Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: NHN based improved primary composition
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 01:45

I did make a cap with 1.1g of melt-cast ETN, 0.3g of pressed powder ETN and 0.5g of NHN (no mix) I added such a large amount of NHN because I wasn't sure if 0.2g or 0.3g would set it off. Maybe it would. As I mentioned, that cap is what made me want to leave since it was so loud and powerful that it got me spooked.

I think ultimately my issue was the plastic pen bodies. If I used steel/aluminum caps I would have realized my goal sooner.

Do you think 0.2 or 0.3g of pure NHN will set off .45g or 1g of PETN? I have some PETN made and I could use that instead of ETN (and the chlorate/nhn mixture should work if it doesn't). How would I know if I pressed the PETN to 1.4g/cc? Can that be done by hand or does it need some kind of press?

I did read that definition BTW, too.

Quote:
The amount and type of primary explosive is not important as long as it is enough to ensure full detonation of the PETN, and that really doesn't take a lot. 0.1 g of a high quality primary (eg. NAP, NiCP, AgNT, Pb(N3)2) is plenty.

I know Pb(N3)2 is lead azide, but what are the rest? Forgive me, but I don't recognize NAP, NiCP, or AgNT
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2023 at 12:09

I haven't had the chance to get out to try them on witness plates yet, the weather and finances and all that jazz... but I decided to break out my 'bad' NHN batch. It doesn't work as well as other NHN stuff I got (it burns visibly much slower and its color is far more muted and not the vibrant purple that NHN is supposed to be) and I decided to make 5.5g of the mixture. I am going to see how much I can pack into 50mm steel tubes.

Maybe the confinement and added chlorate will compensate for the poor quality of the NHN, but if it doesn't work out. I will render safe the remaining amount of bad NHN with a cold sodium hydroxide solution and dispose of it.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2023 at 00:38

@ManyInterests: I didn't see your question about the other primaries before just now, but here is a little clarification: NAP is tris(aminoguanidine)nickel(II)perclorate, NiCP is tris(carbohydrazide)nickel(II)perchlorate (so basically the same as NAP just with a different nitrogen rich ligand), AgNT is silvernitrotetrazolate. They are all high performance primaries.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2023 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
@ManyInterests: I didn't see your question about the other primaries before just now, but here is a little clarification: NAP is tris(aminoguanidine)nickel(II)perclorate, NiCP is tris(carbohydrazide)nickel(II)perchlorate (so basically the same as NAP just with a different nitrogen rich ligand), AgNT is silvernitrotetrazolate. They are all high performance primaries.

Thanks, those look like something I might be interesting in making in the future. I am sure there are processes on making them.

Since the improved composition here is a high performance one, I think maybe you are right. Just 0.2g with a large ETN charge (melt-cast 2g in a metal body of course) will be sufficient. If I was planning on making an ultra powerful composite detonator.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2024 at 20:51

Just calling to attention this. I made a test with this composition on a 1mm test plate. The picture is here:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=14...

I did two tests, the other one is a much longer and more powerful ETN blasting cap. Did you get similar results with just the NHN? Did I do something wrong? I used around 0.9g.
untrained professional
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-3-2024 at 22:41

Might a balanced mix of nhn and tacp perform well
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2024 at 23:50

Quote: Originally posted by untrained professional  

A spontaneous explosion can occur due to the formation of a highly sensitive Ni-hydrazine-perchlorate and the reaction of N2H4 with copper salt.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-3-2024 at 00:33

I am no expert on this kind of energetic materials, but this combination most likely is not stable. From personal experimenting I know that hydrazine and copper(II) cannot coexist for any length of time. Copper(II) is reduced by hydrazine to metallic copper.
Whether the suggested mix may explode or not I do not know. I read that nickel(II) hydrazine perchlorate seems to be quite sensitive. It might be that the disruption of the hydrazine coordination complex with copper(II) provides energy for setting off the nickel(II) hydrazine perchlorate, but I am not sure about that.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 26-3-2024 at 03:08

Etanol described it perfectly. Nothing else to say....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2024 at 20:17

I mix wet NHN and TACP. It decomposes with foam, bubbles and orange Cu or Cu2O powder as product for a few hours.

[Edited on 21-4-2024 by Etanol]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 20-4-2024 at 21:26

And final material will the mad mixture with content Copper hydrazine perchlorate which explode during a drying process.....:D

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top