reactive in solution, however. I wonder if performing the reaction in a pressure cooker might speed things along.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 13:54

Quote: Originally posted by Anomalous  
I wonder if performing the reaction in a pressure cooker might speed things along.

It's possible but not very likely: domestic pressure cookers only increase temperature by about 20 C with respect to the standard BP of water, so not very much at all. And being made of steel (possibly also aluminium) they're very reactive to HCl and other strong acids. So unless you fancy a scalding blast of super hot 37 % HCl in your face when a microhole has finally been drilled through the pan, I wouldn't go there!

High pressure dissolution does of course work in principle and is used industrially in the refining of Bauxite (alumina mainly) by dissolving it in very strong NaOH in high pressure autoclaves. But there operating temperatures of 170 - 180 C (Wiki) are achieved, now that does speed things up a bit!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top