Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: platinum removal from catalyst using forge
donthaveaclue
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 15:41
platinum removal from catalyst using forge

would like to try to remove platinum and rhodium from old catalytic converters, problem arising don't want to use acids for separation. knowledge of procedure is adding a base metal with ground honeycomb material, what would be a good bond metal within heat range of platinum?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 16:38

lead
donthaveaclue
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 18:03

thank you very much, that was the shove I needed. have everything except small children to stir the chauldron with.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 18:17

Then, you can extract the lead from the collected metal with nitric acid to leave a crude platinum sponge. You're going to need acid at some point, sorry.

[Edited on 25-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 04:53

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  
Then, you can extract the lead from the collected metal with nitric acid to leave a crude platinum sponge. You're going to need acid at some point, sorry.

[Edited on 25-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]

And you're going to need a LOT MORE acid via this route too!

If you want to extract PGMs without acid it's like 'if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!', frankly.

CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 09:19

Asocial survival could use this method for getting platinum for his "becoming rich overnight..." video ,makes much more sense than using nuclear fission to get gold or whatever:D

[Edited on 25-10-2014 by CuReUS]
donthaveaclue
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-10-2014 at 20:00

in the place of nitric acid would it be possible to use caustic soda for purification after a roast? what could be a substitute for nitric acid, short of stealing the pharmacy/drugstore supply. perhaps hydrogen perioxide?
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 11:26

No. NaOH won't work, nor will H2O2. You NEED nitric acid at some point. And, really, since you need that anyway, just get the HCl and do it the easy way.

Any reason you can't just buy it on eBay? That's my standard answer because you can find anything that can be had there. I can't tell where you are because you don't list your location, so I don't know what import rules apply to you.

I think there are also sellers that sell prepackaged kits to make aqua regia.

[Edited on 27-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]
donthaveaclue
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 19:07

think ive finally come up with a viable solution to the woes that plaque the simple minded. sometimes overthinking or having answers readily available by others causes enough doubt to look beyond the regular and try something new. 1st test trial tomorrow using a multitude of different amounts within the same chemical group. What is best, thicker glass or plastic? like the grocerer always asks, paper or plastic.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 19:56

By all means, look beyond the regular. Best of luck.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 06:08

You pulverize the honeycomb, then send it to me. I will use the acids to recover the rhodium and platinum, then ship the metals back to you.

I'll pay you to "legally" "find" catalytic converters and process them to unrecognizable dust, and you pay me to do the chemistry. We'll split it 50/50.

As a Detroit resident and a victim of converter theft myself, I find it comforting that scrapyards no longer accept them unless they are attached to a car.

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

As a Detroit resident and a victim of converter theft myself, I find it comforting that scrapyards no longer accept them unless they are attached to a car.

Doesn't matter, unfortunately. Believe it or not, they are sold all over eBay.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 09:08

I tried recovering material from a converter once, but the one I had turned out to have a metal honeycomb instead of ceramic. When I realized the gallons of acid I'd need, that put a stop to that project. I still have the converter (given to me by a friend when he replaced one on his car), so if there's a process for steel honeycomb I'd be interested.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 09:21

HCl should dissolve both carbon and stainless steels. I can get a gallon of 32% HCl at Home Depot for $6. I'd try that, then filter out the sludge that remains (which would have the precious metals) and use the standard aqua regia method to recover the metals from the sludge.

It may involve gallons of acid, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Throw it in a bucket of HCl in the backyard for a week and see what happens.

Speculation of course; perform at your own risk. But if you do, let us know what happens!

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 09:27

Yeah I suppose that's true. My initial experiment involved a small cutting of the honeycomb in HCl, in an attempt to dissolve any base metals first before proceeding to nitric alone, then aqua regia to get the values. The HCl step bubbled furiously and the solution became deep green, so it will certainly dissolve the substrate but as you said may take some time and lots of acid. It's worth a revisit, I suppose.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 10:25

What is the expected metal recovery from an "average" converter?

donthaveaclue
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 21:07

mr home scientist, the procedure is worth visiting, how ever remember the carbon is reactive with nitric so one has to be careful
Dan on average 3-5 oz of platinum can be recovered from commercial grade catalytic converters, reg vehicle are .5- 1.5 oz recovery

donthaveaclue
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 21:14

also as a cleansing before wasting any precious content it would be proper to keep the comb as lean as possible, when cutting the comb out of the cans use a zip cut on grinder from the end as to not disturb the comb. foreign material only adds to the sludge. what is the best way to filter after the first initial leeching? then a wash of some sort before going with aqua treatment

Go To Top