Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to store Magnesium turnings
Pyro
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 12:43
How to store Magnesium turnings

Hi,

I got 1kg of Mg turnings for Grignards, it came in a bag.
Before I open it I would like to know how I can best keep it without it oxidising because the volume is very big (30x50x10 cm bag)

ideas?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 13:55

Perhaps a desiccator with a vacuum? There always oil, but there's no way to easily use it after that... If you have ampules, that might be a thought.

[Edited on 5-28-2014 by numos]

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 14:03

You can flush a storage bottle (air tight, those used to store hygroscopic reagents) with Argon. Store the turnings in there. Every time you open it, a little bit of air may go in, so after a while you should flush the bottle again with argon. Not too much air will get in in each use because argon is denser than air. This may be a awkward way of storing it but it's better than having to go all the trouble storing it in a dessicator or using parafin.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 14:24

My main problem is the enormous volume, it's more than 5l

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 28-5-2014 at 14:56

This isn't really much of an issue. Put it into glass bottles with non-permeable caps, just like the chemical companies do.

When the (already oxide coated, whether you see it or not) metal is used, a few iodine crystals will activate the surface.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 07:45

If you're not going to open and close the container, there are commercial Oxygen absorbers. If you have any of the little chemical hand warmer packages made with Iron powder, charcoal & salt on hand- Same thing. Be warned: the bag will be similar in condition to a vacuum packed bag, it must be strong enough to resist punctures from sharp points of the contents. DO NOT use the absorbers in a glass bottle, it may implode.

If you're going to open & close frequently, Argon gas flush & fill as recommended above.

I have indeed seen Mg filings and ESPECIALLY Mg powder so oxidized in storage as to be useless.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 29-5-2014 at 17:45

This is a picture of magnesium turnings I've stored for 16 years in a HDPE Nalgene bottle under air. The bottle has been opened dozens of times. They are bright silver. This is high purity metal, purchased as a reagent for Gignard preps. You could reasonably expect similar results.

Mg.jpg - 118kB

[Edited on 30-5-2014 by Dan Vizine]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2014 at 10:11

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
This is a picture of magnesium turnings I've stored for 16 years in a HDPE Nalgene bottle under air. The bottle has been opened dozens of times. They are bright silver. This is high purity metal, purchased as a reagent for Gignard preps. You could reasonably expect similar results.

[Edited on 30-5-2014 by Dan Vizine]

I'm much inclined to agree. I sell high quality, high mesh Mg powder. It's stored under air. I don't see it change at all. I don't use it for Grignards though...

Go To Top