Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Carbonate Synthesis
RaD
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 17:23
Copper Carbonate Synthesis

If the formula is: 2CuSO<sub>4</sub> + 2Na<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O --> Cu<sub>2</sub>(OH)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> + 2Na<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> + CO<sub>2</sub>. Does that mean that I would need to use 499.37g of CuSO<sub>4</sub>, 211.98g of 2Na<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>, and 18.015g of water to get a yield of ~221.116g of Cu<sub>2</sub>(OH)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> + 284.08g of Na<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> + CO<sub>2</sub>?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 17:30

Yes and no. Those are the stoichiometric amounts, but you are assuming that you have copper sulfate pentahydrate and anhydrous sodium carbonate, are you sure you do? In addition, the reaction needs a solvent(water is the best choice) and both reactants are preferably dissolved prior to mixing slowly in a large container to prevent overflow from the CO2 foam. Mixing the two solid chemicals and 18ml of water is not going to get you your product. In addition, be aware that while yields will be good, they will not be quantitative, likely if you are inexperienced they will be around 90% due to mechanical losses/purity issues.
RaD
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 17:34

Thanks! Would using more water affect the amount of reactants needed for the equation to remain true?
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 17:45

Nope, an excess of water is just fine. Both sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate can be used as the base. I recommend that you either use sodium bicarbonate, or use cold solutions when using sodium carbonate. Because copper(II) carbonate is amphoteric, it can react with hot sodium solutions to partially re-dissolve as cuprate, which will yield a blue solution that cannot be further precipitated using more carbonate. And since the dissolution of sodium carbonate in water is exothermic, it will get pretty warm.

Last thing, be careful of fizzing; the bicarbonate reaction gives off a lot of carbon dioxide.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 17:47

Nope, water in this case is used in large excess as a solvent. This is common in many reactions which require a solvent, if one of the reactants is a relatively inexpensive liquid, it is simply used in a large excess to dissolve everything. Technically, you could use 2.5L of water here as that is the minimum amount required to dissolve everything, but using a larger amount such as 3L will lower the number of copper carbonate particles suspended in solution and make it easier to filter. When making magnesium hydroxide, if I use concentrated solutions of both magnesium sulfate and sodium hydroxide I get an unfilterable gel. Copper sulfate takes a long time to dissolve in water, warming the solution will help to speed up the process. To get an idea of what the process looks like, there is a video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uorlv05KLX4 . This reaction may be an exception to the case I mentioned above, you should be able to use 2L of hot water to dissolve the copper sulfate, then use a minimum of hot water to dissolve the sodium carbonate. The video doesn't do this, but this can result in sodium contamination in the final product.

EDIT: I didn't think of that Amos, have you had any personal experience with redissolution to cuprate? I've never had that issue.

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by gdflp]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-4-2015 at 18:30

You might want to check this, and the rest of the thread as well: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=55588#...

Yes, cuprate does form if you use excess sodium carbonate, I've had it happen a couple of times(once on purpose, so I could bottle some solution; it's really rather pretty); It's not necessarily a bad thing if all you desire from the reaction is basic copper carbonate, especially given that the reaction with sodium carbonate is twice as efficient per mole compared to sodium bicarbonate. But if you want a true double replacement reaction and to collect sodium sulfate as well, you might not want cuprate hanging around; I believe it would convert back to copper sulfate if you attempted to acidify the leftover solution as a means of collecting sodim sulfate.

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by Amos]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2015 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  

EDIT: I didn't think of that Amos, have you had any personal experience with redissolution to cuprate? I've never had that issue.

A little perspective here. In the thread that Amos linked to the poster obtained a slightly alkaline, (quote) "weakly blue" supernatant, after the precipitation. The copper(II) hexaaqua ion cannot exist in alkaline conditions, the only soluble copper form then is cuprate, which is a deep, cobalt blue. The poster obtained a light blue solution, indicating that cuprate was at very low concentration.

Get the stoichiometry more or less right and you're unlikely to get any significant quantities of cuprate when preparing Malachite.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2015 at 06:45

As mentioned above, a common mistake is forgetting to account for crystal water in your calculations. If your copper sulfate is blue, it is actually the pentahydrate: CuSO<sub>4</sub>*5H<sub>2</sub>O. This has a molecular weight of about 249.5 g/mol, as opposed to 159.5 g/mol for the white anhydrous variety. A pretty large difference that will throw off your stoichiometry.

Making copper compounds is a lot of fun, and in my experience colors can be quite different from experiment to experiment. I've made copper carbonate that appeared as a range of colors from baby blue to light green. I think it has something to do with chloride impurities (if you start with CuCl<sub>2</sub>;) or the variable nature of what we call "copper carbonate".

I've also encountered the weakly blue solution after precipitation. Stubbornly adding more carbonate does not solve the problem :P If this is indeed from cuprate, the very light blue color says that it's a very dilute solution.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2015 at 07:58

MrHS:

The perceived ‘variability’ is in my opinion due to various and often conflated subjectivities. Moisture content, granulometry and lighting all contribute to small variations in perceived colour which tend to level out if the product has been prepared properly and washed, dried and ground in comparable conditions. The ‘true’ colour is also hard to capture photographically, contributing to the general confusion. Copper basic carbonate has a very well defined chemical composition, despite its ‘reputation’ for variability, which is further reinforced by erroneous but persistent claims about 'CuCO<sub>3</sub>'.

The influence of chloride could be worth investigating because chloride contamination is so easy to determine. But personally I doubt that it contributes much.

Go To Top