Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Simplest Safe Chemicals
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 16:25
Simplest Safe Chemicals

Hello fellow users of Science Madness! I am contacting all of you because I need your knowledge to help me with a project I am working on. For this project, I am compiling a list of eighty-three chemicals, or one for every significantly stable element. The chemicals can be compounds or allotropes, and must be the most stable chemical the element can form, and hence the safest to handle (in any cases I can think of, at least). If some elements have multiple safe forms, the simplest one will be chosen for the list. In other words, I am compiling a list of the simplest safe compounds, but just one for each element.

The elements I am referring to as significantly stable are everything from hydrogen to bismuth, with the exception of technetium and promethium, and the addition of thorium and uranium. My goal is to find the safest compound possible for every one of those elements, and, like I mentioned, choose the simplest one if their is more than one for a certain element. In the rare occasion that there is equally simple safe compounds, the more useful one will be chosen. The elimination process for choosing each chemical will go like this:

Safest Chemicals → Least Amount Of Elements In The Chemicals → Least Amount Of Atoms In The Chemical Formula → Most Useful Chemical

A simple example of one of these compounds would be plumbous sulfide, which is, as far as I know, the safest form of lead. I could be wrong, however, which is why I need as much help as I can get to compile this list. So, if anyone has any good ideas for this list, post them here, and we can work together to narrow all of them down until my eighty-three chemical list is complete. Once it is, I will be able to work on other parts of my project, and if all goes well, I will tell all of you what this is about. But for now, I really need to finish compiling this list. Any contributions are very much appreciated!

And one last thing, I know that some of these are probably very obvious, such as water for hydrogen and/or oxygen, but I just want to make sure that I get input from anyone out there who most likely knows much more than me.

[Edited on 23-3-2014 by Chemistry_Keegan]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 16:30

What do you have so far?
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
What do you have so far?

Nothing is really carved in stone yet because I wanted to see what all of you had to say, but some examples are water (for hydrogen and/or oxygen), boron nitride (for boron and nitrogen), plumbous sulfide (primarily for lead), graphite (for carbon), octasulfur (for sulfur) and so on. I'm sure I've thought of more, but those are the main ones I can think up right now.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 16:46

In many cases, such as arsenic, phosphorus and mercury, the safest form of the element is often the element itself (keeping in mind that "safest" is defined relatively and not objectively).

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:11

Click through, check the hazard ratings, and have fun!
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:32

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
In many cases, such as arsenic, phosphorus and mercury, the safest form of the element is often the element itself. Keep in mind that safest is defined relatively and not objectively.

I can understand phosphorus, because red phosphorus really isn't all that harmful, but I never would have guessed that for arsenic and mercury? Is there really no discovered chemical for them that is stable enough to not harmfully react with the human body? I would have though this would also have been the case for lead, but then, as I mentioned, that is not really the case. One possible solution to this that comes to my mind is coordination complexes, which often seem to form quite safe compounds, even with elements and groups that are normally dangerous. I suppose a good example of this would be potassium ferricyanide, which takes an otherwise extremely dangerous group, being cyanide, and makes it virtually harmless. I'm aware cyanide isn't an element, but you get the point.

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:39

Or NaCl, that's a great example of two dangerous elements forming a harmless compound.
Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:41

When it comes to metals the carbonates, oxides, or hydroxides are most useful depending on the alkalinity and stability of each.

Examples:
Sodium oxide is unstable, sodium hydroxide is caustic, but sodium carbonate is safe.
Copper(2+) hydroxide and carbonate are both unstable (decompose easily), copper oxide is stable
Terbium oxide and hydroxide are both unstable (absorb acidic vapors), terbium carbonate is stable
Aluminum oxide is inert, aluminum carbonate is unstable, aluminum hydroxide is stable and amphoteric

In some cases (like gold) the metal itself is the best bet. However if you needed a compound I would pick chloroauric acid.

Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:43

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Or sodium chloride, that's a great example of two dangerous elements forming a harmless compound.

