Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Batteries
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 20:52
Batteries

I acquired 20 or so LiFeSO4 batteries. How would I go about extracting the lithium? If even possible. Also what safety measures should I take? Gloves and googles?

[Edited on 13-5-2015 by DalisAndy]

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
gboneu
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 01:34

I believe that it is possible. I think you could try to precipitate the Fe ions with hydrogen sulfide (SH2). (The advantage of this is that the SH2 will also precipitate the copper, led ant other metals) and after filter boil the mixture so all of the SH2 dissolved in the solution goes out. You will be left with Lithium sulfate. Now getting the lithium out of that is another thing. You could try to convert the Sulfate to Chloride and do electrolysis. Sulfate ions can be precipitated by the very famous Barium chloride, after all the sulfate ions had precipitate out add some lithium carbonate (If you dont have this, passing gaseous CO2 is the alternative) to precipitate the barium left, and then acidify the solution with Hydrochloric acid and boiling it, filter in hot and evaporate the left solution to dryness and get lithium chloride. Dehydrating those crystals and melting them for further electrolysis.
If that is from a battery you should think you're working with lead compounds and be very careful. Gloves and goggles, but batteries used electrolyte and you don't know the composition so so fire protection and safety should be in place
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 09:44

The only thing I know is there was that formula on it, and some safety stuff. But thank you

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
Alice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 10:18

Eventually by adding an alkali hydroxide to an aqueous solution. Fe hydroxides will precipitate. LiOH is soluble to some degree. By standing in air LiOH solution will react with carbon dioxide giving less soluble Li2CO3. Addition of alkali carbonate will do the same faster. With different acids Li2CO3 can get converted to different Li salts.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
I acquired 20 or so LiFeSO4 batteries. How would I go about extracting the lithium? If even possible. Also what safety measures should I take? Gloves and googles?

I think you meant LiFePO4, not LiFeSO4. But these don't contain any Li metal. They're a type of lithium ion batteries.

I also believe you want Li metal for your Nd magnet project, in which case you need lithium metal batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Description

Leo Szilard
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  

I think you meant LiFePO4, not LiFeSO4. But these don't contain any Li metal. They're a type of lithium ion batteries.

I also believe you want Li metal for your Nd magnet project, in which case you need lithium metal batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Description

This is correct. I work with a battery chemist and he'll be the first to tell you that these batteries have no lithium metal in them.

If you want lithium metal, it's readily available on the internet (depending on your location).
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 11:41

Quote: Originally posted by Leo Szilard  

This is correct. I work with a battery chemist and he'll be the first to tell you that these batteries have no lithium metal in them.

You need a battery chemist to know that lithium ion batteries contain no lithium metal? :D

gboneu
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 14:00

Nurdrage has a video in these subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BliWUHSOalU
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 16:45

Reducing Li to the metal is hard work for the home chemist. I would settle for keeping the salt as your specimen although they are mostly white and uninteresting. as I posted in another thread, you can get I nice sheet of Li metal from a lithium battery, but you must work under nonpolar solvent or argon to keep it pristine.

Beginning construction of periodic table display

Go To Top