Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: H2SO4, NaOH, and S - Unknown Product
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 12:11
H2SO4, NaOH, and S - Unknown Product

Recently, I decided to prepare some very, very crude (actually, the amount that was prepared was probably undetectable) sodium sulfide by letting elemental sulfur react with concentrated aqueous sodium hydroxide. The mixture was left for several days to complete whatever reaction may take place. After this time, the sulfur settled to the bottom, and the water had taken a slight red-orange tint. A drop of this mixture was placed on a watch glass, and a drop of Rooto sulfuric acid (~16-18 molar) was added. The reaction took place instantly, creating a quick "psst" sound, and turning the residue white. The room smelled of hydrogen sulfide.

Later, some of the sulfur and NaOH was dripped into several milliliters of tap water, and then several drops of Rooto sulfuric acid were added. An off-white precipitate formed, and the test tube became warm.\

I believe that the precipitate was elemental sulfur, produced according to the reaction:

Na2S + 3 H2SO4 -> 2 NaHSO4 + SO2 + S + 2 H2O

Can anyone confirm this? Any advice is appreciated.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Galinstan
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 12:18

without any further evidence it would seem a reasnable first guess as the oxidation states of the sulphur all make sense. but i think u can also get polysulphides from sulphur and NaOH so the reaction is probably more varied and complicated than portrayed above.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 20:12

Your precipitate was sulfur, but I dont think your reaction was correct, since the reaction of elemental sulfur with NaOH produces sodium thiosulphate. I posted a thread on this somewhere, but I cant seem to find it. In the thread I established that I produced sodium thiosulphate, so that's probably what happened here.

Edit: Galinstan is correct, the reaction does produce sulfur polymers which in my case remained in solution, so the reaction mixture was a deep red slightly viscous fluid

[Edited on 7-4-2014 by Oscilllator]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 04:31

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
Your precipitate was sulfur, but I dont think your reaction was correct, since the reaction of elemental sulfur with NaOH produces sodium thiosulphate.
[Edited on 7-4-2014 by Oscilllator]

Not sure why that would be relevant.

The OP is right about one thing: if sulphide (or polysulphides) is oxidised to sulphur then something else has to be reduced. He's assumed that that something was sulphate to sulphurous oxide. But the other species that can be reduced in that mix quite easily is H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup>, to hydrogen and water. Much more easily reduced than sulphate, in fact...

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 05:10

All of this can be explained quite well.

Sulphur reacts with NaOH in a disproportionation reaction to sulfide and thiosulfate, vaguely similar to the disproportionation of chlorine to chloride and hypochlorite:

4 S + 6 OH(-) --> 2 S(2-) + S2O3(2-) + 3 H2O

If excess sulphur is used, then this sulphur reacts with sulfide ion to get yellow/orange polysulfides.

When acid is added, then the reverse reaction occurs. H2S2O3 and H2S are formed. H2S2O3 quickly decomposes to H2SO3 and elemental S. H2SO3 in turn reacts to H2O and SO2, but also reacts with H2S very quickly to form H2O and S. A nice experiment is to dissolve some Na2S in acid. You get a clear solution of H2S in water. If you add a solution of SO2 in water to this (which can be made from sulfite, dissolved in dilute acid), then you get elemental sulphur quite quickly.

[Edited on 7-4-14 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top