Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A bit of help appreciated...
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 15:40
A bit of help appreciated...

Today I was walking to the sink with a beaker of H2SO4 and a face shield. I was very startled when something bumped my faceshield and a couple drops (literally) of H2SO4 went flying. I quickly neutrallized the acid- BUT- The old epoxy floor is bleaced in 2 1.5" places. It is going to eventually be noticed by my mom and dad... and I don't want then to think I can't handle myself with acid (I can... if I couldn't, everything would be a whole lot worse and the acid wouldn't have been neutrallized.). As horrible as this sounds, I am trying to thing of:
a. an excuse
b. A way to buff it out.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

Ohh... btw... my mom and dad don't know much abt chemistry, so I could lie and say "isopropyl alcohol can damage epoxy floors" but I don't like lying.

[Edited on 25-11-2011 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 16:21

If you got to it right away with water/neutralizer the bleached areas should be shallow. You could take some sand paper and remove them by abrasion. Then, if it still did not look right you could buy some epoxy and fill in the divots. You can buy a Devcon clear epoxy kit for <$6 at Ace. You might have to add your own pigment to get a color match.

There might be garage floor repair kits also.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 16:41

My advice is to tell the truth and be up front about it. These people are ones you trust and love, not strangers.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
Ohh... btw... my mom and dad don't know much abt chemistry, so I could lie and say "isopropyl alcohol can damage epoxy floors" but I don't like lying.

Lie.
It's not like you did something "wrong" per se, and it's not like you're some kind of a moron that will use this occasion to "adapt to even greater lies :o".

Just lie. End of story.

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 17:03

Tell the truth.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 25-11-2011 at 21:20

Believe a notorious liar when I say truth may be the costliest immediately, but in the really long run, truth gains respect and trust.

Just tell them as soon as possible, and perhaps offer to repay them somehow. Usually that shows resolve and parents likes that in their kids..

But if you can get the stain to disappear, then there is no point to tell them...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2011 at 05:36

White lie. If your parents don't know much about chemistry just a look at a bottle of conc. H2SO4 could send them into a tail spin.

If you feel bad about it you can always come clean much later on: 'mom, erm... about that 'isopropanol little accident', right?'

woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Pruned
28-11-2011 at 00:02

Go To Top