Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potassium chlorate with metal powders?
SupFanat
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:11
Potassium chlorate with metal powders?

Did you try such mixtures?
I think, that Mg or Al are too dangerous to be mixed with KClO3 and ignited. I think that iron powder is much safer.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:31

Download "The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives" out of the forum library and read it. It will answer many of your questions.
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:32

You really should use the search engine, the forum's and Google, before starting a new thread. This has all been covered many times. Mixing Al and Mg with KClO3 was and still is to some extent commonly done, however, KClO4 is more commonly used now in such mixtures. Iron powder and KClO3, never tried that one, it doesn't sound like much fun though, storage must be difficult.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:38

Al + KClO3 (stoichiom.) is fine and burns very hot. Mg + KClO3 = flash powder.

SupFanat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 16:40

Storage? I see no need for storage.
Potassium chlorate and iron should be stored separately. Just mixing few grams and igniting would be enough, at least for me.
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2015 at 18:13

Yeah, some years back I started mixing varies things in small quantities, lighting these mixtures, hitting them with a hammer, etc, etc and from there it just grew and grew kind of like some sort of strange disease. It's a great hobby, I like it a lot. :D

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
15-5-2015 at 19:48
Armistice19
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brain sponge activated!

mad.gif posted on 16-7-2015 at 20:20
Don't remind me

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Download "The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives" out of the forum library and read it. It will answer many of your questions.

I had a gorgeous (and very old) hard copy of this book which my friend luckily found amidst a bunch of junk at a church rummage sale. I just recently lost it at a camp site, and I was only 3/4 of the way through reading it. The worst part is that even if I did find it, it was pouring down rain. I may never be the same. I was sure it would become my bible, as it was certainly becoming very dear to me. Furthermore, as far as I can tell, Tenney L. Davis is my freakin' hero.

I was also disappointed to see that the copy in the forum library did not contain the foreward about some of Davis' purposes behind writing the book (besides the class he taught). If I remember it correctly, at one point he states the possible need for young chemists to aid Allied troops by providing innovations on the WWII battlefront?

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -Albert Einstein
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-7-2015 at 20:45

The Tenney Davis book, originally written in 2 volumes, WAS intended to teach the vast number of engineers, chemists and pyrotechnists needed for production during WWII. My hard copy contains a forward indicating this-

I will compare the forum version with my hard copy when business allows. October?!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 17-7-2015 at 00:46

A couple interesting books on the subject.

Attachment: GLITTER, the Chemistry & Techniques, by Lloyd Scott Oglesby.pdf (2.7MB)
This file has been downloaded 471 times

Attachment: The Complete Book of Flash Powder.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 505 times

With more than a 4 to 1 difference in downloads I think the author should have used 'star-bursts' instead of glitter. Maybe people think the title suggests glitter the shiny sprinkle kind.

While somewhat old these titles probably should be added to the library if for no other reason than the safety information which seldom gets mentioned in this area. Knowing not to use flowers of Sulfur for instance. Not knowing that one fact alone caused severe burns to a hand one day in the early 70's as a few items were created for the 4th of July.

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top