Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of Palladium Chloride
chimhead
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 12-10-2014 at 06:06
Synthesis of Palladium Chloride

Hi there fellow Chemists,

I was just wondering if anyone here could advise on how to go about the Synthesis of Palladium Chloride. How would one go about this Synthesis?

How hard is this Synthesis?

I ask because i know a large market businesses interested in buying bulk Palladium Chloride, they have asked me to buy the product for them, however every website i have come across seems to be insanely expensive. Sigma Aldrich charge around £75.40 a gram!

Other chemical companies charge around £47.00 a gram, this is insane! because years ago i know i could get a gram of that stuff for
around 4-5 pounds or $12 in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The company has asked me to obtain at least 30 grams, so i was thinking could that be done in one
Synthesis? also is it a job for an advanced chemist?

Thanks
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 06:31

Palladium chloride is usually made by dissolving Pd metal in aqua regia. Pd won't react with HCl on its own.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
12-10-2014 at 06:33
chimhead
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 11:12

Do you know how much Palladium Chloride that would yield?

I herd Get Palladiumoxide and treat with hydrochloric or any other palladium salt treat with hydroxide to precipitate palladium hydroxide and and after filtering dissolve in hydrochloric.

Still going strait from metal would that yield the same amount as metal?
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 11:31

Reacting Aqua Regia with Palladium is the best way to go if you have Palladium metal but I would expect the reaction to be be very slow. You should add the Aqua Regia in portions intsead of adding all at once because if you do so you'll loose too much of it because of the time the reaction takes to finish. Heating will speed things up of course.

After reacting it with Aqua Regia I would sugest to precipitate Hydrated Palladium Oxide by adding Sodium Hydroxide. This is to get rid of any Nitrate contamination. After doing so, filter, wash, wash, wash (you get the point) and react with HCl.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 13:55

The palladium chloride referred to is always the anhydrous form. Dissolving palladium hydroxide in conc. HCl and evaporating the HCl only gives you the dihydrate PdCl<sub>2</sub>.2H<sub>2</sub>O, not the anhydrous form.

Dehydrating palladium dihydrate to good quality anhydrous PdCl<sub>2</sub> is not easy and requires heating the dehydrate in a stream of anhydrous HCl.

Anhydrous PdCl<sub>2</sub> can also be prepared by reacting hot Pd powder in a stream of chlorine, followed by resubliming of the anhydrous product.

None these things are 'easy'.

[Edited on 12-10-2014 by blogfast25]

greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 5-11-2014 at 22:58

Palladium chloride can be brought online easily in small amounts which sounds better than making it yourself if it is really needed for a synthesis apart from the high prices, something like $200AUD for 5 grams.

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by greenlight]
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:09

right now if i did the math right. ( i am kinda tired right now) One troy ounce should give you about 31.25g . give or take the purity. this runs about $800 -#900USD. Palladium chloride from most sites is running about $825 per 25g. Now if you don't have the lab equipment to do this take on another $100 or so. Not to mention this isn't the easiest thing to do. I would highly recommend just buying it already made.

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 20:32

A while ago I dissolved Pd in aqua regia. It was very fun and super easy, dissolves right away in one go.

After boiling down the solution I got a dry brown solid, presumed to be PdCl2. I'm kind of disappointed now to learn its probably the dihydrate.

What is the difference in reactivity between the dihydrate and anhydrous?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Go To Top