Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Have I made drinkable ethanol from metylated spirits
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 13:45

The Truth is Out.

CraftyBruce is going to this much trouble to get a decent beverage cos Fosters really is that bad.

Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2014 at 14:59

Nah, Fosters is just the shit we export to the rest of the world because nobody here will touch it.
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 01:18

Ethanol brewing and distilling is a very easy task to do. The main problem is that good information is scarce and you must be critical. Alcohol making is one of those myth-filled things where stupid and drunk people dominate.

Alcohol fermentation is odorless with active carbon water clogs. I have once brewed 200 liters of alcohol in an apartment and there was zero odor. This liquid is then filtered through sand and distilled with long, preferably at least 1000mm reflux column with glass. This way you can control the temperature by 0.1C intervals and you can be certain that you only get the pure ethanol-water fraction with 94-96% concentration.

I could say that ethanol making for common chemist or guy is not time consuming, but equipment-intensive to be efficient. You need to get plastic barrel for fermentation and water clogs and activated carbon, filtering equipment and hand pump(gravity) to move the liquid and a steel drum and distilling column.

Ethanol in here is denatured with pyridine and MEK. Impurities are so minor that it will do well for most amateur synthesis, but it certainly is not palatable. It is so expensive though that if any more than few liters would be needed, making it self is worth it.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 04:27

Quote:
Think about the experiment and the facts.

I have, obviously. The fact remains you’re willing to imbibe something that hasn’t been analysed.

Quote:
make a sugar mix and distil, and its both VERY time consuming and you have a host of potentially toxic chemicals in the mix. , When you use those Turbo Yeasts, its even worse.

Methanol, acetone, acetaldehyde, Higher alcohols are all there and in many very noticeable. Do the distil of this toxic mess wrongly, and you concentrate these, and yes even kill some-one, that happens every year around the world in the thousands.

So much waffle presented as fact here.

Turbo yeast is just a marketing term. They don’t work any faster in my experience. There also is no reason to believe they produce “a host of potentially toxic chemicals in the mix”. If you know better, present peer reviewed evidence to that effect.

As regards the rest of your statement, talk about turning the world on its head!!!

Thousands worldwide, myself included, brew wine and beer from a variety of fermentables, totally safely. Now Craftybugger comes around and tells us to do it from a particular brand of methylated spirits!

Oh, wait, no he doesn’t:

Quote:
Oh, The safety warning ie don't try this at home bit!!!!!

Five exclamation marks, no less...

I think you suffer from a bad case of confirmation bias.

[Edited on 29-9-2014 by blogfast25]

Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 12:15

>>>>>>>So much waffle presented as fact here.

Turbo yeast is just a marketing term. They don’t work any faster in my experience. There also is no reason to believe they produce “a host of potentially toxic chemicals in the mix”. If you know better, present peer reviewed evidence to that effect.<<<<<

Now this tells me you really don't know much about brewing. Turbo yeast is not a marketing term, Its a specially " bred" yeast, has a high tolerance of alcohol above normal yeast, around 20% alcohol, and ferments sugars quicker than normal yeast. One method used to protect it from the high alcohol content is the high level producing of acetone.

As the ethanol levels get higher, they will also produce much higher levels of your " fusals"

Do I need peer reviewed literature, NOPE!!!!! its out there freely available. Do the advanced brewing course if you want to learn more, NOT what this thread is about.

And while thousands do make there alcohol thru fermentation, there is also thousands dieing each year from not distilling it properly.

AND THATS A FACT.

Just like distilling these washed properly to avoid death (like in prohibition), why cant you see there can be nothing wrong with doing it from other sources if you know what your doing.

Have confidence with chemistry.

[Edited on 29-9-2014 by Craftbrewer]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by Craftbrewer  
Turbo yeast is not a marketing term, Its a specially " bred" yeast, has a high tolerance of alcohol above normal yeast, around 20% alcohol, and ferments sugars quicker than normal yeast. One method used to protect it from the high alcohol content is the high level producing of acetone.

