Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Methylation of phenols
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 16:56

Methyl iodide is actually only a suspected carcinogen (at least last time I looked), whereas dimethyl sulfate IS a carcinogen. Just a little something to think about... I agree about the volatility issues involved though.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 18:52

Like in that book by Gergel posted in the library. He was severely poisoned by MeI but apparently lived to tell the tale.

What defines a carcinogen? Ability to cause mutations?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 20:07

No. Thats just a mutagen. Lots of things that are not carcinogenic are mutagenic.

Carcinogen is ability to cause cancer. If it is proven to cause cancer in animals (usually rodents), and is reasonably anticipated to cause cancer in humans then the compound is labeled as a suspected carcinogen. If through exposure studies (generally sampled from workers who use the chemical) there is found to be a statistically significant increase in cancer (that is shown independent of other agents) then the compound is labeled a carcinogen.

It is often difficult to prove something a carcinogen in humans because you can't exactly put someone in a cage and expose them to ungodly quantities of certain chemicals, so it is hard to establish that the causes of cancer in the group you are researching are not caused by other factors. This is why so many compounds are labeled as "suspected carcinogens".

[Edited on 2-15-2011 by smuv]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 14-2-2011 at 20:10

I had one bad experience making dimethyl sulfate. I made it several different ways and experimented quite a bit with it. In a good hood no less, but I still do not like it and shall not ever mess with it again. Let me give you some advice all, give it ample time to hydrolyze and be not impatient! For if you take your reaction out of the fume hood under the assumption that it is all gone, be very sure!

mr.crow, I was about to mention that it never killed Mr. Gergel. But I think he mentions extreme insomnia only curable with phenobarbital following that exposure. It works a treat for starting a Grignard formation.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 14:40

Crosslinking threads: Trimethylsulfonium bromide and its use for the methylation of phenols (in Prepublication section)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 29-5-2011 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Paddywhacker, DMFDMA methylates only exceptionally and it does so trough the Me2N<sup>+</sup>=CH-OMe cation which forms after protonation and MeOH elimination. This however does not form in the basic media required for the deprotonation of most phenols (their pKa is generally from 9 to 10). Therefore DMFDMA does methylate carboxylic acids and sometimes it even leads to some methylation of very acidic methylene groups as a side reaction (instead of cleanly introducing the =CH-NMe2 group). But in my opinion with phenols it could utmost just O-formylate them unless under some unusual conditions or using very acidic phenols as substrates (like nitrophenols).

Nicodem to Nicodem: You are so full of shit! DMF-DMA does methylate all kinds of phenols. They need not to be particularly acidic.

Nicodem to Nicodem: Really? Please provide a reference!

Nicodem to Nicodem: If you would have taken 5 minutes to do a literature search, instead of speculating, you would have found that this has been known for over 30 years (see Tetrahedron, 35, 1675-1735). And just a few days ago, a more detailed study was published (see Tetrahedron Letters, 52, 2776-2779).

Nicodem to Nicodem: Interesting. So I was wrong again. Anyway, you should not trust anybody who claims anything without a reference, you dumbass!

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
indiangold
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2011 at 22:14

one more rather uncommon methylating agent is phenyl trimethyl ammonium chloride. It is especially useful to methylate phenolic groups in compounds that also contain 3° amine functions. it is used is for conversion of morphine to codeine.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 30-6-2011 at 17:10

Quote:

It is often difficult to prove something a carcinogen in humans because you can't exactly put someone in a cage and expose them to ungodly quantities of certain chemicals, so it is hard to establish that the causes of cancer in the group you are researching are not caused by other factors. This is why so many compounds are labeled as "suspected carcinogens".

actually you can, big industry dumps chemicals in impoverished neighborhoods all the time.
the people can't leave because they don't have the resourses.
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 17:34

Wow-wow-wow, hold on a second
Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
Methyl tosalate - the methyl ester of p-toluenesulfonic acid is another methylating agent. Low vapour pressure, the resulting alkali salt of the acid can be converted to the chloride (for making the Me ester) using the S-Br2 method

So this man is telling that you can actually convert sodium tosylate to tosyl chloride with something except phosphorus chlorides and thionyl chloride?
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 23-4-2015 at 22:47

Well, he's only half wrong. It's generally agreed that S2Br2 converts sulfonic acids to their anhydrides by an unknown mechanism; presumably the disulfonyloxydisulfide intermediate is too unstable to isolate. However of course other reagents exist; cyanuric halides come to mind, as does antimony pentachloride.

What's more interesting to me is I'm still pretty sure the pyrosulfate route will work with methanesulfonic acid (possibly toluenesulfonic acid), even though it didn't work with acetic acid. Sulfonic acids do not undergo aldol condensations nor are they easily oxidized, alleviating two possible side reactions, and Ms2O is significantly more volatile (bp 30º lower) than MsOH.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top