Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: copper zincate?
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 05:47
copper zincate?

i took some zinc hydroxide and dissolved it in NaOH then i took the mixture and added a solution of copper sulfate. this formed a dark blue percipitate that looks nothing like copper hydroxide is this copper zincate of a big mistake?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 09:22

In all likelihood your precipitate is Cu(OH)2, coloured darker than usual due to some cuprate formation. In very alkaline conditions, copper hydroxide forms Cu(OH)42- (cuprate anions) which are deep cobalt blue. Copper (II) is amphoteric.

But even without cuprate formation, it's unlikely a copper zincate was formed due to the extreme insolubility of Cu(OH)2 and the alkalinity of sodium zincate solutions.

[Edited on 28-9-2013 by blogfast25]

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
28-9-2013 at 09:26
JasonHerbalExt
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2013 at 19:32

I did't find out copper zincate's Ksp. I guess OH- binds Cu2+ first. ....There are ZnO2- in the solution....So, I dont know.

Hi, I am fond of doing researches on herbal extracts and related drugs. I am happy to discuss with you from scientific groups and would like to share my topics and views on medical herbs.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-9-2013 at 02:58

More likely you'll form an alloy oxide by fusing them at high temperature. I don't know what the oxide phase diagram looks like; there might be an intermediate compound (which might be a "zincate") but it may simply be a eutectic system (the melting point is depressed by combining them, but they crystallize separately). Don't see it happening in aqueous solution.

Another intriguing question: is there such a thing as chromium(III) chromate(VI)? (Probably dichromate given the pH range of both ions. And depending on the ligands of the cation.) Would it precipitate CrO2 on dehydration? What about other transition metal cations and anions? (For example, something like copper chromate is already fully oxidized and can't disproportionate to intermediate states.)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 29-9-2013 at 03:27

i can't study it because after a while it decomposed to a mix of white powder and light blue powder. these are probable the hydroxides

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate

Go To Top