Do I need peer reviewed literature, NOPE!!!!! its out there freely available. Do the advanced brewing course if you want to learn more, NOT what this thread is about.

And while thousands do make there alcohol thru fermentation, there is also thousands dieing each year from not distilling it properly.

AND THATS A FACT.

You just waffle on and on and on w/o a shred of evidence being presented. No wonder you believe in your own superpowers.

Show me peer reviewed evidence for Turbo yeasts being more resistant to alcohol than normal strains. Not marketing materials, not 'Jack on the home brew forum told me so', but actual HARD evidence.

Quote:

AND THATS A FACT.

Because you say so? Again where's the hard evidence for that?

"Put up or shut up", as Newton said to Hooke. And learn to spell while you're at it.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 12:51

The truth about Turbo yeast is it wasnt bred to matabolise sucrose! I cant remember which sugar it is bred to use (I will go find out).
My dad has a paper in for review (due to be published December), Yes it has a high tolerance to Ethanol but the matabolsm is completely different.
I will go see if I can get him to post details here, but generally for Ethanol Turbo yeast is a bad choice. Actually if you ferment to conclusion and then add 0.3% sucrose/lactose to any yeast culture you will find active yeast appear, you can use these to start other cultures and eventually you can get resistant strain. But I am not the Biologist he is so I cant tell you why at the moment sorry
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:14

Wont put up nor shut up, nor continue a topic not related to this thread.

BUT I will get back on topic with more observations.

1. The absorption of the aromatic hydrocarbon (one still presume cyclohexane) when you add olive oil is VERY exothermic -generated a lot of heat. It shows the olive oil is at least doing something, and is not just sitting there.

Of course many possible causes, BUT one is its showing its actually absorbing something. Could it be cyclohexane.

2. I collected some olive oil of a sample of distilled ethanol, as it was still active clearing out our unknown hydrocarbon (cyclohexane???) Put that in a glass so I could compare that oil oil to the one on the ethanol.

Two observations, backed by independent blind testing.

Boths oils originally went hazy, and both cleared over time. The one in the cup cleared real quick (one assuming the cyclohexane all evaporated out)

Originally both oils had that unusual smell, (interesting one stated it smelt like peppermint oil) BUT the one in the cup after two days the smell in that was totally gone. By a few days, the one in the cup was like the oil you buy, BUT the one in the ethanol jar still had that smell.

Take this how you like it. To me it shows the oil is absorbing the compound that is causing the problem, and it seems it is leaving the oil as well.

Further information on observations that support its cyclohexane.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:21

Whoah dude !

So you're saying that Olive Oil reacts/clears one or more contaminants in the ethanol ?
Proof being that it gets hot ?

Suppose the Test is if i go get some pretty pure ethanol and some olive oil.

Be right back ...

Edit:

Done that. Pure Ethanol + Olive Oil does nothing much.
Mixed well it forms an emulsion, and looks like a really good vinagrette.
No heating.

Tried Toluene as well, no heating. Odd emulsion, almost dissolved.
Got no cyclohexane to test with.

So Ethanol alone doesn't immediately react with Olive Oil exothermically.

Must be something else then ...

[Edited on 29-9-2014 by aga]

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:
Unfortunately some of the authorities had come up with a plan to combat methanol poisoning from bootlegged alcohol by further increasing the amount of methanol in denaturated ethanol. According to the story the deaths by methanol poisoning shot up proportionally!

Wow ─ 'some authorities'?

The words "bastards" and "complete" fairly spring to mind . . .

This is America we're talking about. To quote the 'grandfather' of the modern Republican party, Barry Goldwater:
"... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
... assuming "justice" means "hurting people we deem to be outside our little circle of friends", which is the way most Republicans would define it.

[Edited on 29-9-2014 by Artemus Gordon]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:23

Wont put up npr shut up, nor continue a topic not related to this thread.

1. The absorption of the aromatic hydrocarbon (one still presume cyclohexane) when you add olive oil is VERY exothermic -generated a lot of heat. It shows the olive oil is at least doing something, and is not just sitting there.