Ah yes, that's one obvious one I forgot to mention above ;)

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:45

Quote: Originally posted by Chemistry_Keegan  
In many cases, such as arsenic, phosphorus and mercury, the safest form of the element is often the element itself (keeping in mind that "safest" is defined relatively and not objectively).

I can understand phosphorus, because red phosphorus really isn't all that harmful, but I never would have guessed that for arsenic and mercury? Is there really no discovered chemical for them that is stable enough to not harmfully react with the human body? I would have though this would also have been the case for lead, but then, as I mentioned, that is not really the case. One possible solution to this that comes to my mind is coordination complexes, which often seem to form quite safe compounds, even with elements and groups that are normally dangerous. I suppose a good example of this would be potassium ferricyanide, which takes an otherwise extremely dangerous group, being cyanide, and makes it virtually harmless. I'm aware cyanide isn't an element, but you get the point.

Actually, you're partially right, arsenic does have a safer form: Skutterudite, proposed formula CoAs3. Though, I'm not sure if this counts as a compound, because the formula is variable and this is closer in structure to an alloy.

Mercury compounds, on the other hand, are far more dangerous than mercury itself.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:53

As for mercury, the element itsefl is the least dangerous form. Next comes the least soluble inorganic compounds. An organic mercury compound that is relatively safe is Merbromin, known in the market as mercurochrome. It was used in the past as an antiseptic for cuts, etc. Here I can still buy it in most stores :D
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:58

Quote: Originally posted by Töilet Plünger  
When it comes to metals the carbonates, oxides, or hydroxides are most useful depending on the alkalinity and stability of each. Here are some examples:

• Sodium oxide is unstable, sodium hydroxide is caustic, but sodium carbonate is safe.
  • Cupric hydroxide and cupric carbonate are both unstable because they decompose easily, but cupric oxide is stable.
  • Terbium oxide and terbium hydroxide are both unstable because they absorb acidic vapors, but terbium carbonate is stable.
  • Aluminum oxide is inert, aluminum carbonate is unstable and aluminum hydroxide is stable and amphoteric.

In some cases, such as gold, the metal itself is the best bet. However, if you needed a compound I would pick chloroauric acid.

Thank you, that's some great info! I don't mind if the chemicals are inert, as long as they are safe. Also, I don't mind if the elements are most stable in their elemental forms, that's why I mentioned both compounds and allotropes above, even though some elements only have one allotrope.

In many cases, such as arsenic, phosphorus and mercury, the safest form of the element is often the element itself. Keep in mind that safest is defined relatively and not objectively.

Actually, you're partially right, arsenic does have a safer form. It is a mineral named skutterudite, and the proposed formula suggests it is a type of cobalt arsenide. However, I'm not sure if it counts as a compound, because the formula is variable and it is closer in structure to an alloy.

Mercury compounds, on the other hand, are far more dangerous than mercury itself.

So are you suggesting that cobalt arsenide is the best compound to choose? Because I researched skutterudite, and noticed that it can also be iron arsenide or nickel arsenide. Also, as long as the compound is safer than elemental arsenic, it's okay if it's closer to an alloy, especially considering it still has some properties of a compound.

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
As for mercury, the element itself is the least dangerous form. Next comes the least soluble inorganic compounds. An organic mercury compound that is relatively safe is merbromin, which is known in the market as mercurochrome. It was used in the past as an antiseptic for cuts and such. I can still buy it in most stores around here :D

Are you sure mercury is safer than merbromin? I did some research, and elemental mercury has a health hazard of three on a fire diamond, while merbromin only has a health hazard of two.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 19:07

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
As for mercury, the element itsefl is the least dangerous form. Next comes the least soluble inorganic compounds. An organic mercury compound that is relatively safe is Merbromin, known in the market as mercurochrome. It was used in the past as an antiseptic for cuts, etc. Here I can still buy it in most stores :D

So, are you sure mercury is safer than merbromin? I did some research, and elemental mercury has a health hazard of three on a fire diamond, while merbromin only has a health hazard of two.

