aeacfm
Hazard to Others

Mood: chem

[*] posted on 19-10-2011 at 14:02
shells , orbitals

it makes me confused a little bit because i cant imagine it
the orbitals and the shells
i cant imagine the position of these orbitals in the whole principle shell
does this principle shell include the orbitals??? or it is only imaginary circular lines so that we can arrange these orbitalsals
als

i know that the orbitals are probability .... so is the principle shell also probability or accurate????????
???
can some one indicate with pictures ????

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 05:15

This should be moved to beginnings...

stygian
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 13:19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital has pictures.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 22:25

His question is about how the orbitals all fit together within an electron shell.

Pretty much, orbitals want to be spherical. s orbitals are lucky and are able to be spherical. p orbitals, unfortunately, are dumbell shaped. However, when 2px + 2py + 2pz are all taken together, it's sort of spherical. The intersection of these three orbitals is a node and it intersects the center of the 2s orbital.

The specific location in space of the principle shells is probabilistic. This has been the source of many questionable quantum chemical calculations (e.g., "long bonds").

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 05:30

Quote:
Pretty much, orbitals want to be spherical. s orbitals are lucky and are able to be spherical. p orbitals, unfortunately, are dumbell shaped. However, when 2px + 2py + 2pz are all taken together, it's sort of spherical. The intersection of these three orbitals is a node and it intersects the center of the 2s orbital.

so in space they interfere or overlap ( but not bonded) , and no major shell held them

fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 11:39

Orbitals are mathematical constructs within which waves can exist. The shapes we commonly use for p, d, and f orbitals are not the only solutions for the wave equations, just the ones that are most useful for other problems in chemistry. They are simply ways in which the appropriate number of electron probability densities can be combined to form a sphere with an appropriate number of nodes. An s orbital can accommodate 2 electrons in a sphere, a set of p orbitals can accomodate 6, a set of d orbitals can accomodate 10, etc., and within any shell x,, each orbital will need x-1 nodes or phase changes (eg, 1s will have no nodes, each 2s or 2p orbital will have 1 node, each 3s, 3p, or 3d orbital will have 2 nodes).

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 05:12

Download Quantum Atomica. I've been using it for almost a decade. There's a plethora of orbitals to view, and lots of viewing options, too. Even anaglyph. :)
It's the best software of its kind out there, IMO. Too bad the team stopped developing it.
It's smooth to work with, but would definitively need a revamp to enter the age of Vista/7.

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2011 at 06:42

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Download Quantum Atomica. I've been using it for almost a decade. There's a plethora of orbitals to view, and lots of viewing options, too. Even anaglyph. :)
It's the best software of its kind out there, IMO. Too bad the team stopped developing it.
It's smooth to work with, but would definitively need a revamp to enter the age of Vista/7.

thank you too much it is very good , worked on win 7well

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2011 at 09:48

ok , as i still can't get the idea i will ask it again in other words :

is energy level just an indication ( or some value) that says every set of electrons have nearly the same energy ( those found in the energy level??? and no existence of the circular orbit like planetary model in which e- orbiting ???? even electrons dont orbit around nucleus but moving every where and probability of finding it in some places is bigger than others
only orbitals exist

is that right ???

Go To Top