Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Have I made drinkable ethanol from metylated spirits
Craftbrewer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 21:20
Have I made drinkable ethanol from metylated spirits

I thought I would share my simple experiment of making drinkable ethanol from methylated spirits as of interest to anyone.

In Australia, I used a clear brand as my starter. Diggers Methylated Spirits. The bottle and spec sheet state 95%ethanol, <5% water. I assumed from this the ethanol is sourced from natural fermentation and distillation then the denaturing agents added.

http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/products/consumer_produ...

Contacting the manufacturer, They would not state what they were, BUT were very persistant that their methylated spirits had no toxic ingredients to humans. Over here companies are worried about being sued as they know drunks drink the stuff, so make it " non-toxic".

OK lets look at the facts

In methylated spirits, what they do is add basically three categories of additions.

1. Sometimes a colouring agent to tell you not to drink it.
2. an agent that smells terrible to tell you dont drink it.
3. an agent that tastes terrible so you dont swallow it.

So I set up a good fractional column and gave it a go

1. There is no Methanol in it. It is about 95% ethanol, The temperature racing and sitting at a flat 78.5C right thru the distillation
2. Do the fractional distillation and in the remaining wash (I collected 90 percent of the volume), leaves a hydrocarbon that smells very much like thinners used in car paint.
3. Add acid and fractional distill and you remove a salt crystal that is the main bittering agent

The important bit

4. The remaining is all ethanol and one minor agent and it has a very fruity/floral smell.
5. Add water to this at 50% ethanol strength, and the compound comes out of solution (it goes cloudy)
6. It is non toxic by the way, leaves a extremely slight tingle at the front of the mouth, and is quite pleasant.

BITTERESS

Utterly no problem here. a simple acid addition, renders the bitterness agent a salt, and it wont distill out. The final product is not bitter at all, in fact very drinkable in terms of bitterness. Dare I say it, any alcoholic could drink themselves silly on the stuff.

FLAVOUR

Now the fun begins. This is where we get into some chemistry.

No matter whether its a fractional distil, or many distils, a compound comes thru that is described by all I test as " sweet smelly, a cross between thinners, and roses, or a taste like medicine."

Now lets look at separating and identifiying the flavouring compound, and even removing it to make pure drinking ethanol.

Again lets look at the facts
1.Digger insist all there metho is NON TOXIC to humans
2. Then the flavour that is distilled even thru fractional distillation means its has properties similar to water and ethanol. Totally solubile (Miscible in ethanol), comes out of solution in water at certain level (insoluble)
3. I can separate a crystal at minus 18C from a solution of 43% distillate , BUT that might be water.
4. I cant rule in or out either an ester or an aromatic hydrocarbon.
5. Smell is always described as sweet, and not petrol like. Various descriptions from fruity, floral to slight solvent-like.

Lets look at an ester.

Its probably industry based, strong, and as stated non Toxic

BUTYL ACETATE – its good, fruity, and used in industry. Its a known solvent, and totally soulble in ethanol, poor in water it seems. While fruity hasn't been described by people, its not a stretch to imagine that as a smell. One problem is the boiling point, 128C, well outside the normal distillers range.

Its also clear we could be dealing here with an aromatic hydrohydrocarbon with an azeotrope that matches and even combines with the water/ethanol azeotrope, and thus impossible to separate thru normal distillation, no matter how refined you make it. So thats leads to you the benzene family of hydrocarbons. So what molecules do match ALL the things we know about what we have distilled. Eliminate those that smell like petrol and its industry and you remove most. Then find ones that smell sweet, and have boiling points arround 80C (ethanol) Only one really falls into place.

But lets deal with one mentioned a lot

BENZENE – it fits the bill. Impossible to separate from water/ethanol mixture, boiling point right in the range of home distillers. However two main problems.

1. Its smell and flavour is described as petrol smells. thats not what one gets. It just doesn't smell like that.
2. Its toxic to human health, and Diggers have insisted they dont have any toxic compounds to human health.

so that can be ruled out

BUT the contenter that raises it head and fits the bill

CYCLOHEXANE

Most interesting compound, a deviritive of benzene.