Risk acessment of a substance can't simply be done by looking at the blue part of the fire diamond. Oher things must be taken into acount. For intance, the way you can be exposed to that substance. In this case, for elemental mercury you have a 3, but the only way elemental mercury can be that toxic is through inalation. Skin exposure and even ingesting it won't do much harm. Now, on Merbromin, you are exposed to it's toxicity by skin contact and ingestion. So it is safer because, even though it's less toxic in the fire diamond, it's much easier to get intoxicated by it than by elemental mercury.
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 06:57

So, after doing quite a bit more research on insoluble inorganic mercury compounds, I came across one that really caught my eye. It is mercury selenide, which is actually said to be less toxic than elemental mercury, and is only toxic when ingested, due to it's insolubility. In fact, selenium's ability to complex with mercury has been proposed as a reason for the lack of mercury toxicity in deep sea fish, despite the high mercury levels.

One of the other toxic elements I was trying to find a safe form of was cadmium, which quickly lead to me discovering cadmium telluride, which is supposed to be much less toxic than elemental cadmium.

I am starting to notice a pattern here with toxic metals. They all seem to form their safest chemicals with chalcogens. Also, their seems to be a higher chance that the chalcogen will form a safer compound with the toxic metal as you go down their group. I couldn't find much information on lead telluride and mercury telluride, but is it possible that they are even safer than lead sulfide and mercury selenide? I realize that once you get to the tellurides, some people may argue that they are closer to alloys than compounds, but if they are the safest form of those elements that is currently known, that doesn't really matter to me.

[Edited on 24-3-2014 by Chemistry_Keegan]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 08:27

This belongs in miscellaneous or something.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 08:35

If you need info on the safety the chemicals, you can look up the msds on Alfa Aesar's website www.alfa.com Just search for the chemical name in the top left, and click msds next to the desired chemical. They have got an msds for lead telluride f.y.i.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 23:28

DHMO has killed alot of people throughout the time, DHMO does not deserve to be rated safe, infact im sure to die some day aswell just for having been in DHMO

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 00:09

For mercury I would say mercury(II) sulfide. This is highly insoluble, non-volatile and only reacts with acids with difficulty. It still is toxic, though.
Of the mercury compounds, it also is one of the easier to obtain compounds (it can be purchased as 'cinnaber').

For phosphorus I would say a simple compound like Na3PO4 or Na2HPO4 is safest. Phosphate ion is non-toxic, non-oxidizing, very stable, and easy to obtain (it is a common ingredient of fertilizers). Red phosphorus is highly flammable and when it is finely powdered, it even can ignite spontaneously (e.g. through a static discharge).

For arsenic there is no really safe compound, but safest seems to me the mineral arsenopyrite (a mixed sulfide/arsenide of iron, which can be purchased as mineral on eBay in amazingly pure form and in the form of nice metallic looking crystals).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 02:26

Another exampe: BaSO4 for Ba.
BTW1: HgS very easily dissolves in Na2S5 (or other polysulfide) solutions.
BTW2: it is just plain homework, so DIY.

Слава Україні !
Героям слава !
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 03:26

Clarify your question. What are you going to do with these 'safe' chemicals? Arsenic was mentioned as safe although I don't really agree with that. For example what do you think will happen if you were to put As in acid? Your question needs to be more precise as to your plans. Also I think this is very wrong "Safest Chemicals → Least Amount Of Elements In The Chemicals → Least Amount Of Atoms In The Chemical Formula → Most Useful Chemical". One example is any CN, certain hydrides, and so on. Arsine is simple yet far from safe for example. If you plan on mixing these 'safe' chemicals without forethought and study you may be in for a bad surprise. Or are you just building a collection in sealed containers for show (not to be handled with bare hands, or allowed to get in your respiratory system)? Say Ni powder for instance, one of many chemicals not wise to handle without a respirator, yet low on the number of atoms in the 'formula' (toxic). One could think of many examples such as this. Heating can produce the oxide (toxic), in a reducing atmosphere the Carbonyl, (flammable and extremely toxic). Anyway you get the point.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 13:28

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
Another exampe: BaSO4 for Ba.
BTW1: HgS very easily dissolves in Na2S5 (or other polysulfide) solutions.
BTW2: it is just plain homework, so DIY.

