Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The novel and uncharacterized compounds thread.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 16-12-2013 at 08:23

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Using the hydrate as a basis really complicates matters needlessly.

Tell Gmelin whose data and notation I quoted without modification.

I think you don't understand very well how two phase systems like these work and shouldn't be let near any published solubility table.
[Edited on 16-12-2013 by blogfast25]

Maybe you care to explain how you inferred that?

Edit:
Re. stability, lots of hydrates aren't very stable either: cases of efflorescence or deliquiesence galore!

Right.

And in addition, there are compounds that seem to reach an equilibrium hydrate with their environment or crystallise in a (seemingly) non-stoichiometrical hydrate. Cobalt sulphate, to mention an example.

Getting back on topic, this is why I think the home experimentalist's observations are valuable. What do we, amateur experimenters, find in practise? (I seem to remember something close to a 6.5 hydrate on two dehydration experiments I did for cobalt sulphate.)

[Edited on 16-12-2013 by Bezaleel]
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2013 at 13:49

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  
Getting back on topic, this is why I think the home experimentalist's observations are valuable. What do we, amateur experimenters, find in practise? (I seem to remember something close to a 6.5 hydrate on two dehydration experiments I did for cobalt sulphate.)

The home experimentalist's observations have very little value for a project like Wikipedia, if the science isn't peer reviewed. It's a recipe for disaster to count on every Dick, Tom and Harry to provide unchecked data for any public data project.

Your '6.5 hydrate' for CoSO4 is a case in point. What was the methodology used? How and what did you measure and with what precision? What about repeatability? And so on. Most home experimentalists wouldn't have the answers to those questions (others wouldn't understand them), making their claims about this hydrate or that hydrate extremely doubtful and of little scientific value.

I love also that qualifier 'in practice', as if we're somehow capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff by our 'practice'. In some cases that may even be true but for most of us it simply isn't so...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top