Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disposal of chlorinated alkanes
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 14-8-2023 at 08:05
Disposal of chlorinated alkanes

Im not really sure if this byproduct is chlorinated alkanes or not but fire wont kill this monster.
It is slightly yellow in color, will not freeze and boils around 213.1c-218.0c
It will not burn unless slowly poured into a cast iron skillet heated until it turns bright red/ white, then it releases a chlorine smell.

It was accidentally created by bubbling the output of a reaction through mineral oil keep below 180c, repeatedly.
I was attempting to filter unreacted reagents and byproducts from a gas stream, they solidify below 190c.
(exact procedure)

The gasses introduced into the oil where about 400c and a mix of H2, NH3, AlCl3, and traces of NH3Cl

The yellow oil was taken off the bottom of the mineral oil(85ml), and highly contaminated with carbon
Normally when I screw up I can burn the stuff under extream conditions and destroy whatever dangerous crap I made, but this stuff doesnt burn.

After researching, i tested the starting materials, i distilled a sample of fresh mineral oil , it has a clean and sharp head temperature of 215.4c-216.1c and leaves the boiling flask completely.
According to wiki that matches with Dodecane

The yellow oil starts around 205 and keeps going until 260

Im thinking sodium hydroxide might react when the chloride to produce an alcohol and salt, enabling combustion, but this isnt my usual chemistry, im out of my safe zone here.
Any ideas are welcome.

Edit:
I found this article from the late 40s while searching for reactions that somewhat matched my conditions.
https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01195a004
Cracking of ParafIin Hydrocarbons in the Presence of Aluminum Chloride
BY V. I. KOMAREWSKY AND S. C. ULICK

Now im wandering if refluxing the mix might produce some useful lower alkanes.

Would be cool if I could make hexane and heptane out of baby oil. Till then oxy acetylene disposal and the search for a new filter media continues.

[Edited on 14-8-2023 by Rainwater]

Attachment: komarewsky1947.pdf (427kB)
This file has been downloaded 112 times

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted

Go To Top