When you said it's just plain homework, what did you mean? If you think this is actually homework, it isn't. This is part of a project that I thought up on my own. If you didn't mean that literally, you don't have to help if you don't want to. Sorry if I misunderstood something.

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
Clarify your question. What are you going to do with these 'safe' chemicals? Arsenic was mentioned as safe although I don't really agree with that. For example what do you think will happen if you were to put As in acid? Your question needs to be more precise as to your plans. Also I think this is very wrong "Safest Chemicals → Least Amount Of Elements In The Chemicals → Least Amount Of Atoms In The Chemical Formula → Most Useful Chemical". One example is any CN, certain hydrides, and so on. Arsine is simple yet far from safe for example. If you plan on mixing these 'safe' chemicals without forethought and study you may be in for a bad surprise. Or are you just building a collection in sealed containers for show (not to be handled with bare hands, or allowed to get in your respiratory system)? Say Ni powder for instance, one of many chemicals not wise to handle without a respirator, yet low on the number of atoms in the 'formula' (toxic). One could think of many examples such as this. Heating can produce the oxide (toxic), in a reducing atmosphere the Carbonyl, (flammable and extremely toxic). Anyway you get the point.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. The whole thing with the arrows was to narrow things down for elements that have many safe forms, such as carbon. I didn't mean that the simpler a chemical is, the safer it is. Nor did I mean that every element has a form that is absolutely safe. My goal here is to find the safest chemical form of each element. But, as Element Collector mentioned, when I say safest, I mean relatively and not objectively.

I refrained from posting my full idea here because I haven't completely thought it through yet, and this is just one of the steps I need to complete in order to do so. Also, since my idea isn't fully developed yet, I was a little afraid that I would be ridiculed, especially considering the fact that most of you know way more than me ;) Anyway, my general idea is to create plans for a facility that would process dangerous substances, or substances that are difficult to reuse, into the eighty-three compounds on this list, or, as I mentioned, one for each significantly stable element. These compounds would then proceed to be shipped to places that can make the most use out of them. This means that they should be safe enough to be handled without too much of an excess of safety measures, and also to be easily and safely transported.

I'm sure that some of this sounds ridiculous or unrealistic to some of you, but even if this is impossible, I still find it fun to think up all these ideas. Please don't let my full idea affect what I originally asked for. For example, I'm aware that some chemicals are probably so hard to synthesize to the point that it isn't even worth manufacturing them, but please just stick with what I originally asked for for the time being.

[Edited on 24-3-2014 by Chemistry_Keegan]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 13:59

I doubt many would belittle you for it but each situation is specific. By this I mean chemical engineers design a process doing all calculations. One needs to know the exact starting chemical and conditions, the desired end product, then formulate plans with safety in mind also considering all possible side reactions and so on. I guess my point was you cannot be so generic in your questions and have hope of meaningful help. I would not worry about what others may think or say, just ask the questions, but a little less vague in format.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I doubt many would belittle you for it but each situation is specific. By this I mean chemical engineers design a process doing all calculations. One needs to know the exact starting chemical and conditions, the desired end product, then formulate plans with safety in mind also considering all possible side reactions and so on. I guess my point was you cannot be so generic in your questions and have hope of meaningful help. I would not worry about what others may think or say, just ask the questions, but a little less vague in format.

Yeah, I should have known that a lot of you wouldn't want to just throw around chemical names without knowing what scenario they are going to be used in and what specific conditions they have to meet. I guess I didn't want to let the project as a whole influence what people would answer. However, in trying to do that I just asked a question that was too vague. I'l try to be more specific next time if I come up with more ideas :)
Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-3-2014 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
If you need info on the safety of chemicals, you can look it up on Alfa Aesar's website.

Thank you, this website was very useful! It is definitely the largest database I have seen so far.

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
For mercury I would say mercuric sulfide. It is highly insoluble, non-volatile and only reacts with acids with difficulty. It still is toxic, though. Of the mercury compounds, it is also one of the easier ones to obtain.