Of course many possible causes, BUT one is its showing its actually absorbing something. Could it be cyclohexane.

2. I collected some olive oil of a sample of distilled ethanol, as it was still active clearing out our unknown hydrocarbon (cyclohexane???) Put that in a glass so I could compare that oil oil to the one on the ethanol.

Boths oils originally went hazy, and both cleared over time. The one in the cup cleared real quick (one assuming the cyclohexane all evaporated out)

Originally both oils had that unusual smell, (interesting one stated it smelt like peppermint oil)m BUT the one in the cup after two days the smell in that was totally gone. By a few days, the one in the cup was like the oil you buy, BUT the one in the ethanol jar still had that smell.

Take this how you like it. To me it shows the oil is absorbing the compound that is causing the problem, and it seems it is leaving the oil as well.

It's VERY related to this topic, you just don't have what it takes to 'put up'.

If the absorption of cyclohexane into olive oil is so exothermic then that can be easily tested. I'll do it for you if you like, I've got 99.5 % cyclohexane. It seems unlikely though (to be exothermic): mixing of organics is mostly driven by Entropy, not Enthalpy.

Collect enough of the alleged cyclohexane, run a density and a BP. Compare to listed values. Better still: a Raman IR.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:26

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
I will go see if I can get him to post details here, but generally for Ethanol Turbo yeast is a bad choice. Actually if you ferment to conclusion and then add 0.3% sucrose/lactose to any yeast culture you will find active yeast appear, you can use these to start other cultures and eventually you can get resistant strain. But I am not the Biologist he is so I cant tell you why at the moment sorry

Can you also ask him if he's heard of the 'home brew deadly pandemic' our OP is alleging?

I've also heard about massive human resurrections going on in Africa right now, perhaps that's true as well?

Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:34

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/deaths-of-thre...

Just to point out it happens all the time

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:35

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
Quote:
Unfortunately some of the authorities had come up with a plan to combat methanol poisoning from bootlegged alcohol by further increasing the amount of methanol in denaturated ethanol. According to the story the deaths by methanol poisoning shot up proportionally!

This is America we're talking about. To quote the 'grandfather' of the modern Republican party, Barry Goldwater:
... assuming "justice" means "hurting people we deem to be outside our little circle of friends", which is the way most Republicans would define it.

BTW, I got that part of the story from PBS's excellent 'Prohibition' doc. I think the bastards genuinely believed increasing methanol content in denatured alcohol would provide a deterrent to bootleggers/redistillers. Considering how that market worked obviously not...

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:51

Ehhh, I don't think those dead Aussies were distilling their own mash. More likely they were trying to clean up denatured alcohol:

(from <a href="http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-05/fyi-can-drinking-moonshine-really-make-me-go-blind">here</a>.)
Methanol is a byproduct of alcohol distillation, but only forms in tiny, non-toxic amounts during regular distillation, and anyhow it is easy to separate and discard from the first few ounces of alcohol that drip from the condenser. These first few ounces contain other so-called "foreshots"--low-boiling-point compounds that come out of the still first. Methanol is among these compounds (others are acetone, aldehydes, and other undesirables) that impart unappetizing flavors to perfectly good moonshine. Any distiller worth his salt will discard these at the start, eliminating methanol (which also leads to nasty hangovers in small doses, by the way) from the equation.

So where does the methanol that causes blindness come from? It's not the alcohol itself you need to be worried about so much as the distiller. Methanol--also known as wood alcohol--is cheap, and its physiological effects on the body are the same as ethanol's, at least at first. Unscrupulous moonshiners will actually add methanol to their product to up the potency. And when they do so, the results can range from slightly unhealthy to absolutely deadly.

Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:55

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Wont put up npr shut up, nor continue a topic not related to this thread.

Originally both oils had that unusual smell, (interesting one stated it smelt like peppermint oil)m BUT the one in the cup after two days the smell in that was totally gone. By a few days, the one in the cup was like the oil you buy, BUT the one in the ethanol jar still had that smell.

It's VERY related to this topic, you just don't have what it takes to 'put up'.

