Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is that compound?
vitirol
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 15:45
What is that compound?

Hi!
I made sodium dichromate,and I tried to dissolve it in ethanol to separate it from sodium sulfate.After I filtered the mixture. When the funnel dried I saw a deep red residue dried on the surface of the funnel.
-It is slighty soluble in hot water
-The solution is yellow like potassium chromate solution
What is that thing?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 16:17

How did you make your sodium dichromate? Is it possible that your sodium ion source had some potassium contamination? Potassium dichromate and potassium chromate are both insoluble in ethanol and may be the culprit.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 16:56

Furthermore, they can react with (oxidize) ethanol.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 17:00

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
Furthermore, they can react with (oxidize) ethanol.

Can they? I thought that without an acid, such as dilute sulfuric acid, the intermediate chromate esters don't form and the chromates/dichromates themselves are thus incapable of oxidizing alcohols or aldehydes.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 19:37

Yes, gdflp is correct. The dichromate would need to be acidified to oxidize the alcohol at a substantial rate. Also, if the reaction occurred, a definitely color change would have been apparent, due to the change in color from yellow/orange Cr(VI) to green Cr(III). It is most likely still Cr(VI).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 00:23

The deep red residue is a mix of chromium(VI) and chromium(III) or chromium(IV). Even at non-acidic conditions, hexavalent chromium is capable of oxidizing ethanol, albeit slowly. A small fraction of your dichromate is converted to basic chromium(III)/(IV) compounds, which are dark green or dark brown. This, together with the orange of the dichromate, results in a dark red/brown color. The red/brown mix is partially soluble. You can leach dichromate out of it, the remaining material is insoluble chromium at lower oxidation state.

I once did an experiment with dichromate dissolved in water and added a solution of chromium(III) sulfate to this and added no acid. The resulting clear solution very slowly produced a dark brown precipitate (it took many days), which according to what I read is CrO2 (in the past this CrO2 was used in tapes for audio recording). Maybe this is what happens in your situation as well.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 03:11

In the future, rather that trying to use solvent extraction for such a strong oxidizing agent, you might want to consider concentrating and cooling the mixed solution to fractionally crystallize out the sodium sulfate. This can also be done before the chromate is acidified to dichromate, as sodium chromate is several times more soluble in cold water than sodium sulfate is.

Another option is to add potassium chloride to your dichromate solution, which will cause the considerably less soluble potassium dichromate to crystallize out.

vitirol
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 09:19

Thanks for woelen and almos,i forgot to write,i tried to separate the sodium sulfate from the dichromate with adding ethanol to the solution of it,and only sodium sulphate precipitated out (I think,because it was pure white) than i filtered it and I saw the red residue I wanted to know what is this compound( n that case , mixture of compounds)
Thanks again! :)
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 09:41

Can you explain the procedure you used? Why was sodium sulfate in there to begin with?

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
vitirol
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:45

I made sodium chromate by the reaction of chromium(III)hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide,then i boiled out the water,i measured the weight of it, and finally i calculated out the necessary volume of sulfuric acid and i did the exeriment (i used diluted sulfuric acid,37w/w%)

[Edited on 24-3-2015 by vitirol]
vitirol
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 10:47

*...by the reaction of...
Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 16:13

The same can also be done by dissolving chromium carbonate or hydroxide in sodium hypochlorite solution, producing chlorine gas as a byproduct.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 17:24

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
The same can also be done by dissolving chromium carbonate or hydroxide in sodium hypochlorite solution, producing chlorine gas as a byproduct.

There no such thing as chromium(III) carbonate. Cr(III) soluble salts with soluble carbonates yields Cr(OH)3 and carbon dioxide, not Cr(III) carbonate.

Potassium chromate can also be obtained by fusing Cr(III) oxide with potassium nitrate. Leaching with water then gives a K<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>4</sub> solution, with very good yield.

[Edited on 25-3-2015 by blogfast25]

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 17:52

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by Amos  

There no such thing as chromium(III) carbonate. Cr(III) soluble salts with soluble carbonates yields Cr(OH)3 and carbon dioxide, not Cr(III) carbonate.

Potassium chromate can also be obtained by fusing Cr(III) oxide with potassium nitrate. Leaching with water then gives a K<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>4</sub> solution, with very good yield.

Ah, my mistake. Rather I should have said "the product formed from solutions of soluble chromium(III) salts and sodium carbonate". Now I know. I was unaware of the route using potassium nitrate; what waste gases are given off as a byproduct?

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 18:42

Just speculating on the equation here...
4KNO3 + Cr2O3 --> 2 K2CrO4 + 4NO2 +1 1/2 O2. Just a guess, first I've heard of this route to potassium chomate as well.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 00:09

No, this reaction does not produce any NO2, nor any O2. I have tried this kind of reactions with KNO3 as oxidizer (it works with many compounds as reductor) and never saw dense brown gases emanating from the hot mixture. I would expect N2 as waste gas.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
No, this reaction does not produce any NO2, nor any O2. I have tried this kind of reactions with KNO3 as oxidizer (it works with many compounds as reductor) and never saw dense brown gases emanating from the hot mixture. I would expect N2 as waste gas.