For phosphorus, I would say a simple compound like one of the sodium phosphates is safest. The phosphate ion is non-toxic, non-oxidizing, very stable, and easy to obtain. Red phosphorus is highly flammable and when it is finely powdered, it even can ignite spontaneously.

For arsenic there is no really safe compound, but the safest seems to be the mineral arsenopyrite.

Thank you, this is also great information! I was wondering about phosphates, because some of them didn't seem very harmful at all. I'm glad to get confirmation on chemicals like that, which I weren't completely sure about. It also seems that mercuric selenide isn't as harmless as I thought it was, so I'l stick with your suggestion of mercuric sulphide. I just have one question about arsenopyrite. I read that it will slowly oxidize in the presence of air, which can lead to the production of chemicals that are significantly more toxic than the mineral itself. Do you know if this happens drastically enough for it to be of any concern?

Anyway, my list is going along well, and I would like to show all of you what it looks like so far. I will list the element names followed by the formula of its safest chemical form.

Hydrogen - H2O
Helium - He
Lithium - LiI
Beryllium - Be3Al2Si6O18
Boron - BN
Carbon - C
Nitrogen - N2
Oxygen - O2
Fluorine - SrF2
Neon - Ne
Sodium - NaCl
Magnesium - MgO
Aluminium - Al2O3
Silicon - SiO2
Phosphorus - NaH2PO4
Sulphur - S8
Chlorine - NaCl
Argon - Ar
Potassium - KBr
Calcium - CaCO3
Copper - CuCO3
Arsenic - FeAsS
Bromine - KBr
Krypton - Kr
Rubidium - RbI
Strontium - SrF2
Cadmium - CdTe
Iodine - RbI
Xenon - Xe
Barium - BaSO4
Gold - Au
Mercury - HgS
Lead - PbS

As you can see, despite the fact that I have many chemicals on the list, it still isn't very close to being finished. I have, however, managed to get some of the most consistently toxic elements out of the way. Once again, any suggestions are really appreciated, whether it be ones for other elements, or replacements for what I already have.

[Edited on 28-3-2014 by Chemistry_Keegan]
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 17:09
Here is my list

If I were you I would get these:
1 - H - Water
2 - He - Helium
3 - Li - Lithium Chloride
4 - Be - Emerald
5 - B - Boric acid
6 - C - Graphite, sugar, etc.
7 - N - Air
8 - O - Air
9 - F - All fluorides are dangerous, I recommend NaF out of simplicity
10 - Ne - Neon
11 - Na - Table salt
12 - Mg - Magnesium Citrate
13 - Al - Aluminum foil
14 - Si - Silicon
15 - P - Sodium phosphate, mono- or di- basic, tribasic is easy to find but quite...erm... basic!
16 - S - Sulfur
17 - Cl - Sodium Chloride
18 - Ar - Argon
19 - K - Potassium Chloride
20 - Ca - Calcium Sulphate
23 - V - Vanadite
24 - Cr - Chromium itself- chromates are carcinogenic
25 - Mn - Manganese dioxide (messy though!)
26 - Fe - Iron
27 - Co - Cobalt chloride (although it is a bit corrosive, it is easy to find and easy to handle)
28 - Ni - Canadian coins are relatively pure nickel
29 - Cu - Copper metal
30 - Zn - Zinc sulfate
31 - Ga - Gallium
35 - Br - Sodium Bromide
36 - Kr - Krypton
37 - Rb - Rubidium Chloride
38 - Sr - Strontium Carbonate
42 - Mo - Any molybdate
43 - Tc - Ha, yeah right
47 - Ag - Silver
48 - Cd - Cadmium Sulfide, because it is insoluble
50 - Sn - Tin
53 - I - Potassium Iodide
54 - Xe - Xenon
55 - Cs - Cesium Chloride
56 - Ba - Barium Sulfate, insoluble
60 - Nd - Neodymium magnets
74 - W - Tungsten light bulb filament
78 - Pt - Platinum
79 - Au - Gold
80 - Hg - Mercury (lol, in my opinion, mercury itself is the safest)
82 - Pb - Lead
83 - Bi - Bismuth

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top