Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 24/40 x 200mm Leibig on eBay - Unbelievable Deal $10 + Free Shipping
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 11:48

Quite true.
I was born in Sheffield, England, birthplace of Stainess Steel.
One company, Viners, wanted to gain a competative advantage, and outsourced production to China.
They even re-named a city in China as 'Sheffield' so they could stamp 'Made in Sheffield' on it.
Pretty soon the Chinese had all they needed and started selling direct.

Today : no more Viners, no more stainless production in the original Sheffield (well, very very little).

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 11:53

I think I'm going with aga in this one. China simply doesn't regulate anything about their industry (minimum payment, CO2 emisions, child labor, forced labor, waste control). To produce a glove (silly example hehe) a China takes plastic and modules it into a glove. The US first hires enviromental control agents, factory security oficers, waste regulators, health insurence for the workers, minium salary for the workers and the list goes on. That's why an item made by the US needs to be much more expensive than an item made in China.

But the more important question: is moraly right what China is doing?
Or, perhaps even more important, is the more important question, the morality of China's acts?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 13:00

Since this has drifted quite a bit, I will say a few things. China does not have the internal economy of the US or Europe. Whether or not they develop this , and without their own government forcing it, is to be seen. weather or not it such can be sustained long term is even more uncertain. Chinese banking has, for some time, been suspect and often is of two or more minds. Add in a long traditional of hierarchies, bloated bureaucracies and general distrust( both domestic and foreign) and we have a nation who could very easily go to war with itself. Now I have bought and used a fair amount of Chinese labware and not all of it is bad. My hopes are in the west, though. Not in its current management perhaps but in Western civilization as a whole. The trick is to preserve and promote it so new growth is viable.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 09:56

Any update or comment on the quality of the glassware?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top