Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: simple spectroscopy
smokeup
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2014 at 23:44
simple spectroscopy

Anyone have a prism handy to check and see if there is a carbon line in grocery-store hydrogen peroxide. I know someone that swears up and down that the label is false and it isn't actually peroxide but a different chemical that has similar activity but has some carbon in it. I think its bull but I'd like to check.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-11-2014 at 00:18

I think this is too poor of a thread topic, with far too little information, to be tolerated. you should read the posting guidelines...

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=19...

(especially this part )
"6. The use of references

Do not open new topics without providing all the necessary references for whatever you are describing or posing as a fact. Keep in mind that a topic without a single reference to the relevant primary literature, or to sources of your claims, is effectively worthless as it provides no starting point and no reading material for a constructive discussion. "

how do you plan to use the prism as a spectroscope? materials? method? anything? guesses on what is "Actually" in it? any product MSDS links for composition?

how can you check if you don't know what your looking for? maybe give this some more thought and edit the crap out of that opening statement/question. I'm not trying to make you feel small, but put some more thought into the question you want others to look into or even comment on.
smokeup
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2014 at 08:53

Thanks for the information.

I believe my post is well within the guidelines. First, I'm not posting any fact. I'm posting a hypothesis. It would be an unethical violation of privacy to quote my source and as a hypothesis its not required. Second, use of a prism as a spectroscope is standard practice since long before you or I were born and is covered in every high school chemistry textbook I've seen.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-11-2014 at 12:22

your post lacks substance, a plan and is little more than a vague wisp of an idea...

the posting guideline for any thing other than beginnings section requires a list research or papers you read, links so others can see, a formalized question, an explanation of the thought process, your hope in terms of outcome and an explanation of your method to test the idea...

how are your going to keep other substances from clouding your data, what are you going to use for the light source, how are you gonna check your findings, etc. etc. etc.

spectroscopy was invented well before my time, and has been quite useful. but If some one simply put a prism in your hand today, would your be able to immediately come to a conclusion? I wager no... so step it up a notch.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
29-11-2014 at 23:20
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-11-2014 at 23:27

Put up a more rigorously sourced and referenced OP- or stick to the beginnings section.

Carbamide peroxide? Maybe. How to prove that? If you have a good idea, details...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 04:55

Quote: Originally posted by smokeup  
I think its bull but I'd like to check.

And you like someone else to check that with... a prism????

Dear G-d... You have no idea what spectroscopy involves, do you?

[Edited on 30-11-2014 by blogfast25]

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 05:17

He's got the 'spectrum of light' part... to be fair!

[Edited on 30-11-2014 by forgottenpassword]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 05:33

Quote: Originally posted by smokeup  
Anyone have a prism handy to check and see if there is a carbon line in grocery-store hydrogen peroxide. I know someone that swears up and down that the label is false and it isn't actually peroxide but a different chemical that has similar activity but has some carbon in it. I think its bull but I'd like to check.

So this person thinks standard USP grade hydrogen peroxide is deliberately mislabeled? Why would that even be legal or make sense to do? Also, since this person claims to know that peroxide isn't actual hydrogen peroxide, what does he say it is then?

Evaporate some... If there is no residue it likely is hydrogen peroxide and water. Other simple chemical tests can be done as well. No spectroscopy required to answer this.

Go To Top