Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spot Reaction Experiments
gsd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 20:19
Spot Reaction Experiments

While searching the J. Chem. Ed. on some topic (unrelated to this subject), I came across series of papers published during 1943 to 1945 by Fritz Feigl.

The "Spot Reaction Experiment" are used for the purposes of identification and detection in qualitative inorganic and organic analysis, in mineralogy, petrography, biological studies, spot colorimetry and also in analysis of industrial raw materials and technical products.

The Spot Reaction also provides a valuable teaching aid for a variety of chemical facts and principles.

While I do not have active interest in this topic, I thing several SM members are active in this field. This could be of some interest to them.

The series is of 11 papers which are listed in this search.
http://pubs.acs.org/action/doSearch?text1=spot+reaction+expe...

It is not difficult to get any of these papers. Just post requests in Wanted Ref. thread.

gsd
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 21:10

Feigl's books are well known and made it through several editions until his death. I'd post old libgen links for the inorganic (1972) and organic (1966) spot tests but they aren't working, like both the .org and .in sites now.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 08:20

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Feigl's books are well known and made it through several editions until his death. I'd post old libgen links for the inorganic (1972) and organic (1966) spot tests but they aren't working, like both the .org and .in sites now.

Do you mean these two?

Spot Tests in Inorganic Analysis
h t t p ://bookzz.org/book/2218954/0947ce

Spot Tests in Organic Analysis
h t t p ://bookzz.org/book/2218952/9997bf

They look very useful, particularly for anyone involved in home chemistry.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 10:00

Downloaded the first one, looks very useful.

Can't get the second one to work. Grrr. Try again later, I guess....

Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 12:56

I have been thinking about starting a thread specifically for microchemical reactions and spot tests for some time and got as far as writing my post as a Word document first because its easier to check and edit this way. I have both of the texts above and can post them but they are large >10MB files (can someone explain how you link say this page to my yandex public folder?). I have also found several other really interesting books that are much less well known such as a USBM publication on the identification of opaque minerals by microchemistry.

I got interested through my interest in minerals and this dragged me into chemistry as I tried to acquire/prepare the various reagents.

If you are interested in organic microchemistry check out solo´s link in the reference section and also Wikipedia pages for specific, mostly drug testing related, reagents.

There is also a really nice German web site for inorganic microscopic microchemical tests with wonderful micro-photographs. I don´t have the web address but search for "Atlas der mikrochemischen Nachweise der Elemente" by Dr G Rosenfeldt in google and it comes up. There are three volumes.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 13:26

Libgen is back up...wasn't sure if it was coming back or...
organic: http://libgen.org/book/index.php?md5=90bc2d435c82e8311539829...
inorganic: http://libgen.org/book/index.php?md5=827b06a0199dd0cea9a1cd8...
IDK why the inorganic is 81.5 MB...acrobat 9 pro compresses it (JBIG2 lossy IIRC) to 12.6 MB and it looks fine.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top