It ticks all the boxes
1. Non toxic to humans
2. described as sweet, fruity, alderhyde, permume, slighty solvant
3. will bind to ethanol/water distillation, impossible to separate thru normal distillation
4. used in distinfectants, soaps, detergents and household chemicals to give a pleasant flavour, very safe
5. freezes at 5 c, boils at 80c (ethanol boils at 78C)

It just ticks all the boxes. Well almost, flavour described as petrol=like, which is rather obscure. Is those describing it as slightly solvent cover that bill, I just dont know. Some decriptions have detergent like smells, and its not that at all. Objectively cant rule this in or out, BUT overall to me this is the compound I have to separate

So two contenders
Butyl acetate and cyclohexane. I favour cyclohexane, as its physical properies match well to water/ethanol, it is not soluble in water, so the cloudiness. We do havean aromatic hydrocarbon, its has a noticable smell, and is safe to consume. BUT we also now have a way to remove it, no matter which it is.

next is how to remove it

OK How to remove the cyclohexane, thus making basically ethanol and water.

Lets revise the critcal facts

1. in ethanol, cyclohexane is totally soluble.
2. in water, cyclohexane is totally insoluble.

So when we dilute our distilled ethanol with water to about 43% ethanol, being soooo much water there, the cyclohexane comes out of solution and forms a haze. This haze is an emulsion (like fat in milk, extremely small droplets thru out the liquid.) Being an emulsion, we now can actually "see" the cyclohexane, so if we remove the haze, we remove the cyclohexane.

Now I was looking at various methods of removing an emulsion and there are a few, BUT wanted a backyard science method of doing it. I found two very simple methods. One I have tried with great success and detail below. The other I am still yet to test so will report when that is ready

And to go weird on people here are two facts about olive oil

3. cyclohexane is miscible with olive oil
4. ethanol/water mixes dont disolve in olive oil

What this means is cyclohexane will disolve with olive oil, no matter what the concentration is of either. So if I add olive oil, it will float on the surface, and absorb some of the cyclohexane that makes contact with it. If I shake the bottle, more will make contact with it and be absorbed. BUT only so much will over time.

Mow apply a little bit of lateral thinking and you will see where this goes.

Ethanol and water are also are miscible. Leave ethanol and water in a glass and over time, the ethanol evaporates and your left with water. Put olive oil over ethanol and water and it seals it from the atmosphere, and very little evaporates. BUT if its an olive oil and cyclohexane mix, well it still stops the ethanol evaporating, as its mixed with the water, but the cyclohexane can evaporate.

Thus the olive oil absorbs the emulsion of cyclohexane, and evaporated it to the atmosphere at the same time. my 5 litres of 43 percent hazzy distilled ethanol totally went from you couldn't see thru it to light haze in a day, and clearish in two days to totally clear in 3 days. The olive oil was simply decanted off.

The end result was very clean, no sign of the cyclohexane taste at all. Perfectly drinkable vodka. A further dilution down to 10 percent showed utterly no haze at all, meaning I had removed ALL the cyclohexane (or at least to below taste threshold levels).

So there you go, a very simple method that worked a treat.

Thought I would share this
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:10

Whatever you do with your end product (sell it or consume it yourself) have it at least analysed by a competent and independent laboratory.

It's a nice post but you're at risk of trying to bend reality into what you want it to be, without straightforward empirical evidence on the composition of your end product.

"Ethanol and water are also are miscible. Leave ethanol and water in a glass and over time, the ethanol evaporates and your left with water." for instance shows you know less than you think you do. Water and ethanol form a azeotrope at the high end of ethanol content: water and ethanol can thus not be separated beyond the azeotrope with mere evaporation of distillation. It's one of the best known azeotropes in the world, BTW.

Don't take this the wrong way but I wouldn't consume your product if my life depended on it, w/o some legit certificate of analysis. No one else should either.

You make some other categorical statements:

”There is no Methanol in it. It is about 95% ethanol, The temperature racing and sitting at a flat 78.5C right thru the distillation”

W/o analysis you can’t be that certain.

”BITTERESS

Utterly no problem here. a simple acid addition, renders the bitterness agent a salt, and it wont distill out.”

There are quite a few bitterants out there. W/o knowing which one is in the bought product how can you be so sure of your statement?

You may well be right about all these things but it seems to me there's a lot of wishful thinking in your post.

[Edited on 28-9-2014 by blogfast25]

HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:10

Now just test it with HPLC!

Edit: blogfast beat me

[Edited on 28-9-2014 by HeYBrO]

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:24

You mentioned Butyl Acetate but not Ethyl Acetate which is often used to denature ethyl alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specially_denatured_alcohol

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

From this: "Different additives are used to make it difficult to use distillation or other simple processes to reverse the denaturation. Methanol is commonly used both because its boiling point is close to that of ethanol and because it is toxic. Another typical denaturant is pyridine. Often the denatured alcohol is dyed with methyl violet."

