Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any lead sulfate reactions?
acetone
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 03:28
Any lead sulfate reactions?

Hi,

I'm looking for some reactions involving lead sulfate PbSo4 as one of the reactants. I want to recover lead from its sulfate. Internet is not being helpful with this one. Lead sulfate was salvaged from malfunctioned Sealed Lead acid batteries. Can you help?

The measure of a man is what he does with power.
-Plato
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 04:01

Be aware that the battery Lead probably has some Antimony, Strontium and Arsenic additives-

There have been a couple of threads quite recently in beginnings/reagent acquisition about this subject, try using Google to search instead of the site search function?

Searching this string:

sciencemadness.org battery lead sulfate reactions

Gives me this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sciencemadness.org+battery+l...

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

acetone
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 05:35

I searched the site but there is no info on how to extract Pb from PbSo4. Perhaps I should try reacting it with NaOH?

-Plato
acetone
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 08:09

I wonder whether trying to displace lead from a water soluble lead salt(like lead nitrate) would work? Perhaps reacting lead nitrate with iron fillings?

-Plato
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 08:31

Tin is right above lead in the reactivity series, Tin + Lead sulphate perhaps? Or, maybe try adding more H+ ions via another acid such as HCl + Lead sulphate forcing the sulphate and Hydrogen bond?
PbSO4 + 2HCl = Pb + H2SO4 + 2Cl

No doubt I might be corrected, welcomed, but this is my best working to the solution if it was me.

It's funny I actually want to make lead sulphate (have tons of lead ingots that I melted) lead crystals are very beautiful.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 08:48

As near as I can tell, you have two options.

Aluminothermic reduction of PbSO4 to PbS, which on treatment with something like HNO3 would give Lead nitrate solution.

Now, PbSO4 is highly insoluble, but solubility is always relative. Lead sulfate has a Ksp of 2.53×10^(-8) but PbCO3 is 7.40×10^(-14). This means that Lead (II) sulfate is 342,000 times more soluble than the carbonate. Prolonged boiling of the sulfate with sodium carbonate solution would convert (eventually) all of it to the carbonate. Filter off and react to a soluble lead salt.

A fully charged lead acid battery has plates of lead metal and PbO2, which would be much easier to deal with...

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 12:25

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
As near as I can tell, you have two options.

Aluminothermic reduction of PbSO4 to PbS, which on treatment with something like HNO3 would give Lead nitrate solution.

Highly exothermic as such a reaction would be, its a recipe for blowing Pb compounds into your environment. DON'T DO IT!

Conversion to lead carbonate (or a basic lead carbonate) is much simpler and safer. Then convert to nitrate or acetate.

Lead will be displaced from its solutions by electropositive metals: Zn, Al, Mg, Fe etc.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by blogfast25]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Lead will be displaced from its solutions by electropositive metals: Zn, Al, Mg, Fe etc.

It you want to get it into solution, the merck Index says that it's soluble in sodium hydroxide solution, ammonium acetate solution, ammonium tartrate solution, or concentrated hydroiodic acid. If you dissolve it in NaOH, you should be able to displace it fairly easily with aluminum or zinc.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
[It you want to get it into solution, the merck Index says that it's soluble in sodium hydroxide solution, ammonium acetate solution, ammonium tartrate solution, or concentrated hydroiodic acid. If you dissolve it in NaOH, you should be able to displace it fairly easily with aluminum or zinc.

Lead is amphoteric both as plumbous (II) or plumbic (IV), so treating PbSO4 with NaOH should get you sodium plumbite, Na2Pb(OH)4. That should be reducible with Al or Zn. Neutralisation of sodium plumbite with HNO3 or glacial acetic acid should yield lead (II) nitrate ot acetate respectively.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by blogfast25]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 12:41

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Lead is amphoteric both as plumbous (II) or plumbic (IV), so treating PbSO4 with NaOH should get you sodium plumbite, Na2Pb(OH)4. That should be reducible with Al or Zn. Neutralisation of sodium plumbite with HNO3 or glacial acetic acid should yield lead (II) nitrate ot acetate respectively.

If you dissolve lead(II) sulphate in sodium hydroxide, and then neutralize with acid, there will still be sulphate ions present, and your lead(II) sulphate will simply reprecipitate.

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 13:00

Oooops. Haste makes waste.

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 13:30

How about using sodium aluminate to neutralize it. I don't believe that the solution would be basic enough to redissolve and lead hydroxide.
Although that may just yield other things that I didn't anticipate such as Al(OH)3.
[Edited on 5-6-2014 by bismuthate]

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
How about using sodium aluminate to neutralize it. I don't believe that the solution would be basic enough to redissolve and lead hydroxide.
Although that may just yield other things that I didn't anticipate such as Al(OH)3.

You want to neutralize the sodium plumbite by adding a weak base?

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 13:52

No the PbSO4.
EDIT Also I believe that blogfast's idea would work in the presence of Ba+2.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 14:20

"
Now, PbSO4 is highly insoluble, but solubility is always relative. Lead sulfate has a Ksp of 2.53×10^(-8) but PbCO3 is 7.40×10^(-14). This means that Lead (II) sulfate is 342,000 times more soluble than the carbonate. Prolonged boiling of the sulfate with sodium carbonate solution would convert (eventually) all of it to the carbonate. Filter off and react to a soluble lead salt. "

How long would you need to boil. Days perhaps?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  
"
Now, PbSO4 is highly insoluble, but solubility is always relative. Lead sulfate has a Ksp of 2.53×10^(-8) but PbCO3 is 7.40×10^(-14). This means that Lead (II) sulfate is 342,000 times more soluble than the carbonate. Prolonged boiling of the sulfate with sodium carbonate solution would convert (eventually) all of it to the carbonate. Filter off and react to a soluble lead salt. "

How long would you need to boil. Days perhaps?

Who knows? The rate at which the stuffs dissolves will depend on the size of the lead sulphate particles, how dry they were to begin with, etc. it might be faster to dissolve it in sodium hydroxide, then neutralize the base with sodium bicarbonate.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by DraconicAcid]

acetone
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 21:21

What is likely to be present in a sealed lead acid battery which has been lying discharged for a long time - PbSO4 or PbO2? I salvaged whatever lead I could find from the heap by heating and pouring down the metal. Now I have some black greyish stuff which if heated strongly becomes orange. I suppose thats PbO2?

lead.jpg - 86kBlead 1.jpg - 71kB

-Plato
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 03:38

The discharge reaction for a lead/acid battery is:

Pb(s) + PbO2(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) → 2PbSO4(s) + 2H2O(l)

jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 05:09

Leas salts thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5490
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 06:21

electrowinning with sulfamic acid would do well to recover your lead. there is a fair amount of papers on it, but here is one. "Method of extracting metals from spent electric storage batteries": http://www.google.com/patents/US3985630 sulfamic acid can be found as a tile de-hazing etchant, alternative to the volatile HCl. a little tub is like 6$ at the hardware store if they carry it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-TileLab-...
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 11:45

Lead carbonate from lead sulfate:

Attachment: US2152242 Basic Lead Carbonate from Lead Sulfate (1).pdf (274kB)
This file has been downloaded 322 times

Go To Top