How did you determine that no oxygen was given off? Assuming the equation would be along the lines of this:

4 KNO3 + Cr2O3 = 2 K2CrO4 + 2 N2,

There are 7 more oxygens that need to go somewhere...

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 07:30

From my lab notes:

2 KNO3 + Cr2O3 === > K2Cr2O7 + 2 NO

I used 10 g Cr2O3 and 20 g KNO3 and heated that mixture in a nickel crucible at medium Bunsen heat for about 45 minutes. After cooling 20 ml of water and a few drops of conc. H2SO4 were added and the crucible gently heated on a hot plate to dissolve the reaction products. The crucible content was then transferred to a small glass beaker, a little more water added and the solution hot filtered. On cooling/chilling the K2Cr2O7 crystalized out.

The amount of unreacted Cr2O3 left on the filter was practically zero, indicating a high degree of conversion. The Cr2O3 used was a very inert grade: attempts at fusing it with KOH previously had yielded absolutely no solubilisation whatsoever.

Molten KNO3 is a very strong oxidiser/solvent.

Amos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 17:20

Ah, this makes much more sense now! I'm a lot happier to see that the ratio needed is only 2 KNO3 per mole of Cr2O3. I'll have to use this method if I ever run out of sodium dichromate.

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 00:30

This reaction also requires alkali if you want good yield at relatively low temperatures (still appr. 300 C though). The alkali has the added benefit that it melts at relatively low temperature and then dissolves KNO3 and Cr2O3. I do not believe that NO is formed in any of such reactions. NO immediately reacts with oxygen from air to form NO2 and you would see copious amounts of dense brown fumes. Nothing like that appears.

The following net reaction occurs:

6 KNO3 + 5 Cr2O3 + 14 KOH --> 10 K2CrO4 + 7 H2O + 3 N2

You can also do this with NaNO3 and NaOH, or KNO3 and NaOH, but in the latter case you get mixed Na/K chromate.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 07:49

This reaction also requires alkali if you want good yield at relatively low temperatures (still appr. 300 C though). The alkali has the added benefit that it melts at relatively low temperature and then dissolves KNO3 and Cr2O3. I do not believe that NO is formed in any of such reactions. NO immediately reacts with oxygen from air to form NO2 and you would see copious amounts of dense brown fumes. Nothing like that appears.

I carried out the reaction without ANY alkali at all, on a tip by ‘plante’.

I did not observe any NO2 either but I don’t see how the reaction equation can be balanced without loss of NO (which of course oxidises immediately to NO2).

During fusion the mass changed from dark green to dark red/brown. The fusion product dissolved in hot acidified water very easily and was clearly almost 100 % K2Cr2O7.

10 g of Cr2O7 would generate about 0.13 mol of NO (and thus NO2), or over 2 L at STP. Hard to miss, of course. I carried out the reaction in my shed cum laboratory, with good ventilation, but didn't see or catch even a whiff of NO2. So I’m not sure what the explanation is here.

‘Tim’s’ (who used to post here too) chromate preparation using Cr2O3, NaOH, KClO3 (and some KCl):

http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms/Chem_Chromate.h...

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 13:58

Interesting that you did not use any alkali. Normally, the KNO3-assisted oxidation, or KClO3-assisted oxidation, uses alkali and Tim indeed used that too.

I think that in your case you get the following two reactions, which run in parallel:

2 KNO3 + Cr2O3 --> K2Cr2O7 + N2 + O2
4 KNO3 + 2 Cr2O3 --> 2 K2Cr2O7 + 2N2O + O2

The reaction mechanism most likely is an indirect one. Initially some K2Cr2O7 may be formed plus tiny amounts of N2 and NO. K2Cr2O7, however, is less stable than K2CrO4 at high temperature and loses oxygen. The resulting material then is oxidized again by the KNO3. So, after a small initial formation of NO, further reaction products are N2, O2 (and possibly N2O). These gases do not react with each other at 300 C or so, that would require MUCH higher temperatures and this also explains why you did not notice any brown fumes and did not smell any NO2.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2015 at 16:19

The reaction mechanism most likely is an indirect one. Initially some K2Cr2O7 may be formed plus tiny amounts of N2 and NO. K2Cr2O7, however, is less stable than K2CrO4 at high temperature and loses oxygen. The resulting material then is oxidized again by the KNO3. So, after a small initial formation of NO, further reaction products are N2, O2 (and possibly N2O). These gases do not react with each other at 300 C or so, that would require MUCH higher temperatures and this also explains why you did not notice any brown fumes and did not smell any NO2.

I'm not so keen on highly speculative reaction mechanisms like that. I think it would firstly be necessary to examine the precise composition of the released gas. I think I might try and do that.

One thing's certain: the preparation works and if it doesn't generate any NOx, that's a bonus. Not having to use any alkali is a boon too, IMHO, which is why I wanted to try it.

Go To Top