If the absorption of cyclohexane into olive oil is so exothermic then that can be easily tested. I'll do it for you if you like, I've got 99.5 % cyclohexane. It seems unlikely though (to be exothermic): mixing of organics is mostly driven by Entropy, not Enthalpy.

Collect enough of the alleged cyclohexane, run a density and a BP. Compare to listed values. Better still: a Raman IR.

Oh please do and totally disprove me.

Test your sample of cyclohexane. Importantly do some double blind tastes with ppm samples in vodka. See when its detected, and see what people describe as what they taste.

While your at it test for being miscible with olive oil too.

You should have a ball disproving everything I have said
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 14:03

Those guys died from methanol poisoning from a MASH distill. I present facts as you like and you still ingot the FACTS

And back on topic, I say again. You state you have access to near pure cyclohexane

So

Oh please be scienific and totally disprove me as a good researcher would.

Test your sample of cyclohexane. Importantly do some double blind tastes with ppm samples in vodka. See when its detected, and see what people describe as what they taste.

While your at it test for being miscible with olive oil too. And of course, why not repeat my experiment in a vert controlled way with Cyclohexane and ethanol and see what happens.

I await your results with interest

You should have a ball disproving everything I have said
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 14:04

My last post is all squished over to the right side of the screen. Is that due to too many nested quotes?
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 14:08

no idea, it went that way and I cant stop it ------fixed it

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 14:58

There has been some strange deaths with fermenting Ethanol, a lot though is what you call home made wine. Some people assume you can take ANY plant and make wine from it (most to be fair you can), but some of the plants contain all kinds of alkaloids etc and some are soluble in Ethanol.
Now I dont know if this is an accurate example but there have been people that make wine from foxgloves! I have no idea if digitalis is soluble in Ethanol but thats the kind of thing I mean.
I can say that having seen (I am looking at some in a folder now) Gas chromatographs of fermentations that there is all kinds of stuff in them but nothing that nasty from straight sucrose (nothing with big peaks I can see).
He is away until tomorrow but I will get him to give me the low down on it. His paper isnt actually on the yeast as such, the yeast was being used in something to do with Embryology and vaccines (please dont ask Its way over my head). But anyway they use yeast a great deal in the work they do, nothing to do with Ethanol production as such, but obviously everything they do is documented and measured etc. So as a kind of by product of there work they get a great deal of information of yeast species.
Its a fascinating organism. I would have thought that apart from using a stupid choice of plant material to make wine from, that most deaths are actually from denatured stuff.
Unrefined sugar often works better in some ways (so I am told), from what I can remember of the conversation its easier to separate by fractional distillation because some of the metabolites make the Ethanol easier to isolate. maybe something to do with stopping Azeotropes forming or maybe different??
I dont really know now as it was a couple of weeks ago and much of it sailed way over my head lol.
on the plus side on my other name I had I showed a pic of all the different TLC plate types I have, well now the 2 wavelength UV light turned up today!!
So if I can work out which plate to use and what solvent etc, then I can do some TLC stuff on my Ethanol batch (the new one). The lamp was meant for minerals but its great!! Some the plates glow green under short lengh UV, and glow kind of dark under the longer one, I think it also has a built in filter system so I can use it without a shield (I need to check).
I would be really up for doing some TLC on fermentation mixes, I think there are 8-9 full box's of different whatman plates, so with help I should be able to get some reasonable results. I also can get access to the GC/MS every other week on a Monday (when I am off school)
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 15:13

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
The truth about Turbo yeast is it wasnt bred to matabolise sucrose! I cant remember which sugar it is bred to use (I will go find out).
My dad has a paper in for review (due to be published December), Yes it has a high tolerance to Ethanol but the matabolsm is completely different.

Side issue, I make a lot of rum out of fermented molasses. If I make a wash out of Beer yeast I get a 10% ethanol wash - maximum. Wine yeast pushes it to 15% and a Turbo yeast wash gets it over 20%

BUT the taste and hangovers are totally different, all things being equal
1. beer yeast makes a very clean rum, nice tasting, requires little aging
2. Wine yeast produces so interesting flavours, main one is a little alderhydye. Still ok mind you again little aging
3. Turbo Yeast really makes some flavours that are not nice. More methanol comes off by the way, quite significant, BUT definite some compounds are made that require aging over a year or two to dumb down to acceptable levels.