I wonder if you considered any of these alternatives before arbitrarily deciding it must be cyclohexane. Since you stated the source was from fermentation for some industrial purpose (non drinkable) I also wonder if you considered they might allow higher concentrations of fusel alcohols than what they would allow for alcohol produced for consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol

From this: "Excessive concentrations of some alcohols other than ethanol may cause off-flavors, sometimes described as "spicy", "hot", or "solvent-like". Some beverages, such as rum, whisky (especially Bourbon), incompletely rectified vodka (e.g. Siwucha), and traditional ales and ciders, are expected to have relatively high concentrations of non-hazardous alcohols as part of their flavor profile. However, in other beverages, such as Korn, vodka, and lagers, the presence of other alcohols than ethanol is considered a fault.

The compounds involved are chiefly:

2-methyl-1-butanol - sometimes called "active" amyl alcohol
isoamyl alcohol - also known as isopentyl alcohol
isobutyl alcohol - one of the least toxic of the butanols.
n-propyl alcohol

During distillation, fusel alcohols are concentrated in the feints or "tails" at the end of the distillation run. They have an oily consistency, which is noticeable to the distiller, hence the other name "fusel oil". If desired, these heavier alcohols can be almost completely separated in a reflux still. Freeze distillation, on the other hand, does not remove fusel alcohols."

Some of these possibilities do give various flavors to the alcohol. While chemistry is not my strong point I mention these alternatives because you seemed to jump to a conclusion arbitrarily without giving consideration to the points I make here. Or at least you did not mention looking at these alternatives.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:50

@OP

Nice experiment, but why not rather make your own ethanol, by fermenting the sugar? This way you would be at least sure, that there's no toxic denaturants.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:57

During Prohibition a test for methanol in various bootleg alcohols was developed by Alexander Gettler (the famous American toxicologist). It relies on methanol being converted to the acrid formaldehyde (methanal). Here’s a version from a google book:

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 04:58

Quote: Originally posted by xfusion44  
@OP

Nice experiment, but why not rather make your own ethanol, by fermenting the sugar? This way you would be at least sure, that there's no toxic denaturants.

Just ethanol and acetaldehyde, both of which are also toxic . . .

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 05:02

@OP

His is a short cut: 2 - 3 weeks of fermentation, then rectifying to 95 % azeotrope.

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Acetaldehyde? Huh? During digestion yes, but during fermentation?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 06:59

Just me assuming some oxidation occurs in the mash . . .

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 07:04

testing for methanol is easy, just heat a copper wire and place it in then smell and see is it smells like formaldehyde. this method was used during probation in america to test alcohol if it was safe.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 07:10

Quote:
this method was used during probation in america to test alcohol if it was safe.

And didn't work particularly well then, by all accounts!

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

@OP

His is a short cut: 2 - 3 weeks of fermentation, then rectifying to 95 % azeotrope.

Acetaldehyde? Huh? During digestion yes, but during fermentation?

I think that acetyldehyde does form but not 100% sure. Anyway, some aldehyde does form. You can do a aldol condensation by adding NaOH, letting it dissolve and let it sit for 1 day.

A yellow oily liquid forms and sits at the bottom.

And perhaps products from acyloin condensation?
http://www.perfumerflavorist.com/flavor/research/4236701.htm...

This enzyme was first discovered in bakers yeast. It is responsible for the break down of alcohols into aldehydes and ketones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_dehydrogenase

As for the ketone part, is it possible that it form propanone, the simplest ketone? I don't know.

So when you make ethanol via the fermentation method, you might get some acetyldehyde and propanone as well.

[Edited on 28-9-2014 by vmelkon]

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 08:05

If you guys have any neat tricks to remove MEK from ethanol, I'm listening. :)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 08:05

Sometimes acetaldehyde will form in small amounts during fermentation, but it is usually undesirable and will only be present in noticeable amounts if there was something wrong with the fermentation. It adds a green-apple-like flavor and aroma.
Also, acetone, not propanone, is the simplest ketone.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Sometimes acetaldehyde will form in small amounts during fermentation, but it is usually undesirable and will only be present in noticeable amounts if there was something wrong with the fermentation. It adds a green-apple-like flavor and aroma.

Heh.
Acetone IS propanone.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

Heh.
Acetone IS propanone.

(facepalm)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 08:41

And didn't work particularly well then, by all accounts!

Hmmm... going by PBS' 'The Poisoner's Handbook', an excellent documentary about the lives and works of Alexander Gettler and Charles Norris, it actually worked rather well. Unfortunately some of the authorities had come up with a plan to combat methanol poisoning from bootlegged alcohol by further increasing the amount of methanol in denaturated ethanol. According to the story the deaths by methanol poisoning shot up proportionally!

