Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ammonium molybdate
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 09:36
ammonium molybdate

Here I will give a summary of how I prepared ammonium molydate, (NH4)2MoO4, from the mineral molybdenite (MoS2).

My procedure followed that of Walton in his "Inorganic Preparations," (forum library).

Af first I tried to ball-mill the ore and work with the resultant powder. This was unsuccessful probably due to low MoS2 content. I next worked with high-grade scrapings from my ore samples, which was successful. Here's a summary from my notebook:

"Try #3: Scraped some MoS2 from a 2nd piece of molybdenite. Wt = 0.51g. Decided that the ignition needs the full heat of the Tirill burner (MAPP gas). The highest temperature measured w/TC = 550°C. Should have had at least 600°C. Need Meker burner. All the gray MoS2 did eventually turn to dull yellow after full heat was applied for 1/2hr. Wt of fired product = 0.43g. Finished product (cooled) looks almost white!

For the conversion to (NH4)2MoO4 added 3 mL water. Then added 1.1 mL 13.3N NH4OH. Mixed and then heated on steam bath. Filtered into an evaporating dish and allowed to air dry. Pure white crystals of (NH4)2MoO4 formed. Wt = 0.29g. Yield on crystallization = 44%. Phosphate test was positive.

[Edited on 31-5-2013 by Magpie]

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 09:55

I have never seen this process before, it is interesting. So then it must be the Tetrahydrate of Ammonium Orthomolybdate or is it dry? How do you get to Ammonium heptamolybdate, "(NH4)6Mo7O24" or even distinguish between them easily?

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
I have never seen this process before, it is interesting. So then it must be the Tetrahydrate of Ammonium Orthomolybdate or is it dry? How do you get to Ammonium heptamolybdate, "(NH4)6Mo7O24" or even distinguish between them easily?

My product is dry white crystals that glisten. I don't know if it is a hydrate or not. What does Walton's procedure say? For some reason I cannot open it now. My DjVu reader isn't responding for some reason.

I'm sorry I can't answer your other questions - maybe someone else can.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 14:02

Oh that's no problem at all, magpie, I have not done ANY research at all on this topic I was just seeing if you had known offhand. The only thing I know is that there are a few types of this compound and I saw that you added water that's what made me think hydrate but I know some don't work that way. Anyway cool experiment I'll add it to my to-do list. :)

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 31-5-2013 at 18:26

Excellent ground-up preparation of a most useful reagent!

As always!

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 04:19

Nice preparation, Magpie. Didn't realise it's quite so easy to synth.

I sell this product commercially and it isn't a hydrate, I don't think it has any hydrates. That's quite common with ammonium salts anyway.

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 04:39

Nice prep, Magpie. Has anyone tried this procedure starting from MoS2 grease?

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 07:45

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Nice prep, Magpie.

Thanks. As I recall the ignition was rather interesting due to the color changes taking place.

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  

Has anyone tried this procedure starting from MoS2 grease?

I wondered that myself. The powder form seems to be available in small quantity for a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-oz-MOLYBDENUM-DISULFIDE-Moly-MoS2-...

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by Magpie]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 08:41

I don't know about the grease but for Molykote P37 (Dow Corning) I found a density of 1.21 (their product datasheet).

Assuming the greasy phase is about 1 g/cm3 and for MoS2 the density (Wiki) is 5.06 g/cm3, that would point to an MoS2 content of just over 20 w%. Not bad. The grease would have to be removed with solvent extraction.

Re. the powder from eBay ('> 98 % MoS2'), at $9.99+ shipping for 25 g, I think buying it as a reagent would be cheaper.

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by blogfast25]

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 3-6-2013 at 08:40

I doubt this is (NH4)2MoO4.nH2O. From the preparations of the simple molybdate, I remember that you need to keep the NH3 concentration high by force.

When you dissolve MoO3 in 5% ammoniacal solution in water, you will get the paramolybdate, (NH4)6[Mo7O24].4H2O. The crystals forming from evaporation at standard conditions in air are also white and glistening.

The regular molybdate can only be crystallised from a strongly ammoniacal solution. Since you used 13.3N NH4OH, this may be the case, but it depends (I guess) on the speed of evaporation. If you redissolve the crystals, and measure the pH, you will know the composition of the crystals, since the paramolybdate reacts quite neutral, whereas the orthomolybdate of ammonium reacts alkaline.

Moreover, it is the paramolybdate that normally forms the Keggin cage structures containing various atoms, such as, e.g. phosphorous.

A sensitive test is the addition of a few drops of chromium alum or another soluble Cr(III) salt to the solution of your crystals. If you have the paramolybdate, you will get a chameleon reaction (check here), ultimately yielding a pink substance. If not, you will get a green or greyish precipitate of Cr(OH)3.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2013 at 17:05

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
I don't know about the grease but for Molykote P37 (Dow Corning) I found a density of 1.21 (their product datasheet).
[...]
Re. the powder from eBay ('> 98 % MoS2'), at $9.99+ shipping for 25 g, I think buying it as a reagent would be cheaper.
No doubt. McLube (yes, that's really the name) sells three different grades MoS2 powder in sizes from 1 lb. cans to 250 lb. drums. No pricing on the web site. Given that I didn't see their name on other products, I'm guessing they act as a material wholesaler.

Go To Top