Equally hangover intensity goes up with the higher alcohol washes. The yeast will be under osmotic stress no doubt, what leaks out who knows.

Again, it shows we have no idea whats those wonderful creatures fart and wee out of them

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 15:35

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
Quote:

Can we leave politics out of this and stick to science? Anyone who wants to go blaming parties should look at the resolution voting record, the repeal administration, and the history of the prohibition party, before posting, and please keep it to Whimsy. There is a reason I don't go in there. I just want the science here.

Craft brewer, without definitive analysis, I would be very hesitant to guess at what denaturant is in your ethanol. You admit you didn't go through every possible one here for us to see, but that is how scientific peer review works. You post all your reasoning and methodologies for us to see exactly what you did and pass judgment. Have you considered using a qualitative test for ketone presence in your distillate, such as forming an adduct?
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 15:51

>>>>>>Craft brewer, without definitive analysis, I would be very hesitant to guess at what denaturant is in your ethanol.<<<<

Trying very hard NOT to guess, but I will admit this is backyard science at work. Trying hard to use simple logic on observations and what we know they use as denaturants in metho.

>>> You admit you didn't go through every possible one here for us to see, but that is how scientific peer review works.<<<<

True, BUT the list so far that I have excluded is over 50 compounds long. Many not even denaturants, just benzene derivatives. In all honesty, I would have thought with the experiments I have said done, the procedures and observations, one could do there own search of likely chemicals and rule them in or out.

>>>> You post all your reasoning and methodologies for us to see exactly what you did and pass judgment. Have you considered using a qualitative test for ketone presence in your distillate, such as forming an adduct?<<<<<

Would be happy to do such, if I could test for the formation of that adduct. To do this, I need for instance a logical starting chemical to set the reaction in process.

One doesn't just blindly add x to y and hope z pops up.

Happy to do any test if I have the ingredients. suggestion welcome.

Will look at possible adducts I can test for
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 16:21

Would be happy to do such, if I could test for the formation of that adduct. To do this, I need for instance a logical starting chemical to set the reaction in process.

One doesn't just blindly add x to y and hope z pops up.

Happy to do any test if I have the ingredients. suggestion welcome.

Will look at possible adducts I can test for

Check out patent US 2813905 A. I have performed similar adduct formations in the past, but you essentially add excess sodium bisulfite, filter our your insoluble ketone adduct, and then degrade it to return the ketone. This will provide strong evidence of a ketone while allowing some purification for further tests such as density, boiling point, specific gravity, etc. In the absence of an adduct, you could look into converting some of the cyclohexane into cyclohexanone and then re-testing. In the absence of spectroscopic/metric instruments, I would find this very convincing.
Craftbrewer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 16:51

>>>>Check out patent US 2813905 A. I have performed similar adduct formations in the past, but you essentially add excess sodium bisulfite, filter our your insoluble ketone adduct, and then degrade it to return the ketone. This will provide strong evidence of a ketone while allowing some purification for further tests such as density, boiling point, specific gravity, etc.<<<<

That I can do, for as a brewer I have heaps of the stuff lying arround

>>> In the absence of an adduct, you could look into converting some of the cyclohexane into cyclohexanone and then re-testing. In the absence of spectroscopic/metric instruments, I would find this very convincing.<<<

You read my mind, as its boiling point makes it dead easy to separate via distillation. Wasn't quite sure how to do this as to oxidise it, one add O2 but evaporates it

Oh shit, brain fart

People are now describing the flavour now after the olive oil addition and shaking (as I stated it before ) as pepermint and solvent like.

Guess what the descriptor is for cyclohexanone is, exactly that. Now I wonder if by shaking the ethanol, with the oil, I have oxidised the cyclohexane to cyclohexanone.

Gee one more piece of the puzzle in place
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top