Detection of methanol in drinking alcohol with the copper wire method works well because methanal and ethanal smell significantly differently.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 09:05

Quote:
Unfortunately some of the authorities had come up with a plan to combat methanol poisoning from bootlegged alcohol by further increasing the amount of methanol in denaturated ethanol. According to the story the deaths by methanol poisoning shot up proportionally!

Wow ─ 'some authorities'?

The words "bastards" and "complete" fairly spring to mind . . .

Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 11:35

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
You mentioned Butyl Acetate but not Ethyl Acetate which is often used to denature ethyl alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specially_denatured_alcohol

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

I wonder if you considered any of these alternatives before arbitrarily deciding it must be cyclohexane. Since you stated the source was from fermentation for some industrial purpose (non drinkable)

There was nothing arbitrary about choosing cyclohexane. I was n't going to list every possible chemical out there and the reason why it was eliminated. I only went for those that fit the bill. Remember it has to fit the physical profile of what I have observed, and match the taste profile.

Ethyl acetate was considered (and in low concentrations I would not mind, as it found in wine), BUT it soluble in water and always described as " pear like" or " very fruity". That does not match what I got.

It was good thought thou. Like cyclohexane, impossible to separate from ethanol/water in distillation. There are a lot of paper on the addition of cyclohexane as an additive to ethanol to denature it. All are about the safety of it if comsumed.

It forma a tri azetrope, ie ethanol/cyclohexane/water and repeated distillation will actually increase its concentration.

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 11:58

for pete's sake dont drink it and risk blindness or death.i made strong ethanol using aluminum tubing and real corn mash and smelled so wonderful.i used a steel can as a still and i'm sure it was poisonous but boy was i tempted to drink it.i once drank a substance that had detonium as a bitterent and it was horrible,i think its called detonium but i'm not sure.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
for pete's sake dont drink it and risk blindness or death.i made strong ethanol using aluminum tubing and real corn mash and smelled so wonderful.i used a steel can as a still and i'm sure it was poisonous but boy was i tempted to drink it.i once drank a substance that had detonium as a bitterent and it was horrible,i think its called detonium but i'm not sure.

What makes you so sure it was poisonous? Decent moonshine, properly distilled is not substantially different from what whiskey makers distil.

I think you meant 'denatonium'.

Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  

too late, made some gin out of it. I made the sacrifice for the sake of science and inebriation and its all good on that front.

More on that latter
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 13:02

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

You make some other categorical statements:

”There is no Methanol in it. It is about 95% ethanol, The temperature racing and sitting at a flat 78.5C right thru the distillation”

W/o analysis you can’t be that certain.

”BITTERESS

Utterly no problem here. a simple acid addition, renders the bitterness agent a salt, and it wont distill out.”

There are quite a few bitterants out there. W/o knowing which one is in the bought product how can you be so sure of your statement?

Think about the experiment and the facts.

Methanol.

1. Diggers insist from numerious sources other than me that there metho is non - toxic to humans
2. The fractional column just did not stop, slow or even glitch at anywhere at Methanols boiling temp, it shot to Ethanols temperature and sat there.
3. In Australia, if its toxic to humans it must be listed. Nothing on the bottle nor spec sheet.

Will test for methanol, BUT no real need. Its not there.

Bitterness agent.

It aint there in the distilled product. Its been drunk by quite a few people (for analysis ) and no-one finds any bitterness what so ever,

It has been removed.
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 13:15

@OP

But that's the point.

make a sugar mix and distil, and its both VERY time consuming and you have a host of potentially toxic chemicals in the mix. , When you use those Turbo Yeasts, its even worse.

Methanol, acetone, acetaldehyde, Higher alcohols are all there and in many very noticeable. Do the distil of this toxic mess wrongly, and you concentrate these, and yes even kill some-one, that happens every year around the world in the thousands.

Least with non-toxic metho, I have at least the potential to make a far safer drink, that is quite pure. If anything is toxic, or at toxic levels, well the manufacturer by law has to either state it, or make it notable so one doesn't drink it.

So far in general no-one hasn't found any substantial fault with what I have done, BUT ears are open.

As a final clean, I plan to mix and separate liquid carcoal in the mix to be totally anal. Just to get that last little bit.
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 13:19

Oh, The safety warning ie don't try this at home bit!!!!!

Metho around the world has a wealth of things added to it to denature it. Many are indeed quite toxic (methanol) or cancer causing (benzene). This experiment I did I picked my mark on the metho that was " more safe" than most.

I wouldn't do this on metho in countries where they add just about anything to the metho.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top